Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler or Salt Lake City for Expert Skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
My friend and I had originally planned to go to St Anton but with the mediocre snow conditions there we are now looking into skiing in North America. My friend is very keen on Whistler but I am favouring the Salt Lake City area. I know that Whistler is a top notch resort but I have also heard from people that the expert skiing is not that good. We are mainly interested in off piste, sorry meant ungroomed, perhaps even guided out of bounds.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowman, how long are you going for?
Whistler is good, and has a lot of off-piste without having to go too far. With SLC, you'll have 8 resorts, all with good off piste, within 1 hour (4 are within 25 minutes of the city)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowman wrote:
I know that Whistler is a top notch resort but I have also heard from people that the expert skiing is not that good. We are mainly interested in off piste, sorry meant ungroomed, perhaps even guided out of bounds.

Shocked

snowman,
how 'expert' are you? wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-02-07 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whistler is a destination resort, Salt Lake City is not. It has a middle-America suburban shopping mall feel to it.

I am not sure how expert you would need to be to find Whistler 'not that good'. There seemed to be plenty of bowls and steeps to me.

SLC may be cheaper than Whistler and the four Cottonwood Canyon resorts are connected by bus. Alta and Brighton were my favourites. Neither has many lifts and there is as lot of hiking going on after fresh snowfalls.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My opinion of Whistler is mainly based on what I heard from a SCGB rep who I skied with many years ago and who spent a season repping in Whistler. He was not too impressed with Whistler. He also said that it can rain a lot there and the snow can get very wet. On the other hand SLC is famous for the best snow on earth.

I have skied in the USA several times but never in Canada so this would be quite a nice opportunity to add one more country. If we are crossing the big pond we might as well go for 10-14 days perhaps have a stopover in Vancouver which I hear is really nice. I think snow conditons are currently the best in Canada but USA is also excellent.

wrt to my skiing credentials I can ski any mountain, I like it steep and deep and do not mind some hiking or rappeling either to get to the powder. Cool Very Happy

However I also like larger resorts where you can travel around a bit in a day, some of the American ski areas are quite small with few lifts and can get a bit repetitive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Jackson Hole?
Not been there, but a real expert skier I know came back from there proclaiming it's hard-core credentials.
To get the best of any N.American resort get a guide as you really need to be skiing with someone who knows where to go for the goods - I believe JH has a steeps and deeps course where from what I've read boredom isn't really an issue Shocked snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to both...SLC without any doubt at all. just make sure you rent a car.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If this trip is happening this year then Whistler is the only choice. The intermountain area (Utah, Montana, Wyoming and Southern Idaho) is experiencing a low snow year. Looks like the weather might be changing this week but it will take a lot to get the "expert" terrain skiing well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth, JH was already on my radar, would be a great twin with SLC as only a few hours drive away.
canucklehead, thanks for the info...I was not aware that this is not a good season for the area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Snowman - try Kicking Horse in Canada. Met a few expert skiers in Banff last year that raved about it.

The D Telegraph ski writer also very impressed "Kicking Horse is a destination for serious skiers and riders who want steep and deep powder without having to dispense with creature comforts. This remote resort lies above the town of Golden on what was once the community ski hill of White Tooth, a three-hour drive from Calgary." DT 27/11/06

The other resort N American resort recommended in the article was Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No idea about current snow but although we had some fine and steep skiing on our Whistler trips, I think Utah and or JH would be my choice for a repeat. Don't stay in SLC as it's really not that great a city (sorry any locals). If it was me/us we'd probably stay in Park City again or maybe even up a Solitude...(OK so there's nothing up there but I reckon it could be better than Alta after a storm...)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

"Kicking Horse is a destination for serious skiers and riders who want steep and deep powder without having to dispense with creature comforts.

Creature comforts!!??? In Golden!!!!!!????!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what I heard from a SCGB rep

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

"Kicking Horse is a destination for serious skiers and riders who want steep and deep powder without having to dispense with creature comforts.

Creature comforts!!??? In Golden!!!!!!????!!

Hey-there's a curry house of sorts & a VIP gondola cabin!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

what I heard from a SCGB rep

rolling eyes

Probably the rep spent 04/05 there wink Just bumped into a Whistler local this weekend who left Whistler in January to instruct in Engelberg this winter. He was a bit pissed off (other than with the opportunity to get paid to take Swedish girls skiing every day wink )
snow report
snowman, I've not been to SLC, but I have been to Whistler. It's an excellent resort, with plenty of challenging skiing to keep you occupied.

Really though, I don't think that you'll go wrong with either. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for all your help. Any idea when it's a good time to go to Whistler (in the next few weeks) or what dates to avoid....half term/holidays, etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

Any idea when it's a good time to go to Whistler (in the next few weeks) or what dates to avoid....half term/holidays, etc.

As soon as you can manage!

The biggest winter holiday has just past (this week)! The equivalent of half term in America is in middle of March. So resorts tend to get booked up starting in 2nd week of March. So if you can get yourself over the next couple weeks, you would avoid the crowd and probably even score a discount lodging deal. Don't know about Canada though. I would recommend to avoid at least the Easter weekend.

Starting April, the crowd will be gone and the day long and warm, and snow soft. Both Whistler and Utah usually have plenty of snow cover till mid-April or later.
snow report
either destination.....period.
ski holidays
WHISTLER..............I've not been to Utah but the skiing is great in Whistler and there are some good double diamond (blacks) and plenty of off-piste but by far the best aspect is the Longhorn Bar (I'll be in there every day from 4.30 between 7th and 14th March!).
ski holidays
There is a lot of expert terrain in Utah (I can only vouch for Snowbird and Alta some very scary chutes), but due to the lack of snow (for utah at least, although a big storm has hit last night and today) a lot of the expert terrain is a little rocky. So be prepared to avoid the odd rock and expect to get your skis tuned afterwards. I haven't been to whistler so can't compare the two. As a resort goes Park City is closer to a European resort, while SLC is just a VERY conservative middle American city that happens to be close to some great skiing areas.
snow report
Snowman, i went to both last season. Whistler has great vertical, an awesome village and a cool atmosphere. I prefer Utah. The Park City resorts are pretty mellow skiing-wise though you can have a good time off of the Jupiter lift at PCMR as an expert. My wife is a cruiser and loved Deer Valley. Go to PC if you've got a group of mixed ability levels. Alta and Snowbird have amazing terrain. While the vertical is only half of Whistler's, the runs are more consistently pitched. You can get to any of these resorts easily with a car. Whistler and Utah are both having good snow years so you're going to find snow and have a good time either way. Good luck and have fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy