Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif - Morillon / Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Fantanstic - Due to go to Morillon next Thursday and following a load of rain there will be 17cm of snow on Sunday! Laughing

About time too!

Is anyone in the resort at present????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waterskibabe, don't forget that forecasts of actual amounts of precipitation are notoriously unreliable. Could be a lot more, or less, than forecast.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hit me where it hurts why not! I can but dream!!!! What ever it puts down will have to make up for the wash out of this week.
Must say I have a big fear of ice and it'll probably need to put down 117cm to stop me wetting it when I hear the dreaded sound! Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waterskibabe, Surely you will be hoping for rain ? Be a lot better for waterskiing Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have a good trip!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
provenjohn,
They do say that rain is a waterskier best friend - certainly doesn't apply to snow skiing though!

simo1234,
Will do - we've booked a 4x4 so will be in search of white stuff if none in Morillon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waterskibabe, I'm in Flaine at the moment and have been here since Saturday and there's been blue skies every day.
In my opinion the slopes have been variable, but there's not really been a bad slope. In fact my favourite slope in the area was in Morillon - Bergin off the Bergin chair lift. There's one bit you can see from the lift which was grassy and icy, so the blokes in the party were too wuss to do it, however me and my 14 year old niece did it (twice) that was the only mucky bit - the rest was just great.

All in all, the skiing's been better than expected. And the temperature guage in the village said 15 degrees the other day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justacey,
Thanks for the update - it's great to hear from someone in the resort. We love both Sairon & Bergin runs so hopefully they'll be ok when we're there.

There looks like plenty snow forecast but the temperatures are so up and down my main concern is the dreaded ICE! Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waterskibabe, Just back tonight from Grand Massif - very little ice to be found - its all very soft unrless you are an early bird, but good news is that there is lots of good snow high up, lower runs can be patchy or closed (Down to Samoens and Morrillon base, and non neige de culture in Les C). we had a great sunny week, so good luck with the impending snow/rain. It was pelting down but 9oC in Samoens at 8am this morning
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
any further updates?

have heard that it was snowing (pretty heavily) yesterday and today in LEs Carroz village. Also, the webcams show snow on the ground at Sixt at 850m altitude
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at websites and webcams they've had 50cms over the weekend and snow all day today (looks a bit like rain blobs on the lower cam) and one website says 69 cm over the next 6 days.
Just as well I was there last week 'cos I don't like skiing in powder or under less than clear blue skies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Morillon - skied Grand Massif last week (Sat-Sat). Conditions are OK, a bit better than most of the horror stories reported here, but by no means fantastic.

Skiing in the morning was fine pretty much everywhere (that is, as long as there was snow cover; mostly OK down to 2000, and some below that). In the afternoon the high temperatures meant big mounds of porridge all over the pistes, which made for some very interesting and challenging conditions. Seemed to be snowing when we left, but unless there's a big fall that'll just freshen up a rather thin base.

That said, get out early in the morning, get up high (top of Flaine, ideally), and you'll have a great time. Plus (perversely) I found the afternoon "challenges" somewhat interesting, if not my favourite skiing conditions; sort of enforced, mushy moguls on the way home every day!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Legal Steve,
seems that conditions have improved somewhat since you returned - has been snowing pretty much non-stop sicne saturday, with an even heavier storm due on Thursday. Perhaps the winter has started???
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simo1234 wrote:
Legal Steve,
Perhaps the winter has started???

Finally!!! Whey Hey! Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally arrived to virtually no snow in resort.
Had a crap day yesterday went to Avoriaz and there where millions of people and fog - great! Mad
Today had a fab morning in Flaine but finished at lunch while we were ahead as it was very wet. Little Angel
Who knows what tomorrow holds??? Puzzled
snow conditions
please keep me posted as of out next saturday Blush but as i strongly reccommended Flaine to the mate I'm going with it could rather embarassing Blush

On a positive note it appears SNOW forecast for Mon, Wed and Thurs. Here's hoping it gets better for you waterskibabe, and stays fine for me Confused
snow report
waterskibabe, Do you know the resort well, if not perhaps I could point to a few favorites?
snow conditions
I go back out to Samoens on Thursday and am now doing the snow-dance. Looks like its raining quite high up today which is a worry.
latest report
Hey Stevo, I'm also in Samoens next week. Looks like snow down to Village level next Saturday and Sunday, Snow-forecast concur with this and my buddies in Samoens seem to agree that it will get cold end of this week. So Lets hope for a good dump to freshen it up. snowHead
snow report
Hurrah - judging by your username - I may see you in Coveys !!!!
ski holidays
Yeah, the Lads that own the Coveys are good buddies of mine, I grew up with them, I'm staying with them. I'm a regular, this is my third and final trip of the year, hoping for good snow and a good sesson on Paddy's day. Might see ya there.
snow report
I know the guys quite well after various trips over the last couple of years, we have an apartment in Samoens - I usually end up in coveys most evenings.
snow report
Nice one, I'm over from the 14th on, ask John, Shane or Paul for Paddy if your in and we'll have pint. There's a large grew from Westport our home town out there for the week, was there last year for Paddy day as well and had a great time.
snow report
I will just miss you - only there 8-12th. Maybe next time.
snow report
Ya, no worries. Have a good one, hope it snow's.
ski holidays
christianmurray wrote:
please keep me posted as of out next saturday Blush but as i strongly reccommended Flaine to the mate I'm going with it could rather embarassing Blush

On a positive note it appears SNOW forecast for Mon, Wed and Thurs. Here's hoping it gets better for you waterskibabe, and stays fine for me Confused

Please don't take this as a normal year! Usually we have fabulous snow through out the season however the snow generally in France this year has not been good! Sad

Just arrived back and the conditions in Morillion are not good at all. If the temperatures continue to be high (6-8 degrees in the village) I cannot see the snow lasting for Easter! Get on your knees and pray!

However we drove to Flaine daily and were on the first lift up and had some fantastic skiing with plenty of snow on Monday. It is however getting slushy at lunch so we called it a day at dinnertime and ended on a good note! Little Angel
Sat at le Bissac and played Yahtzee and had coffee - while watching everyone else waterskiing!!!

Hoefully it will pick up as we take our little one for the weekend in a fortnight so fingers crossed! wink
ski holidays
Quote:

However we drove to Flaine daily

Waterskibabe am interested/concerned that you drove to Flaine daily. Was the link via Tete de Saix & Vernant not possible? If driving to Flaine from Morillon how long does it take? How close to lifts or pistes can you park? We are in Morillon from 17th and are still optimistic that temps will drop & rain turn to snow at least at Les Esserts. I shall have a car, so driving to Flaine is not impossible, but I was planning to leave it for non-skiing wife/unpaid chalet maid to potter about in during the day!
ski holidays
[quote="Roger King"]
Quote:

However we drove to Flaine daily

On the 2/3/07 a Grand Massif pass was not available so after that we just left Morillon by 7.45am so they may well have been available them. The whole of Flaine was open and the Grand Vans lift was going too so I think you may have been able to get across. However we felt that if we were in Flaine and on the first lift up we would have the best of the snow (rather than let it be slushy by the time we got there!)

People we definately skiing down Sairon though.

I've just checked and the website below is showing the link as open! Little Angel

http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_station=morillon&p_pays=france&p_region=alpes&p_lang=fr

The drive to Flaine takes about 40-50mins and is not a problem at all - except for your wife!!!

Good luck as I said the temps really need to drop so fingers crossed!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger

You could always go to Flaine in the morning and the Mrs could have your lunch ready when the got back at 1pm??? How good is she??? Laughing
snow report
Waterskibabe
I think we might be pushing the limit a bit there but I like your thinking. wink Trouble is a I'll not be leaving chalet at 7.45 am except to buy breakfast from Tiffany's and if going to Flaine I'm not going to be back by lunchtime. Anyway she'll need the car to get to the supermarket. I think we'll do the link and practise our slush technique on the way home.
latest report
links are open and as i understand, very much ski-able. if you do decide to drive, get directions first. there is a short cut across the side of the mountain rather than needing to go into/out of cluses. comes out in a village called araches (just below les carroz).

you actually have the option of morzine - also about 45 mins from morrillon
latest report
Thanks for that tip Chris, I'll check my map. I also still intend to take a peak at your chalet while I'm there with 2008 in mind.
ski holidays
Just to let you know that we met friends at Geneva airport on Wednesday who had been staying in Morzine and the conditions sounded similar to Morillon. I would recommend to get as high as poss as early as poss.
latest report
Quote:

Thanks for that tip Chris, I'll check my map. I also still intend to take a peak at your chalet while I'm there with 2008 in mind.

Roger - I'm quite friendly with our guests of the 17th so I could perhaps arrange a viewing if you'd be interested?
ski holidays
Chris, I'll give you a ring or drop you an email about it.
ski holidays
Roger King,

for directions, this map may help.

http://www21.mappy.com/sidWo+a+8MzYPrMn21w/N?osl=btob1;x=100;y=200;width=400;height=400;out=2;xsl=1;a=2067247750

take the left split towards Chatillon, then Saint-Sigismond - these takes you along the side round to Araches, then Les Carroz, then Flaine.

Arranging a visit to the chalet is no problem.
snow conditions
Quote:

take the left split towards Chatillon, then Saint-Sigismond - these takes you along the side round to Araches, then Les Carroz, then Flaine

and its a delightfully scenic route as well. Took me 50 mins from Samoens to Flaine when I went round to collect my daughter who had hurt her leg, so 45 mins from Morrillon, although when I went the traffic was light. Having said that the webcams look better than they did when there mid Feb snowHead
ski holidays
I understand that the links are fully open so shouldn't really be an issue, unless you want to be on the 1st lift in Flaine at 9am.
Much of the higher areas in the Massif have good snow, its just the lower part of the mountain that struggles. Going to Flaine every day may not be necessary.
latest report
the webcams on this site may give a bit more perspective. other than sixt (700m - no snow) and Morrillon 1100m (a bit slushy, but skiable), every else actually looks v good.

http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver_2007/
ski holidays
Good news is that it looks like it's snowed overnight!!! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy