Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report: La Rosiere - Tracks Vacations 11 – 18/02/07

brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, he has indeed.

I also have a 350D, you can see what you think of my eye here wink

Edit: no you don't stupid, it's a 300D.

http://mysnowsports.com/Blogs/mode=user/nick=brian.html

La Grave updates next week assuming I can keep the camera still enough ....

Last edited by brian on Thu 22-02-07 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
And replaced me with what?.....Mont Blanc perhaps Toofy Grin

... a molehill would suffice wink would just need to be a big one snowHead

Brian Yes , I still follow it .. although some of his best stuff was a year or so ago , but still so much better than what I can do ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, Had a look at your photo's. Have you checked to see if you have removed the opaque plastic protection from the lens wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, nice one. I love the 'S' reg Transit bit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TallTone, nice snaps shame there was noone there to enjoy such grand vistas with you!
couple of quick questions for those of you in the know about la ros,
my family,friends and I are staying in the chalet chez robert in les euchert,has anyone stayed there or know any info on this chalet,
how far is this hamlet from town? how can one get between the two?
is there any ski hire in this hamlet as need to equip 5 children or should we hire on line for cost effiveness?
best apri as we like to enjoy a few beers with family before we return to roost?
lessons ???? kids???? any input local ski school or ?????
ski school,how far from the hamlet? close I hope as I seem to turn into mr slush&rubble with about 50ish sets of ski and poles to carry first thing in morn.
have been looking at online piste maps and how long does it take to la thuille and back,also via run 7 as will only have kids lesson time there and back ( 7 looks nice and out of way of the ants),
lunch time eating, picking up said small skidders i dont know where and then ?????
have always stayed in resort before taking kids and would like to get it right first day rather than last
many thanks in advance of your thoughts and texts Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shorty, chez robert is fine. we stayed there three years ago & would have gone back but it was already booked. Went to les landelieres instead and met TallTone. Les Euchert is a bit isolated. It is well placed for the excellent L'Ancolie restaurant but nothing else. Shops, apres ski & ski hire all in la Ros proper, approx 15 min walk. However there is a good, reliable (timetabled) ski bus (finishes @~8pm however). Espirit childcare organisation excellent. They take the kids to the skischool meeting place in the minibus each morning. Eucherts express chair well placed for chez robert, takes you right into the ski area or you can ski from top back down into la ros centre. Kids don't take first thing as they need to be at ski school for 9 am.

See my previous post on tips on eating and ski hire. There is a lot to be said for ski hire through Espirit. They use Evolution 2 who are well integrated with the Espirit set-up particularly the childcare. However the queues in the shop can be severe on Sunday (and it is a bit more expensive than other shops). You don't need to take the kids skis away from the shop once hired as the Espirit staff take all the equipment down to the ski school meeting place in the morning. The Espirit staff also took us to the shop on the first day.

Strongly recommend booking kids' ski lessons through Espirit. Again they use the Evolution 2 ski school, which is closely integrated with Espirit and has a better reputation than ESF. These classes are solely for Espirit kids, and Espirit childcare ensures smooth organisation before and after lessons. The morning lessons finish @11.30 but if your kids are booked into lunch with Espirit this gives you time to get to Italy for an early lunch as you don't need to pick the kids up until 2pm. Additional strategies (all with Espirit) include booking the kids into the afternoon club, all day lessons or for the older, more confident skiiers, supersprites (worth doing). We booked the kids into morning lessons & lunch, but organised some afternoon babysitting (with Espirit) on one occasion so as to have a leisurely lunch in Italy (Le Rascard recommended).

It takes longer to get to Italy (60-90min) than returning (we did it in <45 min skiing fast). Quickest route is roche noir express-belette run-Fort chair. Take bellecombe I drag (it is in the shade first thing and you can get very cold if the temperature is low) and turn left at top onto 29 col. Bellecombe II best avoided as it has a bit of a pole at the top if I remember correctly. From chez robert probably best to take eucherts express first thing, ski down to roches noir express. The alternative routes of either roc noir drag (long) or landelieres chair (slow) are slower although from piste map would seem to be the more obvious connections. Getting back, allow 60 mins from La Thuille. Quickest is les suches gondolla-chaz dura express and follow the signs for La Rosiere at the top. Once at the top of chardonnet chair the choucas is a long direct & easy blue straight back to La Rosiere centre (10 mins from top to the kids pick-up).

I've more tips if you need them.

Final thought. They say that the conditions in La Thuille are often the opposite of those in La Ros. If hot/sunny, snow conditions will be best in La Thuille as the most interesting slopes are north facing and shady.

Have a great trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
al.p wrote:
Bellecombe II best avoided as it has a bit of a pole at the top if I remember correctly

Hmmm, your memory is playing you up - I took this drag on the Friday and it's straight over the top and down 19 blue then 18/6 red into La Thuile. IIRC, the way back to La Ros from the top was a bit flat, but it it no problem if you're going vers l'Italie.

shorty you are right, 7 San Bernando is lovely, most of it is the San Bernando pass in summer, so you have a bridge, trees either side, hairpin bends - but it's pretty flat mostly so be prepared for long glides. Crowds are unheard of pretty much anywhere on this particular Alp so don't worry. 6 La Nouva into resort is also well worth the ski (abandoned houses and such like - see photos! - make for interesting scenery).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TallTone, nice pics - I was interested to compare your "Sunrise Mountain Style" with my "Sunset Mountain Style"

Laughing

mine taken on little Nikon compact though, 350D far too clunky for skiing Toofy Grin

edit - ah I see it was an A620 Powershot, not a 350D

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 23-02-07 11:53; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, the tall ones camera is slightly smaller than a credit card Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TallTone, Yes there is a bit of polling when getting of the top chair at Belvedere on the way back.

PS Wasn't Saturday such a great day out with the kids Very Happy , Almost as goosd as Thursday out withthe big kids Very Happy

shorty, There is ski hire in Les Eucherts http://les-cimes-blanches.skiset.com/index-en.html

Also have a look at these threads for info
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23251
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15852&highlight=
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Great review very objective and I agree with you about fragile things that can be broke, they make me uncomfortable too more so when my kids are about. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

These were launching folks off their feet and dumping all sort of skiers on the floor.

The "Nutcracker" is still there then? We haven't been to La Ros for some years; sounds as though they should invest in some upgrading of lifts! My kids used to love that lift because they could do the little run through the trees back down - but maybe they've knocked down the trees and built apartments. Great report; really gets over the feel of a family ski holiday, complete with ups and down, including the car sick bit on the way from the airport. snowHead Interesting contrast in the cost of a similar holiday for two families, too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

they make me uncomfortable too more so when my kids are about.

I still remember visiting very posh friends, with our first son who had just started walking and was fascinated by their low glass coffee table with a three dimensional glass chess set on top.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
they could do the little run through the trees back down - but maybe they've knocked down the trees and built apartments.

Nope, "La Foret" is still there, and kids are still falling in love with going through the trees... Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, were you trying to get your missing week's posts all done in one go Shocked

Where is the executive summary for those of us that are disorientated by too many words and no pictures?

I guess that at the end of the day what you were meaning to say was

La Ros - over-rated wink
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Ray Zorro, you want a summary? Here you go...

Cool
snow conditions
TallTone, you take photos worse than Mrs Z, she just cuts the heads off, you've missed FtS altogether Laughing
latest report
Ray Zorro, he's the one second from left on the third lift from the right Wink
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, In fact TallTone, has missed almost everything rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Swirly, except the point... Actually the thumbnail is not the greatest. Click through to the full picture, the proportions are much better Wink
latest report
TallTone wrote:
Ray Zorro, he's the one second from left on the third lift from the right Wink

Embarassed I thought that was a woman.

So. What I think that your point is, there was a lot of sky and not much skiing. wink
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, We didn't see much sky for 3 days. But then one should expect this in such a snowsure resort. Go and take the P out of some one elses thread. TallTone, has 4 inches on me ( awaits comments rolling eyes ) and does Karate, so there wink
latest report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=544369#544369
Was it?
snow conditions
boredsurfin, We left at 4.50 and arrived at 14.20 so was half an hour out Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Well done, especially on the leaving 10 mins early Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Actualy we changed to a 4.45 dept, so were actually 5 mins late Embarassed Laughing
snow report
only 10 days to go and all is wellll.
any must do runs?
booked passes,lessons and have thought about packing my stuff about 90000000 times already.
ski holidays
Marmottes (top to Bottom)
Fontaine Froid
Ecudets
Blanchot
Mouflon

Over to Italy
All the reds & blacks in the Col (pass) area
Blacks into La Thuile (some are tricky & Steep through the trees)
All the reds in the Arnouvaz area
And red 6 down into La Thuile
Lunch at the Picollo San Bernardo bar in the Col of Panini, hot choc, and a bombardino.
Lunch at La Rascard in La Thuile

Enjoy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shorty, your question about ski hire does not seem to have been answered. This year Skiset have opened a "branch" in the Cimes Blanches (which is in Eucherts) but I think you may have to book it - which you can do on the ski-set website http://www.skiset.com/

Frosty the Snowman's suggestions of runs-to-do are great. I would add that piste 3 in la Thuile is a must if you like steep slopes Shocked .
snow conditions
Nick L, Did you notice the brown stripe down the side Embarassed Embarassed . On the bright side the kids love it when they wait at the bottom and rip the P out of the old man. Embarassed
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Have only just found and read your report - it all sounds wonderful - and you got to have a bombardino! snowHead
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, no brown stripe noticed by me - but possibly by the people after me? Shocked
Piste 3 certainly has the longest sustained v steep bit that I have skied (I would like to feel that I did manage a bit more than simply "surviving" it). We only got on it by accident - we couldn't find the start of piste 4, so said "Oh, what the hell, anyone unhappy to try the black?"
The best/worst bits about it were watching the 6 yr old in our party making a better fist of it than me, and watching my 17yr old filling his jacket up with snow as he slid down the bottom hald of the first steep pitch.
A great sense of achievement/relief was had by all when we made it to the join with Piste 7. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy