Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets - BASS or ESF ?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Les Gets on 11th March and can't decide whether to book my children (aged 8 and 10) into BASS or ESF for their ski school. They are 3rd year skiers and have their 1eme Etoile from ESF when in Les Contamines. Thinking of 5 mornings Mon - Fri.

Have had no problem with ESF in past, language has always been good (instructors spoke excellent English!) and groups were small due to being in March.

Now that I have a choice for Les Gets, can't decide which to book.

Any comments/experiences please ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have used BASS in Les Gets in the past for adults and children and found them very good. Guaranteed small groups. With the ESF you are going to be taking a gamble on group size but I would imagine you would get good English in Les Gets. Unlikely to be a group of 14 after 10 March (common at half term!), but could well be 12. If they want to continue with the ESF awards scheme they will obviously have to stay with ESF, and it is certainly cheaper. You might find you have no choice, actually, because BASS could well be fully booked!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We will be in Les Gets too from 10th March.

We have used BASS for many years for our kids and their friends (ranging from 7 to 12 years old) and have found them excellent. They are more expensive than ESF, and only start on the Monday, not the Sunday. The lessons are half an hour shorter each day compared to ESF (or used to be anyway), but they start their lessons at the top of the Chavannes so miss all the madness and queues at the bottom, so possibly get more skiing time in at the end.

One problem as Pam has said, you may not be able to book them as they may well be full already - we find that we have to book nearly a year in advance, and that is always outside the half term dates! Give them a call as they may have cancellations - they have various start times throughout the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tatty, welcome to Snowheads - it's some year since we went to Les Gets and this more up to date info is extremely helpful. I'm glad some parents are still taking kids outside school holidays; I'm afraid we always did so, and it didn't seem to stop them doing fine at school!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BASS is very expensive for no tangible benefit.

I would recommend 360 INternational at 35e per hour:

professorpool wrote:
Resort: PDS - Les Gets
School: 360 International
Instructor name: Fred
Season: Christmas 2006
Level: Beginner 5 yr old and 7 yr old
Lesson type Private
Assessment (1=poor; 5=outstanding):5
- Communication: 5
- Accuracy of diagnosis: 5
- Effectiveness of treatment: 5
- Fun factor: 5
Comments: This guy changed my kids lives. Taught them to count to 100 to boot and other French phrases.

This whole thread of recommended instructors is worth a looksee:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5129

And also this lengthy and firey debate on the virtues of the high prices of much of the British Ski Instruction:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21560&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=expensive&start=0
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've used 360 international as well, and would also recommend them. Prices are more or less in line with ESF, group sizes in line with BASS.

www.skisurf360.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bass are quality. This fellow is worth a look and will be as good as if not better than bass...

http://www.theedgesnowsports.com/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:
I've used 360 international as well, and would also recommend them. Prices are more or less in line with ESF, group sizes in line with BASS.

www.skisurf360.com

No danger, you have to give their website a go, just for the hell of it, lol!

English version:

http://www.skisurf360.com/english/360.swf
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the great replies - jus the information I need.

I am now started to get worried that I should have booked ski school early ! Looked at the ESF website but they would only take booking starting on a Sunday but our 1st day skiing is Monday. Have reqistered an enquiry with BASS and await response.

Pam W - hasn't done my kids any harm - they are top of their class anyway so gives the others a chance (but I would say that !). I look at this way - when schools take kids skiing it is an educational trip!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No danger, you have to give their website a go, just for the hell of it, lol!

See what you mean ! How not to do a website......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That does not reflect on their instruction, which is excellent!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for 360 international - Haven't used in Les Gets but they set up an offshoot version in Samoens last year and were very good.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at their website, it would seem that I can have a private lesson for both my children (at times to suit - no legging it to the slopes for 9am) for 35euros an hour. So two hours for 5 days will cost 350 Euros or £236. Seems good when you look at BASS prices of £220 for group lessons for 2 hours per day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kendadj, I'm a lot biased here (as I'm training with BASS in Morzine and I know some of the Les Gets guys), but they're excellent.

I agree with professorpool that Surf 360 have a good reputation. I'd disgree with the "no tangible benefit" statement - but, as I say, I'm biased.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend ESF in Les Gets to my friends.

Without wishing to re-ignite the debate - pay peanuts, get elephants (or whatever wink )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the welcome Pam - yes we take our kids out during term time but we have to also take schoolwork with us as a condition of release!

When I saw the mention of Bass costing £220 for the week, I quickly dug out my booking receipt in mild panic as I have bookings for six kids! Nope - the confirmation price is £110 for the week. It usually goes up £10 each year. We have never had more than six in a group. Still more expensive than ESF, but not appreciably so from memory.

I must say, I did look at 360 a few years ago when I tried to book late and all the BASS classes were full, but was put off by their website - is that fickle..!? Ended up with ESF - let's say it wouldn't be my first choice.
snow report
Apologies kendadj - just read your post again - you have 2 kids so you are looking at the total price, hence £220. It's been a long day..... Embarassed
ski holidays
Tatty - bet that threw you for a minute !

Would agree about their website - it doesn't need to be like that.

Thank you all for your contribution thus far. I have no pre-conceived ideas about any of the ski schools and my children been in ESF for their 1st two skiing hols without problems. It's is going to come down to what suits us best and availability.
latest report
We have used both BASS (3 times) and 360 in Les Gets and I certainly feel that my children benefited particularly when the were in the early learning stages from the small class sizes, which I was prepared to pay the extra to guarantee . We have never used the ESF but we were certainly glad that we made the decision to book with BASS when our children were in a class of 6 and in some cases the ESF instructors appeared to have 12/14 children in a group.
snow report
If you are booking private lessons for children, I don't personally believe you need a whole weeks worth of two hours a day.
latest report
Good point professorpool, never actually considered that. I guess 2 hours private would equate to many more hours in group lessons.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My kids were beginners at Christmas. I got them 4x one hour lessons. On one of the days, I got them an instructor each, so in total, 5x one hour lessons.

Went skiing again last week and had both the youngest down black runs, thge youngest of all actually revelling in the steapness and bumpiness..
snow report
Thanks professorpool - am going to rethink my plans. Just had an E-mail from 360 saying from my enquiry that 2hr private lessons would be available 12pm to 2pm. Might think about booking in the resort as we go - maybe book 2 hours 1st day and then 1hr subsequent days.
ski holidays
kendadj wrote:
Thanks professorpool - am going to rethink my plans. Just had an E-mail from 360 saying from my enquiry that 2hr private lessons would be available 12pm to 2pm. Might think about booking in the resort as we go - maybe book 2 hours 1st day and then 1hr subsequent days.

12pm to 2pm is a good time for lessons - the pistes are empty.

I wouldn't recommend booking in resort as all the English speaking instructors will be booked by the time you get here.
snow report
Philip - thanks for that tip
snow conditions
If its Les Gets 360, ask for fred - he's excellent with Kids.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy