Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

weekend accommodation easy to book?

Poster: A snowHead
Do you find weekend accommodation fairly easy to book?
Just wondering if it's harder as resorts are generally set up for week long stays?

Looking at something near Geneva for March/April...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One thing with weekend accommodation to remember is that it splits 2 weeks up, a lot of places aren't willing to do that a long way in advance but will take anyting they can get when it gets nearer the time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It can be tricky in some resorts but if there aren't too many of you can usually find something if you persevere.

eg: we couldn't get into Saalbach with 14 of us in January and had to go to Mayrhofen but I'm expecting to be able to find something in Saalbach in a couple of weeks with only 4 of us.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, other than Xmas and half-term you shouldn't have a problem - hotels will always fit you in if they can and, generally, resort Tourist Offices will be able to help out (particularly close to the time). Certainly for March you should be able to find something and I'm not sure Easter will be that busy this year (unless there's a huge snowstorm and subsequent powder frenzy!).

Assume you've got flights to Geneva booked - in which case you have huge choice of resorts and can probably leave it quite late to book accom (so long as your dates are pre-Easter). If you're hiring a car you can look at some of the towns in the valleys to give you more choice still (e.g. Annecy is a beautiful place to stay).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have had a MARE trying to get accom for a quick 4 day break over easter. I have emailed every chalet in les arcs, 3v and Tignes, they all say email me a week before you fly.

I have got a nice place a little down the hill from Tignes les lac, but I will have a car
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajbaldwin, We had a similar problem trying to find somewhere in the 3v in the end we have booked an appartment for the week although we were only going to use it for 4 nights although we have now extended that to 5.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as someone has already mentioned, long weekends normally split up two weekly periods. you may have some luck if you begin your trip on a saturday. easyjet run flights leaving around 6am on Sat mornings, so if well planned, you could be on the slopes by 11am (have previously made it to my place by 10am). you may struggle somewhat with easter (6th-9th April) meaning that 31st March to 14th April are school holidays so flights are expensive and less accomodation is available.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
don't forget French resorts will be very busy till March 10th - still school holidays. But even out of school holidays it can be difficult; I was not able to book an apartment over a long weekend in Les Gets in mid January a few weeks ago, even though there was masses of empty accommodation. The tourist office simply refused to discuss it, effectively, insisting on Sat-Sat bookings. I did find a place in the end but we had to pay for quite a more than we could use. Are other countries more flexible than the French? It's another reason to get your own apartment!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are places available but it seems like this has to be in the bigger resorts like Chamonix.
Do you think it's easier to ring up locally than book online (more choice available) ?

All I'm worried about is booking the flights and leaving it so late that we can only get accommodation in a resort that has crap snow.
Obviously, most resorts within 1-2 hours of Geneva are gonna be popular !

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-02-07 15:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, Given that Easter is in early April this year, everybody I know who do weekend packages were booked up months ago....I suspect you will find somewhere, but might not be picked from the top drawer...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you think it would just be better to pick somewhere like Chamonix, book it all up, and hope the snow is good ?
I'm pretty much looking at any within 1 to 1/5 hours of Geneva. This list here: http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been going through the same thing, finally got somewhere but am sworn to secrecy, probably a faux pas but here is another link to, gulp, SCGB:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/resortscloseto.asp
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GordonFreeman, i think you'll be fine if you have a car and are willing to do a drive from your accom to the slopes every day

close to GVA we have sorted w/e accom in Cham, Grand Masiv, Les Houches etc with no probs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about ski bus or walk to lifts ? Blush
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We will do short breaks/weekends with flexible start and finish days, but not in all properties in all resorts. The problem, as has been pointed out, is that the break can often be cutting across two weeks, leaving unusable/unsellable days at either end hence the need to charge more than a straightforward division of a 7 day cost, divided by 4/5 or however long the trip is. Start days of Saturday/Sunday are easier and often cheaper than if you arrive on a Thursday and leave on Monday for example
snow conditions
Surely enterprising chalet & appartment owners can make more money like this - break a week into Fri-Mon and sell it at say 70% of the week's price then sell the rest at 60% to those who like the cheap mid week flights? More admin/changeover cost but a big potential market that is inadequately served at the moment. It means that even in a hard to fill week you are virtually guaranteed the weekend to be booked and actually you can afford more voids anyway.
ski holidays
fatbob, This is essentially what we do with some properties but can only do it with the properties we own/control for the season. For the others, we too are dealing with the French agents who don't seem to want to recognise this niche. I think in essence, that they don't want the hassle and it can be a hassle at times. This week for example one property has 3 different groups in on short breaks - one leaves, we do the changeover and the other arrives an hour or two later, and then again at the weekend. However, we recognise that there is a market hence why we roll our sleeves up and do it! Very Happy
latest report
fatbob, I do this with my apartment. I offer a weekly price,with Sunday changeover, and a nightly price (minimum of 3 nights) , except during the UK school holidays. We have been fully booked for all available nights apart from 2 weeks in January, from 15th December until 7th April. From 25th Feb until 18th March (when we start our stay there, is all a combination of short breaks. It has worked well this winter, with no odd vacant nights. One enquirer changed her required dates to suit my vacant dates. We did the same last winter, but had 5 nights spare in mid-March, which we took the opportunity to use ourselves.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy