Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire discounts

Poster: A snowHead
ami in berlin, can't help with the question about the licence (I have a UK licence) but I'd be surprised if the hire company declined to give you the car because it wasn't issued by the UK. The choice of car offered by the HA website seems fairly arbitrary other than being approximately the same size as what you end up with (although I occasionally get upgraded if they've run out of economy size cars).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just thought I'd revive this thread as I've not yet booked car hire for our trip in March (from Geneva) and I wondered if there are any other cheap deals/links out there before I go ahead and book.

Also we'll be booking 2 cars - anyone know of any discounts for multiple bookings?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmalade, Opodo were cheapest for the car hire I booked from there LAST week for March (edited)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 16-12-07 22:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Europcar have about 20% off bookings at the moment, running until about mid Jan
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've never had a car (in winter) from GVA Swiss side without chains and winter tyres and I've only once had to pay extra (I'm 99% sure it was Budget, can't remember which broker).

Anyway, they have chains and winter tyres for every car so you're perfectly safe not to pre-book these things and pay them locally if you have to.

Oh, and a friend of mine declined to pay for chains with Sixt, it snowed heavily, he had a nightmare ! I had to take his kids back to Geneva including crossing the border without their passports, fun and games !

Hello snowheads, Smile

I just booked a car hire for Geneva airport (Swiss side) for the first week of February to go to Les Arcs. I used http://www.amigoautos.com/ as a broker, which seemed to be the cheapest option for the configuration we required (an estate compact car, e.g. a Ford Focus estate), and we got Sixt as the actual provider. I also tried the recommended holidayautos link but unfortunately for this particular week it's far from the cheapest.

My question is about the winter tyres and snow-chains: as recommended in several threads here in these forums, I didn't pre-booked any of these items. Trying to avoid to pay for it, what I'm supposed to act ?
Just go the desk pick the keys and hope the car is equipped with it ?
Or should I mention it to the guys in the desk ? In this case, am I close to be asked to pay for it ?

As this is my first time Embarassed , could you give me any tips on that ?

Regards,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just thought I'd bump this as I have used FtS link:

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

3 times in the last 15 months and it is the cheapest I have found for Boston, USA. And I am using it again for a trip next month.

Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TimDog, thanks - identical booking through travel supermarket with holiday autos £235, using your link £199 Shocked

edit: £199 plus £22 for CDW, but still cheaper

well, now I'm confused. I have actually been charged £257 Puzzled Not impressed with the link at all now Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 3-06-08 22:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't use the BA EXec club code with Hertz at Geneva...it makes it more expensive Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin, For most hire companies i have delt with the type or make of car you get is usually down to what cars they have available when you arrive and not what you booked!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used that link a couple of weeks ago, no nasty questions asked. Pity the car had a bum alternator, I missed my flight home cos I couldn't get the car started!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brock wrote:
ami in berlin, For most hire companies i have delt with the type or make of car you get is usually down to what cars they have available when you arrive and not what you booked!
Hiring in Boston, I book a sub-compact and get upgraded for free as they don't normally rent those in the USA Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TimDog, nice and sneaky!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brock wrote:
Thanks brock. That's more than five months after the fact, of course. As it was, when we showed up at the counter, four people with ski gear and suitcases, they gave me a free upgrade to something bigger. No problem at all using the code, by the way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just though this needed a bump Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simo1234 wrote:
thanks all. my current problem is that many of the operators rental desks at Friedrichshafen close at 12 noon on saturdays - I don't arrive until 5pm. I have found a few e.g. Hertz that are still open but need to book directly - holidayautos database does not seem to recognise this and is unable to quote on collections after noon

I'll try Arguscarhire and moneysavingexpert but fear the same.

Specifically I'm searching for a Hertz promo code???

I had this last year, rang up HA and they took a booking over the phone which the internet was not allowing and when I arrived at the desks the keys had been left with the only desk that was open (so if my booking was Avis but they were shut I just picked up the keys from say Europecar who were open).
snow report
A liitle off topic, ;
whats the best way to get a free upgrade when u pick up your car
ski holidays
kendub wrote:
A liitle off topic, ;
whats the best way to get a free upgrade when u pick up your car

Don't know how it happens, but I've booked 3no economy cars off Budget Geneva this year and each time I've ended up with a 4X4 Confused still - not complaining at least it means I can confidently turn down the extra they want to charge for chains.
snow report
kendub, its seems to be a lottery, we have always been upgraded at Geneva, but always receive the category of car we've booked at Turin.
ski holidays
Having used the one account/Holiday autos option for a couple of years now, I have found this company:

https://www.cartrawler.com

that seem to be offering cheaper (40 quid on a 400 pound lease cost) car hire.

Does anyone know anything about them?
snow conditions
TimDog, not come across them before. A private individual can't book through that website though . They appear to be a 'screenscraper' site for use by others such as airlines, travel agents etc,
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I'm looking at the booking screen right now:

https://www.cartrawler.com/affiliates/afullrequestBook.asp?clientID=

edited to remove private info

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-06-09 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
TimDog, I don't get that when I look. There doesn't appear to be a link on the website to book from this end, although I can follow your link and change it to UK.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, sorry - started from here:

http://www.auto-hire-online.com/

Smile
snow report
TimDog, ah, now that is more familiar. Sure I've used it before, but not booked through it.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, thank you Smile
ski holidays
Have a look at the main companies directly on the off chance they have offers. Booked for next year with one of the big companies directly for less than the discount sites. Very odd.
latest report
http://www.auto-hire-online.com/ whick links to www.cartrawler.com have dfinitely improved on price as compared to holidayautos/oneaccount.

Boston, 9th July for 11 days - covertible - 331 pounds v 392 pounds

identical t+c

It would be interesting to here oher peoples opinions
ski holidays
TimDog, I just had a Fullsize SUV (Aspen) out of LAX for 18 days for £540, it was Alamo booked through auto-europe, have a look see.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS - booked it through Quidco and got £45 back as well.
snow report
I suggest to try Decode car hire , I usually book with them and get good rates with no problems in service how it could sometimes happen with some companies. Hope this gives any contribution. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy