Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can someone explain why its stayed so mild over the alps this season

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman wrote:
professorpool wrote:
The climate was temperate in Egypt 5,000 years ago. Green, lush, raining, etc - just like in Tonbridge Wells today..

... or just like Singapore today. wink

Can you point to us to any sources for your assertion? Just curious.

I seem to remember some discovery channel program saying the sphinx and pyramids are erroded by rain not sand.

good enough NehNeh

Tux
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ami in berlin wrote:
Robbof wrote:
If you can be bothered, have a look at this, an interesting alternative view and brilliantly written :

http://www.predictweather.com/global_warming/index.asp

Also, look up "Global Dimming" .... very interesting.

Very Happy

Oh Dear:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~nogods/ring.html

Funny though eh???

I did not say I believe it.... Very Happy , just thought you lot may need lightening up!

Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
professorpool wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
professorpool, so are you saying that no matter what pollutants we pump into the world, we are having no effect, that good old mother nature is taking care of everything, and there's nothing we can do to make the air cleaner, or stop water becoming polluted?
Nope.

How did you come to that conclusion?

I think it was this post that kinda hinted at it...

professorpool wrote:
The idea that a planet that is 60 million billion zillion years old or whatever has somehow been affected by what a few ant like creatures have done in the last hundred years or so is slightly laughable..

You find it laughable that humans have had an effect on the planet, but when I ask you if that is the case, you say no.

Your argument is confusing me. Which is it? Are humans affecting the planet or not?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Nature is mostly responsible.

And there is little we can do about it.

Nothing like a fatalist attitude, and the ability to free oneself of any guilt.

(I guess you could blame "Nature" for making coal and oil, so it's "Nature's" fault for any man made pollution)

Humans are biological beings.

Everything we do is Nature at work.

Manmade is, ultimately, Nature-made.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes a `habit`. Scientific theory (or orthodoxy) changes continuously - and radically. If it didn`t, we`d still be heliocentrists and a lot else besides.

The fact that scientific certainties change on a regular basis is not a criticism of the scientific/empirical method. Quite the reverse. Arguably the great strength of science is that is constantly evolving or changing in order to explain fresh data and information.

But the point remains. Scientific `certainties` must be approached with some circumspection. What is `certain` today may well appear less so in the future when better/different measuring techniques are availabe and better/more accurate data is available.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Nothing like a fatalist attitude, and the ability to free oneself of any guilt.

(I guess you could blame "Nature" for making coal and oil, so it's "Nature's" fault for any man made pollution)

Humans are biological beings.

Everything we do is Nature at work.

Manmade is, ultimately, Nature-made.

So, "not my fault" in other words?

Who can I blame? Let's blame my parents! Let's blame my country! Let's blame someone else! Let's blame anyone but me, cause that would mean I might just have to accept the responsibility for my own actions...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
professorpool wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
professorpool, so are you saying that no matter what pollutants we pump into the world, we are having no effect, that good old mother nature is taking care of everything, and there's nothing we can do to make the air cleaner, or stop water becoming polluted?
Nope.

How did you come to that conclusion?

I think it was this post that kinda hinted at it...

professorpool wrote:
The idea that a planet that is 60 million billion zillion years old or whatever has somehow been affected by what a few ant like creatures have done in the last hundred years or so is slightly laughable..

You find it laughable that humans have had an effect on the planet, but when I ask you if that is the case, you say no.

Your argument is confusing me. Which is it? Are humans affecting the planet or not?

You're making an obtuse argument. I make an "effect" on the environment by simply opening the door and walking down my path - as do all creatures have an "affect" on the planet.

My post followed on from a previous one and references global warming. Man does not impact the climate - imho of course.

No post on this or any other thread advocates "doing nothing" nor do I endorse water pollution.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beetle wrote:
Yes a `habit`. Scientific theory (or orthodoxy) changes continuously - and radically. If it didn`t, we`d still be heliocentrists and a lot else besides.

I'm well aware of the progress of science, but I assumed from what you had written that you were saying that science habitually contradicts itself, rather than deepening the understanding of certain phenomena with only occasional debunking of previously held orthodoxies.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, are you trying to write Haiku for losers?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well if the earth is warming up who's to say it's a bad thing. Many people assume we are at some kind of optimal climatic position already. Have these people seen my gas bill ? Warmer weather less money to gas company. More old people die in the UK in the winter than summer. Dry arid lands may become wetter - who knows? One thing we can be sure of is that fossil fuels are finite, we need to use what's left sensibly and find alternate energy sources - nuke, burning excess fat off the obese, wind power (though not too much wind power or there be none left for my windsurfing)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beetle wrote:

The fact that scientific certainties change on a regular basis is not a criticism of the scientific/empirical method. Quite the reverse. Arguably the great strength of science is that is constantly evolving or changing in order to explain fresh data and information.

But the point remains. Scientific `certainties` must be approached with some circumspection. What is `certain` today may well appear less so in the future when better/different measuring techniques are availabe and better/more accurate data is available.

This is all true, but it should not be an excuse for ignoring scientific consensus.

I'm glad we didn't take the same approach when it came to the hole in the ozone layer, acid rain, lead in water/petrol/paint, asbestos in walls, etc. We humans alter our environment, and we would be wise to keep an eye on what effects that can have.

Can we say with 100% certainty that greenhouse gas emmision are the cause of climate change? No. But do you really want to wait until we can say that with 100% certainty? I'm wílling to trust the "very likely" - or probablity of more than 90% - that the IPCC assigns, and get on with fixing this mess. It's the responsible thing to do.

And what if it is all wrong? We end up with "only" cleaner air. That'd be a real shame.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still find it interesting that nobody has commented on the Global Dimming theory... all a bit one-sided really!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Robbof, I have in the past:

See here for instance:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=517303#517303
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ami in berlin wrote:
And what if it is all wrong? We end up with "only" cleaner air.

Well that depends on what is done and what the costs are.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
the ability to free oneself of any guilt.

Do you feel guilty personally about global warming?
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Robbof, I have in the past:

See here for instance:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=517303#517303

Aha, my apologies!

I find the dimming aspect extremely intriguing... I take it you have read about the 9/11 contrails investigation also?
snow report
Quote:

I'm well aware of the progress of science, but I assumed from what you had written that you were saying that science habitually contradicts itself, rather than deepening the understanding of certain phenomena with only occasional debunking of previously held orthodoxies.

Science regularly (or habitually if you prefer) changes its views. Previously held orthodoxies are frequently debunked. Scientific understanding of natural phenomena becomes more sophisticated, or `deeper`, as a result of fundamental changes of view. Scientifc `progress` does in many instances proceed incrementally. But - many of the most radical and far reaching changes of view/approach in science are truly radical and revolutionary and involve a complete rejection, or at least a very fundamental revision of existing certainties. To give but a few examples: geocentrism; Newtonian mechanics; evolution; general relativity, quantum mechanics - even the question of whether ancient Polar forests were deciduous (accepted view until 2003 was that they weren`t because lack of light in the Arctic would have made photosynthesis impossible).

The fact that science is certain about something today is no guarantee that it will not change its mind. Today`s scientifc orthodoxy is (apparently) that man is a significant contributor to global temperature increases. The scientific orthodoxy 20 years ago was rather different. Who knows what the position will be in another 20 years.

As someone else pointed out above - for all our scientific knowhow and expertise we cannot even accurately predict the weather 7 days down the line. The reason (or at least one reason) is that even short term weather is hugely complex and multi-factorial.

Is that a reason for us to sit on our hands and do nothing ? In my opinion - it`s not. Better safe than sorry. But that`s just my view.

Facsinating debate by the way. Lots more interesting than working.
snow conditions
Quote:

Can we say with 100% certainty that greenhouse gas emmision are the cause of climate change? No. But do you really want to wait until we can say that with 100% certainty? I'm wílling to trust the "very likely" - or probablity of more than 90% - that the IPCC assigns, and get on with fixing this mess. It's the responsible thing to do.

And what if it is all wrong? We end up with "only" cleaner air. That'd be a real shame.

What`s your beef ? I actually concluded my stint on the soap box by stating "Having said that, the argument that we should seek to exercise a little more consideration for our environment would seem to be prudent."
latest report
Robbof wrote:
I take it you have read about the 9/11 contrails investigation also?

I dimly remember reading about it. wink
snow report
beetle, I think we probably agree.
ski holidays
rob@rar, but your consensus will be overturned in 20 years! Very Happy
latest report
laundryman wrote:
Robbof wrote:
I take it you have read about the 9/11 contrails investigation also?

I dimly remember reading about it. wink

Ha ha, nice... Very Happy
latest report
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar, but your consensus will be overturned in 20 years! Very Happy

Overturned or built upon? Wink
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
the ability to free oneself of any guilt.

Do you feel guilty personally about global warming?

Do I feel guilty for things that I do that have a negative consequence?
Of course I do! That's what makes me human. If I didn't, I'd just be a bunch of chemicals, and how sad an entity I would be then.

Do you ever feel guilty for your actions?
snow conditions
I feel guilty for contributing to polution by getting in my car or getting on to a plane and heading to a ski resort to carry out an activity that serves nothing but my own pleasure.

Errr, honestly I do rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think one predicted effect of global warming is to move the position of the Gulf Stream. This could in theory make it possible to have ski resorts in England, thereby reducing the environmental damage done by cars and planes to the alps! snowHead
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Yes.

I was wondering whether you (actually any snowHead) felt guilty about skiing in relation to global warming. I don't, as it happens.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Yes.

I was wondering whether you (actually any snowHead) felt guilty about skiing in relation to global warming. I don't, as it happens.

Nope!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, nor me. any more so than i do for using this computer or eating my lunch. most aspects of our lives involve the consumption of fossil fuels and therefore carbon emissions. however, politically it's much easier to put the blame on things which can be perceived as luxuries.

personally, i think we are far too far down the road of industrialisation to be able to do anything positive about climate change. aren't we also supposed to be helping developing, particularly african, countries industrialise to bring them out of abject poverty? so we create another swathe of fossil fuel consumers to go along with the more recently industrialised countries like india, china and brazil? and who says they shouldn't when the US and Europe wouldn't dream of giving up their lovely, comfy, consuming industrialised lives?

to me it seems logical that we would have to turn the clock back about 200 yrs to slow down the human effects on climate change. who's gonna do that??
snow report
Indeed.

We are probably going to eventually end up in a world a lot like that in Blade Runner except with better shirt collars..
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

But the human factor is minor, overall.

Now, I'm no climatologist so I have to defer to their expertise in this matter. And from what I've read, there is a growing consensus that we are greatly increasing the rate of temperature change.
If you have evidence to the contrary then I (and more importantly the people studying this effect) would be very interested in seeing it. Otherwise this is a pure head-in-the-sand attitude.
ski holidays
There is evidence about and it is certainly clear that not all scientists agree. When I get home or maybe sometime over the weekend when I get a moment, I'll post a few links..
ski holidays
professorpool wrote:
There is evidence about and it is certainly clear that not all scientists agree. When I get home or maybe sometime over the weekend when I get a moment, I'll post a few links..

How kind of you.

But before you begin, let's just make a few things clear:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

Conclusion: Yep. Pretty much all scientists actually do agree.
latest report
Diarmuid wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

But the human factor is minor, overall.

Now, I'm no climatologist so I have to defer to their expertise in this matter. And from what I've read, there is a growing consensus that we are greatly increasing the rate of temperature change.
If you have evidence to the contrary then I (and more importantly the people studying this effect) would be very interested in seeing it. Otherwise this is a pure head-in-the-sand attitude.

See previous post.

The world has been heating up for 15k years.

Since the end of the last Ice Age.

Long before modern man and the Industrial Revolution.

The world was roughly 30% covered in ice 15k years ago.

Now it is 10% covered.

The ice is melting.

Nature is melting the ice.

It has been for thousands of years.
latest report
Whitegold, when was the quickest rate of change?
ski holidays
now i believe there is a human aspect to climate change but couple of things about that article:

this quote is a very easy statement to make, but has no back up:

"The drafting of such reports and statements involves many opportunities for comment, criticism, and revision, and it is not likely that they would diverge greatly from the opinions of the societies' members"

there is also alot of use of the word "likely" and "might" comes into it a few times. this quote is also interesting "Many details about climate interactions are not well understood, and there are ample grounds for continued research to provide a better basis for understanding climate dynamics."

this emotive argument is always at the bottom of it:

"But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of anthropogenic climate change and failed to do anything about it."

do you always trust the media? do you trust governments? will taking fewer flights, recycling bottles and driving your car less make any impact on climate change? or is the issue much bigger than that? none of this is known and alot of the responses are knee jerk. that's what p*sses me off. what are the big ticket items that will make a large difference? how are governments confronting them? nuclear power would make a huge difference but that makes peoples knees jerk left right and centre!! never mind that about 20% of the uk's electricity already comes from nuclear...... as for the aussies banning lightbulbs in favour of energy saving bulbs. why don't they confront the real issue which is the source of the power used to make and power those bulbs?
latest report
goaty, "do you always trust the media? do you trust governments? will taking fewer flights, recycling bottles and driving your car less make any impact on climate change? or is the issue much bigger than that? none of this is known and alot of the responses are knee jerk. that's what p*sses me off. what are the big ticket items that will make a large difference? how are governments confronting them? nuclear power would make a huge difference but that makes peoples knees jerk left right and centre!! never mind that about 20% of the uk's electricity already comes from nuclear...... as for the aussies banning lightbulbs in favour of energy saving bulbs. why don't they confront the real issue which is the source of the power used to make and power those bulbs?"

Well - I think you've hit the nail on the head - big corporations can pollute at will (and can "buy" pollution from other corps as I understand it), but let's make the little man feel all the guilt - after all - we're only the electorate, and we all know what politicians think of us. Shock

All this has nothing to do with the original question though.... Shocked
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

See previous post.

You'd bettter let the guys who have spent their lives studying it know that you've cracked it.
snow report
If anyone is interested in looking at the figures, I suggest that you follow this link:

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/docs/WG1AR4_SPM_Approved_05Feb.pdf

It will take you to a summary of the recent IPCC report. The full report will be available on line later this year. The graphs on page 3 showing the change in atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane (a much more powerful greenhouse gas) and nitrous oxide are well worth looking at.

On the original question, variations from one year to the next mean very little, bad luck effectively, but in the longer term we have been pumping an awful lot of stuff into the atmosphere over the last couple of centuries and the chances of this not being responsible for part of the warming over that period are extremely small.
snow report
Really interesting thread and took me away from the mundane office work today. For my two pennies worth (and that may beall that it's worth wink ) I reckon that human activity and the production of C02 is of course something that will exacerbate what is already occuring. I'm not a climatologist or anything so I can't bandy around figures for what this would be as a percentage but it occurs to me it would be small in comparison to outputs of methane from, for example, farm animals (yep, a lot of cows eating and fermenting a lot of grass must create a bit of a stink globally wink ). Also natural emissions from peat bogs, marsh land etc would all account for a huge amount wouldn't it?

Cutting down on dependence of fossil fuels should be done beacuse if you think about it, it just makes sense! And, as a side effect, it also cuts down our impact on the atmosphere. I do get a little bit tired of the completely anthopocentric argument that it is ALL down to us, bad, bad, bad, bad humans.

So, to conclude and revert back to the original post - why is it so damn warm in the alps? Weather patterns, some years blow hot, some blow cool as has happened for many. many days before I've been around Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy