Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick poll, the best non french resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

ever since jet 2 have been flying into Chambery I have been booking 2 trip a year to the french Alps

I have done a bit of sking in Italy but have never been else where

So what is your Favourite non french resort as I am thinking of booking a package instead of a DIY next year??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alta
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry forgot to ask a quick why
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajbaldwin, Chamonix
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajbaldwin, why not do DIY?

What are you looking for? Skiing, ambience, gastro, etc.?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton, great skiing, lots of it, and in the words of Frank Gallagher "they know how to have a party"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajbaldwin, snow, lack of crowds, snow, language, snow, attitude, snow, lack of boarders, snow, exchange rate, and snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for st anton - as good skiing as anywehere in europe but with the big plus of austrian apres, good beer, great food.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, my points exctly, the original and best!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hemsedal, Norway (not the Alps, I hear you cry!)

Okay, so it's not nearly on the same scale as the Alps, but here's the good bits:

1. It's cheap ... yes, cheap. The last time I went, I managed to go all in (flights/transfers/quality half-board hotel/lift pass) for about £500. Having said that, it's not one for the big drinkers out there (a pint of beer is around £5 - £6).

2. Virtually no queues. I've been to Norway 4 times now, and don't think I have ever stood in a lift queue for more than 5 mins ... usually there are no queues at all.

3. It's not big, but it'll easily keep you busy for a week. The runs are well signed, and easy to get around. Plus, there's decent off-piste to be found, if that's your bag.

4. Tuition is excellent. Perfect English, spoken by rather attractive Norwegian and Swedish intructors wink

5 The people. Norwegians are a thoroughly pleasant bunch ... completely mad, but pleasant!

6. It's easy to get there: 2 hour flight & 1 hour transfer.

7. Lastly, and most importantly ... it's got loads of snow! I was there beginning of Jan, and we had at least 3 powder days NehNeh

I'm sure I'm going to get torn to shreds for suggesting Norway. It's not the obvious choice. But I for one think it's a rather nice alternative to the 'big' ski nations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fernie.

next question?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Resort X?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What is your level of skiing? DIY is my first choice nowadays. Wengen is worth considering or maybe Andorra.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt - but I can also see the case for St Anton.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zermatt is the best overall resort in the world.

Chamonix has the best skiing in the world.
snow conditions
Would have to agree. Zermatt any day of the week for me....
latest report
Whitegold, Chamonix versus Utah? Tough call...
snow conditions
David Murdoch, remember, Whitegold is right... Wink

For Euro-only people but not France: Zermatt, St Anton. Wengen as a possibility.
For the more broad minded, don't rule out: Utah, Chile, New Zealand, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, British Columbia...
ski holidays
Whitegold, I like Zermatt, but JH every time for me. Will go to Utah one day, but a chap I skied with last week had just moved on from there and for once the snow sucked.
ski holidays
Anywhere 'but' France for me, although i've already been to La Plagne and am off to Chamonix this year. rolling eyes

Try Kitzbuhel the "best resort in Europe" for me, especially on Hahenkamm weekend. Better leave it till next year though.

BTW... Jet2 do fly to Salzburg too you know, amongst many other places.
snow report
Ischgl... or St Anton for me... but depends what you want
latest report
The only reason I wasn't going to do a DIY was that there are only 2 of us going so it would be easier. I am intermediate level, no to big on off piste(only because I have never really tried it). I was really thinking of Europe just for ease of flight time, although when I lived in LA I used to drive up to Mammoth and though the sking was really good
snow report
What an odd question... although it sounds better when quantfied. France has some fine skiing and some world class resorts but there is so much to find that isn't in the sunday supplements. I prefer resorts that don't spend a fortune on magazine advertorials.

I think the poster would need an apre-ski oriented place which would mean Ausrtia, IMV
latest report
JT wrote:
.......... I prefer resorts that don't spend a fortune on magazine advertorials.......

On my list of would like to check out further (because of the off-piste opportunities, and it's a pleasant town, is Andermatt. Doubt if those who need lively apres ski would appreciate it, though.
snow conditions
ajbaldwin wrote:
The only reason I wasn't going to do a DIY was that there are only 2 of us going so it would be easier. I am intermediate level, no to big on off piste(only because I have never really tried it). I was really thinking of Europe just for ease of flight time, although when I lived in LA I used to drive up to Mammoth and though the sking was really good

You would probably be better sticking to resorts that will match your current level of ability and go to the big resorts with offpiste and steep slopes when you improve.

Some resorts to consider ......

Obertauern
Obergurgl
Saalbach
Ishgl
Mayerhofen
Schladming
Kaprun

http://www.bergfex.com/austria/

If I was in your position I'd book a cheap flight to Salzburg and follow the snow nearer the time.
ski holidays
ajbaldwin, there are so many out there but if I was to pick one I'd say St Anton also, I was there for the first time at New Year and going back at Easter, before this I've never been to the same resort twice!

What can I say about it, mountains, snow, extent, efficiency and incredible apres ski, one night in the Mooserwirt and you'll realise how lame it is in France.

However package deals might be more expensive to St Anton but a DIY can be very cheap with B and Bs from €30 a night and flight options to Munich, Innsbruck, Zurich and Freidrichshafen.
ski holidays
La Rosiere (you have to ski in Italy)
snow conditions
nlinesw4, EXCELLENT POINT snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two county skiing, that's an idea to clock up non french country experience quickly for ajbaldwin,! I've done Cervinia and Zermatt and also Oberstdorf and Klienwalsertal (that's Germany and Austria by the way).
ski holidays
ajbaldwin wrote:

So what is your Favourite non french resort ...

Les Gets ..
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
ajbaldwin wrote:

Les Gets ..
Laughing

Meribel?
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
ajbaldwin wrote:

Les Gets ..

LOL!

Yeah, tell me about it!
snow conditions
The police are investigating a series of ski robberies in Les Gets & Meribel. A statement has been issued to say they are looking for 2 local men and a french speaker.

Wink
snow report
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

CLASS!
latest report
achilles,

Its a nice place..and pretty dull at night, but then we are all wiped out by then anyway....
I wouldn't say it had a weeks worth of piste skiing but its heavenly after a dump and if you are prepared to
go off the beaten track.
Skins would be good. It grows on you and I would even go as far as to say, its as poor as Engelberg
for piste bashing.
But if you get up late you will not get fresh tracks as the Scandis are relentless.....

Great place..and pretty friendly and it feels like a community.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy