Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

11 week instructor course?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at the 11 week instructor course with NONSTOP SKI in canada. Is it a good idea? Has anyone had any experience of this course or anything similar?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matt Exley, there are plenty of BASI courses of similar length in France any reason for canada?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Matt Exley, there are plenty of BASI courses of similar length in France any reason for canada?

Why ask why?

I would guess for a course of that length, you'll have many other consideration in mind, such as snow condition, instruction quality, good or bad food, good or bad lodging etc. Is France the only other nation having such courses?

I'm curious, actually, how do these courses compare, cost and quality speaking?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have heard great things about the YES and Dempsey programs in Whistler, both similar long courses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matt Exley,

Hi Matt,

My wife did the Nonstop Ski 11 week course 2 seasons ago. It was excellent in every respect, and highly recommended. Is there anything in particular you want to know?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:

Who the hell would want to spend 11 weeks in France??? Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike, any reason why you wouldn't want to spend 11 week in France?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, at a guess price, language, snow quality, quieter slopes, cost of living. But I could be wrong.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It depends on how good your skiing is aswell. If you're good enough, it's a much more cost effective option to go for the BASI 1 week foundation and 2 week exam courses, and then spend the rest of the time getting paid to teach and gain experience that way. If you haven't done any shadowing of other instructors yet, you could do that for a couple of weeks at milton keynes in between the courses. That's the way that I did it, as there's no way I could afford an 11 week course and didn't really think it was necessary.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All, canada is a great destination and would be fantastic experienence for a long course. my main point was that as Matt is living in Milton Keynes gettting a BASI qualification as opposed to CSIA rated may open more doors for the future for working in the UK and Europe. I could be opening a can of worms here as i know nothing about CSIA

The courses I know of in France (and i am sure austria and other euro countries) are taught by brits so language isnt an issue. and one mans opinion the food is better that canada wink

You can do a "gap year" course of around 10 weeks for about £6k depending on the school, New Generation, BASS, Mountain lodge http://www.mountainlodge.co.uk/The%20gap%20team.htm

YOu could also just do three weeks and get a BASI 3 with some practice in between the first 1 week course (trainee) and the last 2 weeks this costs around £1k
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did a 3 week course with nonstop in fernie 2 years ago. Very well organised, top local instructors, great atmosphere. I was quite an experienced skier when I did the course and was a little apprehensive with the general level of the other skiers on the course. Even so my skiing was taken apart and put back again better than ever. Remember these courses are not just about passing the csai but about your all round skiing abilities. To pass csai level 1 is simple quite frankly, a few days tution and you'd probably crack it. I think the 11 week course aims to get you your level 2 - i understand it's harder, but again 11 weeks should be loads of time to train for it. If you just want your qualifications and your a half decent skier already then these courses are probably not needed, instead get some private tution aimed at the csia courses. But if you want to improve your all round skiing, have a great experience then go for it.

I considered BASI but I knew quite a few people with various basi levels - got the imprerssion basi is geared to extract cash from you and was very fussy on your style of sking in order to progress. My general gut feeling is basi try too hard to impress on the skills front, canadian system seems to focus more on your ability to teach, general customer experience rather than your absolute skills. Also depends if you want to teach and where, basi probably more recognised in europe.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
telford_mike, any reason why you wouldn't want to spend 11 week in France?

Where would you like me to start? wink

But basically I dislike it intensely. Took the kids there (Valmorel, Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre etc) a few times when they were very young, but having endured that, nothing on earth would persuade me to ski in France now. I can well understand how the ski factories of the Trois Vallees and Espace Killy provide perfectly suitable facilities for short annual holidays, but for someone lucky enough to have 11 weeks? No thanks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike, still, got to be better than spending 11 weeks in England. Much less likely to be beaten up by kids with asbos over there. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iblair, can't argue with that! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks alot for the info! I'm still pursuaded by canada because i do like a bit of a holiday at the same time! Could anyone tell me where a CSIA level 1 qualification would get me in terms of being a ski instructor anywhere in the world and the same for the CSIA level 2?
latest report
CSIA Level 1 would get you pretty much nowhere, although I think you can use it to teach complete beginners in Canada. CSIA level 2 is usually given the same status as BASI Instructor, meaning you can teach most places in America, Australasia and Europe, but not France.
ski holidays
Matt Exley, have a look at this link which gives the equivalence between the various licenses as iblair, said level 1 gets you nowhere in europe

http://www.basi.org.uk/courses/exemption.asp
snow conditions
Thanks, nice link, looks as though level 2 doesn't get me very far either! Maybe i should stay at the xscape, spend a lot less money and get a much better qualification.
snow conditions
That link is a little misleading. Although you don't get exemption from BASI Instructor with you level 2, it is generally regarded as the same by most companies. Having said that, there must be a reason for switching because quite a few people on my BASI Instructor course already had their CSIA 2. I can't remember why this was though Puzzled
latest report
Matt Exley, that links to a chart only of what BASI will exempt you from if you have whatever qualification. I'm not sure that equivalence between say the US and Canada would be accurately represented. What's prob more important is what you're trying to get out of this and why. It may be that you're better off getting an ASSI then going for BASI III, or it may be worth your while going down the CSIA route through a setup like http://www.instructor-academy.com/ depending on how good a skier you already are, where you intend to work and whether you're planning a career or a sideline! snowHead
snow report
I wanted a qualification where i could use it as a career quite easily if the right opportunity came about, or possibly to use it to travel for several years before i got setteled down in a better payed job. Saying that, i only assumed that the job of being a ski instructor doesn't pay a great amount. Any ideas as to what i would get payed per season if i was an instructor in canada?
ski holidays
Skimottaret, u seem to know about the courses that the offer in France, do you have anymore details? Where in france do they do these courses and possibly a good website link with details on prices, levels, destinations etc?
snow report
Matt Exley, I think you're right that it's not terribly well paid. I think best rates are probably in France. The US/Canada used to be quite poorly paid but I'm told it's now quite reasonable. To teach casually I'm told CSIA 2 Extended (with test technique timed slalom) and BASI III with same would be sufficient and relatively easy and quick to achieve. To get a career out of it I'd say you need at least ISIA, which will involve a fair amount of effort. You won't be able to teach autonomously in France. To make better money in Europe (if successful, potentially >£1000/wk in season once you're established) I think you need ISTD for which you'll need lotsa time to become a helluva skier.
snow conditions
Matt Exley, for all BASI info: http://www.basi.org.uk
ski holidays
Matt Exley, depends what you want to do and where you want to be able to teach. If you want to work in the UK and Europe BASI may be best, if it is north america CSIA best but you have visas to worry about.

slikedges, post sounds bang on to me...

it sounds to me that the BASI route may be good for you given your desire to work and get on the ladder should you wish to continue and progress through the more demanding levels of BASI 3 to 2 to 1(ISTD). a 10 week gap course would get you a BASI3 as i listed in links above, or the more economical route is probably to get a 1 week ASSI dry slope qualification in the UK which allows you to teach on plastic and exempts you from doing the Trainee instructor BASI course. Get your ASSI , then teach (for free) for 70 hours and then take a 2 week BASI 3 course on snow and you have your first level qualification and could teach at Milton Keynes as well as switzerland and a few other countries..

If this sounds good links as per my previous post.
ski holidays
Matt Exley,
I hold both BASI & CSIA qualifications. waynos, Pretty much sums it up. CSIA I & II is much more teaching and guest experience focused, than BASI which is more skill level focused. In my experience to pass BASI Ski Instructor is far tougher than passing CSIA II in that you have to be a better technical skier. I would say the CSIA I fits just below ASSI standard and CSIA II fits just below BASI Instructor. It is easier at the moment to achieve ISIA through CSIA than BASI at present, but CSIA are making the grade III ISIA courses much tougher, just as BASI did some years ago. The CSIA route is way cheaper than going through the BASI system, it's pretty much pounds for dollars.
I did my courses in Fernie BC, direct with CSIA & Fernie ski school and saw Non Stop at work. seemed very professional and chatting to the candidates, it seemed like after a short period of training you go through the level I and the last week of the course is the 5 day grade II assesment.
ski holidays
Hello Matt, i'm considering doing a Snowboard Instructors course next Jan, www.basecampgroup.com run 11 week courses in Val d'Isere and Meribel with the BASI system and courses in Canada with the CASI.
snow conditions
Which BASI qualification would allow me to instruct almost anywhere?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matt Exley wrote:
Which BASI qualification would allow me to instruct almost anywhere?
What do you mean by "almost"? Grade 1, the top grade, is recognised as equivalent to fully certified ski instructors in all countries I think.
snow report
Well, anywhere other than france because they won't let u instruct without having the french qualifications but what i also meant was i don't want to spend a stupid amount of money trying to get a higher qualification when i don't really need it to instruct in most places in the world.
ski holidays
Matt Exley wrote:
Well, anywhere other than france because they won't let u instruct without having the french qualifications but what i also meant was i don't want to spend a stupid amount of money trying to get a higher qualification when i don't really need it to instruct in most places in the world.

I don't know for certain but conversations with friends who have various levels of BASI qualification seems to indicate that in order to make a living from instruction you need to have BASI 1, CSIA 3 or 4, PSIA 3 or equivalent from other countries. BASI 3 or BASI 2 are normally seen as intermediate stages on the way to full qualification for those who want to be professional ski instructors.

BTW, BASI 1 is equivalent to the French full qualification, so you don't need an additional French qualification to teach in France.
ski holidays
Matt Exley, have a look at this link it explains quite well what qualification you need to work where

http://www.snowsportrecruitment.com/Articles/work.htm
snow report
Robbie wrote:
Have heard great things about the YES and Dempsey programs in Whistler, both similar long courses.

The staff at our resort Just got trained by a YES senior course conductor(CSIA level 4 examiner) for our next set of PSIA exams. He came to New Jersey from whistler (we're both owned by intrawest, probably how they got him to come), excellent quality of instruction and skiing improvement...not to mention a great friendly guy!
snow report
Just to stir things a little, both CSIA to level 3 and BASI level 2 courses are held in Soldeu during the season.
Main difference between the two is that CSIA is about making sure the people you teach enjoy themselves, on the other hand BASI seems to concentrate cloneing people into the BASI method.
BTW before I get flamed rolling eyes I know very good instructors from both camps.
At the end of the day I enjoyed the CSIA method a great deal more.
latest report
I've booked to do my first season away next year going to do the 11 week CASI course at Kicking Horse Canada. The company im using is www.powder-trip.com Cant wait, only 298days to go! not that im counting. wink
snow report
Dypcdiver,
Quote:

Main difference between the two is that CSIA is about making sure the people you teach enjoy themselves, on the other hand BASI seems to concentrate cloneing people into the BASI method.

how do you know this , have you done both courses? if so it would be interesting if you could flesh that statement out a bit more
snow report
Dypcdiver, skimottaret,
I have done both courses, and yes CSIA is very much more focused on the 'Guest Experience' whereas BASI is more technical in it's approach.
ski holidays
Spyderman, thanks for that but i know that you have done both but was wondering if we could get Dypcdivers, perspective to round out the thread...
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Sorry for the delay but I have been away in Soldeu Little Angel
Yes I have done both, although I have never intended or wanted to teach. My first experience with BASI was in the late 70's when they had only just escaped from Aviemore, but the skiing was geared towards Scottish conditions. The BASI manual was 2 books of about 150 pages each, of which they only devoted 4 pages to off piste skiing and one of those was a photo. Crying or Very sad But they have improved Smile My lowly CSIA 1 was gained 6 years ago, but all my PDP's are taken with others who have 3's. The PDP's are included in the subscription and seem to me to be great value for updating on teaching methods and improving your own skiing skills.
ski holidays
We also offer 11 week instructor courses. I don't want to give you the hard sell but I am very confident that the courses we offer stand up to all others in terms of price and quality. All our accommodation is very central, wifi internet, hot tubs. We also do a whole week of backcounrty skiing including overnight tours.
Do your research and find out exactly what other people are offering. Many companies start taking away lots of elements of the courses:
Key considerations are:
flights included?
Is the company ATOL bonded?
standard of accommodation (how many in a room/ facilites/ location - you don't wnat to get on the bus if you can help it. In whistler, avoid creekside as it is inconvenient for Blackcomb and is a hassle if you are going to town at night)?
meals included?
level of instructors ?
Are you getting the offical Avalanche Skills Training Certification or some watered down version?
Are you getting any overnight touring experience?
Are you getting unlimited season pass?

Like I say, don't just take my word for it - look at everyone and see who includes the most and who seems to care about the product they offer. We'd love to hear from you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy