Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megève

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Slightly belated report from half term week.

A real mixed bag of weather and snow conditions. Temperature up and down like a yo-yo. Snow, then rain, then snow, then rain, then snow ... then sun. Pretty thin conditions to begin with, some almost powder days (not real light and fluffy, but a nice foot or so on pistes that were unbashed all day - and pretty good off piste throughout on Mt Joly), days with puddles at the lower stations, decent spring-like conditions at the end ... but with the potential for rapid thinning without another dump.

The last day was best - only because I finally beat a laundrette in a GS! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're off there for a long week end in a couple of weeks with Stanford Skiing.
Are there any restaurants you'd recommend or top runs (or dodgy flat bits to avoid as I'm a darkslider).
I have my fingers crossed for more snow and low temps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ashton parker,

Mountain restaurants: there's loads of excellent places but I would mention:

l'Auberge de Christommet. One of my favourite restaurants anywhere. Quite expensive though. I recommend the magret de canard, which you cook to your liking on a hot stone at your table. The desserts are superb. It's between the Jaillet and Christommet mountains (which are not lift-linked to the rest of the domain, but a nice place to slide if there's sufficient snow) and is also accessible by road from the village.

l'Auberge de Côte 2000. Similar to the above but less atmospheric. You could try the bison reared on the neighbouring farm, if you'd like to extend your mortgage. At the bottom of the lower Côte 2000 lift and accessible also by road.

Radaz. Much cheaper and more intimate than the above. Excellent tartiflette and omelettes. No chips! Just off the ladies world cup downhill run (also accessible from less steep pistes), on the way to the lanchettes drag (or you can just point yourself down the WC run if you're feeling up to it (watch out for the compression!).

Village restaurants: My favourite smart restaurant is the Prieuré - right next to the church in the main square. If you collect Michelin stars, the Ferme de mon Père is a short walk up towards Mt d'Arbois. The Brasserie Centrale is excellent for pizzas etc.

Sliding: Côte 2000 is my favourite area. You can get the bus up there or the bubble from the village to Rochebrune and crab up and down the ridge to the far end. The snow's always good, some nice steep runs and plenty of off-piste available. Not a place for beginners though.

Mt Joly is the highest part of the resort. Although it's not that high compared with many places, it is very exposed. In my book, the pistes there are hardly worth the trouble, but there's any number of ways down off-piste: all of them quite challenging.

A jaunt over to St Nicholas de Veroce is very pleasant if the snow's good. There's a variety of gentle / steep / off piste ways of accomplishing that.

If you don't want to stray too far from the main base at the Mt d'Arbois plateau, the routes down the left side of the mountain as you look up (Pylones, Voltigeurs, etc) are much less crowded than the other side. They're all reds and blacks though. On the other side, the Ideal and Mt Joux chairlifts are the ones where queues are likely to develop.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

Bon ski!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ashton parker, I forgot "dodgy flat bits":

- from top of Pre Rosset and Lanchettes drags round to Côte 2000, especially the first bit which is actually uphill (sometimes into the teeth of a gale as well). The drags are steep too, so you may not like them anyway. The only alternative to getting to Côte 2000 is the bus - you can ski the rest of Rochebrune separately, getting the Chamois/Caboche bubble or Rochebrune cable car from the village.

- from the St Nicholas / Mt Joly side of Mt Joux, when returning to Megève. Take the short drag to the top of Mt Joux rather than skirt round the side to the Rosay piste.

- from anywhere on Mt Joux, to the top of Etudiants. The alternative though is the long/steep drag Etudiants drag.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy