Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

retailer/fitter of touring boots in southern England?

Poster: A snowHead
any suggestions because I'm struggling

S&R only seem to sell GArmont Adrenalines and I want something lighter/more flexible
Drawing a blank on other retailers - Lockwoods say that they do touring equipment but list no boots on their web site

Going on my first hut to hut trip in April but time to sort boots out in the Alps will be very limited.

Would consider renting.

Cheers,

J
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster, you could see if someone like telemark pyrenees will mail you 2 (or more?) pairs then keep the ones you like and send the rest back? then go and see CEM for the fitting
i went to the Zoo for mine because, like you, I found that the selection in the UK sucked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ellis-Brigham?
Captain's cabin?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster, Lockwoods have Megaride i think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would throughly recommend http://www.backcountryuk.com (previously basecamp ilkely) - I know they're not exactly "South" but I bought my Scarpa Denalis & Fritschi Freerides from them mailorder. They're extremely knowledgable & friendly - it's worth a chat with them even if you don't buy from them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions

geoffers - just from an internet search backcountry sound head and shoulders above the rest - buying boots remotely just seems dodgy.

Arno - I've bought quite a lot of stuff from telemark-pyrenees and really like them. Getting a couple of pairs seems like a good idea but I wonder if it's enough (I'm not even sure what shell size I should be going for) and the shipping costs will add up.

crosbie - Ah Ellis Brigham - that could be the answer - could always take them to CEM if they need work
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster, fair point - when i bought mine, i was amazed when SZK put a pair of mondo size 26 in front of me - alpine boots are 27 and fit fine; previous touring boots 27.5 and were a bit big - but they were perfect. i went for Scarpa Spirit 4s by the way. Would throughly recommend them. Almost enough to make me ditch the alpine boots altogether
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
jedster, fair point - when i bought mine, i was amazed when SZK put a pair of mondo size 26 in front of me

Me too, especially the 4s! What size street shoe are you? Scarpa's follow street shoe sizing pretty closely so a 26 you would be 7 to 7.5. If you are a size 8 (42) you may find them too small for extensive ski touring. Generally you should fit a bit larger for touring boots compared to alpine boots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, HMMM
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah Arno,

One of SZK's people put me in 26.0 for my Alpine boots when my feet are UK 9 (and I was used to skiing in a 28 shell). THey are certainly snug and I would want more space than this for touring.

I was wondering about Spirit 3s or matrix actually. I just bought new alpine boots last season and my stormriders have alpine binders so I dont think I'm ready to make a fulltime switch. Wonder if I really need the extra clip/weight - would be using them with Atomic REX/freerides.

davidof - this is exactly my dilemma. following your logic I would be in a 28 shell for a touring boot. I suspect 27 is the right answer but I really don't know.

J
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster, Both Scarpa and Garmont come up short for size, the Scarpa Spirit last being high volume and Garmont, medium-high but more anotomical than Scarpa. I think 27-27.5 witht the right thermo to adjust volume should work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, actually, my street shoe size is 8 (sometimes 8.5 if they're a bit narrow) which is why I was amazed by the 26. They were a *teensy* bit on the tight side of snug but now i've worn them a bit, they are really good. Haven't done any very long tours in them but on an hour-long bootpack they were very comfy.

I did get the impression that I was one of SZK's easier "patients" in that my feet really don't give me many problems at all, although i do have rather inflexible calves
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
davidof, actually, my street shoe size is 8 (sometimes 8.5 if they're a bit narrow) which is why I was amazed by the 26.

I was, of course talking in general rather than specific terms.

My own experience (that is mine and based on many people I know doing extensive ski touring) is that Scarpa's follow street shoes pretty well. The Matrix is wide and fairly high volume but a low boot so may not give all skiers the control they like, the Spirits are wide but lower volume - there is less height above the arch/heel area and Garmonts fit a more average foot. Don't expect thermoform liners to do much for a poorly fitting shell - apart from wear out faster.

Personally I would resist the trend to try and squeeze one's foot into very tight boots for touring. You need room in the toe box when you are doing approach walks, descents etc. I think some people see a "performance" fit as a way of compensating for lack of technique in difficult conditions or the change in going from high, stiff alpine boots to touring boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Quickly open and close a can of worms, not true the above with regards Spirit and Matrix, sorry. Can refilled with contents. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, I think our experiences illustrate that there is no substitute for trying some on! Must admit I was a little concerned that the closeness of the fit of my Spirits might be a problem on walking/skinning. My old Denalis were a bigger size and were very comfy on the way up, albeit rather like wellies on the way down. My experience so far with the Spirits is that they are pretty/very good for walking. I suppose the big test would be walking down a steep path - maybe my toes will jam a bit. But hopefully all my descending will be with skis on Madeye-Smiley

I have a week long tour in the Ecrins in April - I'll be able to report more fully on uphill performance then
snow report
Guys i think the point needs to be stay away from sweeping generalisations regarding shape and sizing with any footwear, it makes the client more difficult to deal with when sat infront of their chosen Bootfitter.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
davidof, I think our experiences illustrate that there is no substitute for trying some on!

I agree totally. A shop with a good range (so the fitter can find the best fit for the skier's requirements) and some experienced staff (we know some snowheads that fit that category wink.
snow conditions
Just to hijack this thread ...... what custom liners do people recommend for touring boots? (e.g. Zip-fit, intuition)
ski holidays
DB, We use several different Thermo liners, different thicknessess and densities. We used Zip-Fit in the past, however supply and quality issues have put the brakes on that. Really, again you should find a shop specializing in Touring/Randonee and a Bootfitter experienced with working with Pebax. I know of some stores, whom systematically put injection liners in touring boots. This should be the excepition and not the rule. Injection liners, increase weight, and the high volume nature of the Touring shell will mean the foam will continue to expand and become less dense, causing it to pack down faster, minimising it's life and therefore offering poor retun for the investment.
latest report
Jedster
Quote:

buying boots remotely just seems dodgy.

Not sure if I said that I bought mine through the post as I'm in Bristol...

One of the good things about the Scarpa Denalis was that "Backcountry UK" were selling them with the thermofit liners as standard (maybe they all do now, not sure) - this meant that they would mould to the size of your feet, so as long as you don't get a boot which is too small they should be fine - I had a long chat to Dave (the owner) who went through the whole process & assured me they would be OK(they were Little Angel )

Snow & Rock were happy to thermofit them as I was buying some of their heat moulded footbeds at the time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy