Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva-Tignes transit costs

Poster: A snowHead
I was spec-ing out an october weekend trip to Tignes via Geneva Airport. The http://www.alpski-bus.com site does a reasonably timed bus transfer but the price seems awfully steep. €87 return - that's £60!

Can someone tell me I am mis-reading the price list or suggest a cheaper alternative....

As ever, mucho thanks to those sharing their insight

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on how many of you are travelling. It may be worth hiring a car or mini bus if there are a few of you going. I know from talking to others that the transfer costs are steep on the ski-bus from the airport.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Afraid I am contemplating skulking off on a solo snowjunkie fix..... hence thinking bus cheaper that the car hire (£77 at Avis for a compact).

Worth hiring the car to tootle up and down to Val Claret if accomo is elsewhere in Tignes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SussexSnow, short of hitchhiking that's about the cheapest sensible transfer. It is cheaper to catch the train but it's very convoluted and takes hours. I speak from experience. The route is as follows: train from Geneva airport to Geneva Central Station, bus & tram to station in Geneva suburbs for link to French rail. Train & bus to Annecy, change for Chambery, at Chambery change for Bourg St Maurice, catch bus from BSM to Tignes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-09-04 15:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the train is mad. So I guess Autocars Martin, or what ever they are calling themselves, have us over a barrel!.

I'm still trying to plan the sub £100 weekend but that involves four folks driving to the Vosges...

By the
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does it have to be Tignes? SAT (for example) go to Chamonix, Courmayeur and down to Aosta (change for La Thuile, Cervinia), get to Pila from Aosta car park by gondola, for a reasonable cost. It's about an hour and a half to Courmayeur.

I'm sure there'll be other resorts reachable by bus, probably plenty large enough for a weekend.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was hoping to go in October to Tignes Glacier. Its reliable. Other options are to find cheap flight to somewhere Austrian/Munich and head for Dachstein, Tux, etc
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SussexSnow, yes sorry, missed the October bit. Sorry. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go to Hintertux. The glacier skiing's better than Tignes. I was impressed with it some years ago, and I think the network of lifts has improved further since then. You can stay in a place called Lanersbach, just down the valley, which is quite nice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got the Tux brochure this summer and it does look impressive. Airports? Salzburg or Munich?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done it from Munich. From memory it's best to get the S-bahn from the airport to the Ostbahnhof, rather than the Hauptbahnhof, where you should be able to connect to a train for Austria. It's years since I did it, but I recall getting off at a valley station and connecting with a postbus for the resorts up to Hintertux.

Maybe Salzburg, or one of the airports Ryanair go to, could be quicker.

These guys - World Class Skiing - have run many courses at Hintertux, and I thoroughly recommend them. They suggest a Munich flight, but could I'm sure advise you. This is their page on Hintertux.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Train.... ahah! magic words for cheap Scot.......
I also noticed that in the Tux brochure they say there are fixed price taxis to the station from the valley. Nice touch.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
German Trains
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tell me, The Deutsche Bahn web site has more info on our trains than network rail, Its quicker and multi-lingual
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SussexSnow, yeah, I often use it for UK trains. Seems pretty reliable, too.
snow conditions
I'm impressed....I'd never have thought of looking up UK train times on a German website but it's so much better than National Rail! Now on my favourites....
snow report
Wandsworth Council also do a reasonable timetable look-up.
snow report
Timetable sites are probably off topic but I think justfiable as they might help us get to the snow quicker. Try the swiss one too. www.rail.ch. Four languages and offers a map of your route. Even has the local bus-stops detailed. Look at it and weep Department of Transport. To paraphrase that Norwegian football commentator. Where's you integrated transport system, Johnny Prescott!".
snow report
Hi SussexSnow I am right with you - if you ski independent forget the Tarentaise resorts as stated expensive and transfers take forever. I would stick to Switzerland with its highly efficient integrated transport system. There isn't a reasonable sized village that you cannot get to by a combination of train and postbus. I am a great fan of Valais where you can easily get to Verbier Crans Montana Zermatt or Saas Fee. You could even think about the second division resorts of Ovronnaz (www.ovronaz.ch) or Nendaz (www.Nendaz.ch) which are just as accessible by rail and bus. Very Happy
snow report
You could try Rob at www.thecoolbus.co.uk

The link for the buses is www.altibus.com

Meg Blush
snow conditions
Quote:

Can someone tell me I am mis-reading the price list or suggest a cheaper alternative....

try www.sixti.co.uk - We're off to Geneva on Monday for five days and have booked an Astra Estate from them for just short of £40, booked a few weeks ago though. Gotta be worth a shot, plenty of room for 4 people.

There is a cleaning charge on top of that but even so it's a steal.
ski holidays
masmith, that url refuses to load for me.... chaletarc, thanks for that link, useful....
snow conditions
masmith, is Sixti a new company at Geneva? Are they in the Terminal or outside it, like Easycar used to be? Are they relaible? They seem considerably cheaper than the other car rental companies at Geneva, so if they're a relaible company they'll get a lot of business off me.

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
Just been looking at the small print on the Sixi site. The additional charges will soon add up: each kilometre you drive will cost 0.19 CHF, additional drivers cost 3 CHF per day, car insurance for damage or theft is at least 9 CHF per day, a ski rack and snow chains costs 18 CHF per day (to a mximum of 90 CHF) and if you don't want to clean the car it will cost you 25 CHF. I'd need to work out whether this would work out cheaper than an all-inclusive rental from somebody like holidayautos.com. I stopped using Easycar because their small print charges made them more expensive than the traditional hire companies - I think that Sixti would fall into the same bracket.

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
Rob,

Additional costs are true, but the £40 I quoted includes insurance at 9CHF per day. The 0.19CHF km is only if you go over your limit (100km per day) - we're confident we won't go over it but we're not travelling to Tignes come to think about it.

PG, sorry but link works for me, anyone having problems.
snow report
masmith, thanks for that - I hadn't spotted the 100km daily allowance, so it's not as expensive as I first thought. Is the Sixti desk in the terminal with all the other car hire desks, and do you collect the car from the underground garage where the other companies have their car collection?

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,
Have not used Sixti before so will report more after next week, but I think they are in the main reception hall along with all the other hire companies (Hertz/Avis, etc).

Incidentally I did a check to see how much the same car would cost for our week in January, can't remember how much now but it was considerably more than the deal we have for next week, I guess we just fell really lucky this time. I think their pricing is similar to the budget airlines, i.e. book early for the best prices with the occasional super special thrown in.
snow conditions
The bus is quicker I think - here's a link
www.altibus.com
Also try Rob at
www.thecoolbus.co.uk

Meg Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, is the Sixti desk in the terminal with all the other car hire desks, and do you collect the car from the underground garage where the other companies have their car collection?

Yes it is, I've used them twice from geneva and have not had to pay for cleaning.
Found them as good or better than other car hire companies.Booked an Estate in december for £78 for the week and my only extra will be an upgrade on the insurance for peace of mind.
snow report
Not heard of the yellow bus one before. Just got a quote for a party of 6 from Geneva to Arc1800. Half the price of ATS.
latest report
Sorry that cool bus, (their web site comes up all yellow and forgoty their name).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy