Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowploughing - a health warning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having followed this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21999&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 with interest, I was moved to make a point about the safety of snowploughing.

As an intermediate skier, I find the snowplough useful for low speed manoeuvering on gentle slopes (I prefer to use the braquage turn when it gets steeper). However, IMHO it is not safe to use a snowplough when being closely followed by other skiers. This statement is based on the direct experiences of my wife and myself:

1. My wife was snowploughing down a narrow track when someone tried to overtake her and, in doing so, hit the tail of one of her skis. This forced the ski tail out sideways causing her to lose balance and fall. The result was a torn ACL and a complete loss of confidence, the former mended well but we are still coping with the vestiges of the latter Sad .
    2. A similar thing happened to me on approaching a lift queue. Fortunately, on this occasion, I got away with a twisted knee which was sore for a few days but recovered snowHead .

Nowadays, I'm very careful about when I use a snowplough.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry about your wife, and your self... unfortunately both accidents were caused by the skier from behind, it is their responsibility to watch you.

Keep with it, some nice wide blues and you will both be gently tuning and traversing the slope with out the need for ploughing.... I skied last year with a first timer who I led down a couple of runs and found my self trying to remember how to plough......

Maybe an hour or two private tuition would help boost the confidence next time on the slopes...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David_S, thanks for the sympathy Very Happy and I agree that, in both cases, the skier behind was at fault. I guess the point I would make is that, the snowplough stance is far more vulnerable to such "attacks from behind" than a strong parallel, hip-width stance.

So far as current confidence on the slopes is concerned, we're both fine except that my wife still gets very nervous when there are lots of people on piste - the slope is OK, it's the people that's the problem rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnw,

I sympathise and know what you mean.... I have been taken out like this..and I was not happy at all... Bindings were jacked up for the days skiing...and this was not a place for them to be able to work. There was not room to pass and the trail of skiers was so slow and crowded. Luckily for me, I was only dumped on my back and unhurt...thats not to say, the idiot responsible wouldn't have been if I had caught up with them. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mind you is traversing across the diagonal of the slope with skis in a parallel position any safer? You still present a similar width to skiers behind you - if not wider when you think of how long skis are. I was making good progress across a slope in this fashion with an instructor this year and before we knew what had hit us we had two small kids from a larger ski class on the deck either side of us. I felt both hit my parallel skis - One went across the front of them, and one almost concurrently went across the back. I stayed upright and both kids were OK, but it did make me jump - it has to be said that once he knew they were OK I think my instructor was more concerned that my nerves were OK after all the time he had spent getting me confident - luckily I was fine
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, you need to go somewhere less crowded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnw, have had similar happen to me and yes it does knock the confidence and limbs (now have to ski with a knee brace Sad ) and still get very nervous on narrow tracks with lots of people
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, you're quite right of course, if you're traversing with skis parallel you probably present a bigger target. But the fact that you withstood the onslaught and remained upright would suggest that a good parallel stance is more resilient to this type of incident.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, quite right, in fact you are a larger target because your, ah, 'cone of unpredictability' is wider, i.e. you could continue to the edge of the track or you could turn downhill when first visible. The snowploughing skier in fact probably has a narrower overall track.

JT, what do you mean you didn't catch up to him? Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, clara_jo, wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,

It was in Zermatt and on the path run to the Murphy's bar in resort...so I went for a beer instead and funnily enough the fug dissapeared after a while..... Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not been knocked over in this manner in years and years but my wife has several times and I have recently decided that it is because she hears people coming up behind her, panics and then makes an unexpected turn that due to her weak technique, she does not telegraph to the approaching skiier who is then unable to compensate.

She had one particular incident with a boarder that ranted and raved at her and if I ahd been there, I'd have dropped him for that reason alone - regardless of blame.

When I come up on people ahead of me on these narrow type runs, I tap my poles together behind my back to let them know I am there.

If it gets too busy and I'm with the bin lids, we pull over and stop and wait for the crowd to pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
professorpool wrote:
Not been knocked over in this manner in years and years but my wife has several times and I have recently decided that it is because she hears people coming up behind her, panics and then makes an unexpected turn that due to her weak technique, she does not telegraph to the approaching skiier who is then unable to compensate.

She had one particular incident with a boarder that ranted and raved at her and if I ahd been there, I'd have dropped him for that reason alone - regardless of blame.

When I come up on people ahead of me on these narrow type runs, I tap my poles together behind my back to let them know I am there.

If it gets too busy and I'm with the bin lids, we pull over and stop and wait for the crowd to pass.

Good luck with the pulling over and waiting for the crowd to pass in some places. The home run I skiied on Monday, you'd have been there at least half an hour. It was shocking how many people who were ill equipped to deal with it were skiing it rather than opting for the gondola download.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy