Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning Ahead - Flights

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all snowHead

Having just got back from a group trip to Andorra I have already been asked to plan ahead for next year...

I have been looking at flight prices and was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of prices Ryan Air were charging to Salzburg from Liverpool at half term this year (we have to go at half term as the group contains teachers). If anyone knows any other ways of getting to the Alps cheap(ish) at half term I'd be really pleased to hear them Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

If anyone knows any other ways of getting to the Alps cheap(ish) at half term I'd be really pleased to hear them

I booked return flights Luton-Geneva for my brother in law and family, for this week. I booked them the moment that easyJet released them, and they travelled Sunday - Sunday. The flights were £55 return. They were 4 - 5 times that price in the end. So, book early, Sunday travel might be cheaper. And if you do leave it late to book flights cars with 4 people in will be cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
train prices to french alps don't seem to change much over the holidays - but you need to get to waterloo first which might negate the benefit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smudger, I mentioned on another thread about Coventry to Lyon. Well we missed the "cheap" EJ flights. EJ from LPL to GVA were £230 each but managed to get Coventry to Lyon for £115 which saved even with extra journey and petrol to Coventry and an overnight stay in a travel lodge. So if you don't get the cheap flights, all is not lost.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your help! How do you know when the flights are released?

Also, as we are a large group I need to book the accomodation before the flights. Bearing this in mind could anyone suggest where might be best to book in terms of accessability given that I might not be able to book my first choice flights!

Also, a.j., Could you tell me what sort of prices trains to the alps are or where to look for this info?

Thanks again snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smudger, We have just returned from Italy using Ryanair Stansted to Verona. We are a large group so I have the same problems as you and have started looking for next year. We paid something like £50 each return with taxes and I booked the morning the flights were released, back in June (may have been the 23rd).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry Happy www.eurostar.co.uk (obviously), www.sncf.com (for french) or search on here: someone recommended an all in one company too - rail-canterbury or something? I did waterloo-> modane(amurienne valley) for £145 but you have to book in advance fairly soon after the trains open for booking (3 months before usually).

It doesn't sound cheap at first glance but no airport transfers to worry about, or parking at heathrow etc etc.

aj xx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smudger, Just checked. £67 each and booked on 28 June for half-term week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christina1, That's a really good deal! Where did you ski? Maybe it's worth starting a new thread where everyone puts down their best D.I.Y half term trips. I've managed to arrange fairly cheap trips to Andorra for the last 2 years but I think I've "done" Andorra now!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I booked my Bmibaby flights Manchester to Geneva 11th March back in June the day they came out. Cost £150 for 4 incl taxes (until that thief slapped more tax on - but still only £170 total).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smudger, We went to Selva Val Gardena in the Italian dolomites. Transfer was 50 euros each (coach for 19 of us), hotel (Corona) was 92 euros per person halfboard and the ski pass was 202 euros for adults (cheaper for children up to 16). We had a fantastic time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've noticed that you can book 350 days before you flywith Ba... at the moment this means it may be possible (based on current prices) for me to book Manchester - Geneva for about £150 pp. Is it likely though that when the prices for returning on the 16th Feb are released on Sunday the return flight will be much more than current fares for the rest of the week? I certainly hope not!

Has anyone booked early with Ba before? Any advice?

P.s for anyone who is interested, we flew Blackpool - Girona with Ryanair at half term this year for about £70pp which seemed reasonable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try www.skyscaner.net

It searches variuos flight operators simil.

So you could specify from Gatwick to france
Month : march
Dest : Dont mind

This would show u all fights to france and the lowest price for each day.

that way u pick the date and dest which are lowest in price,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skyscanner.net is better
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
smudger wrote:
Has anyone booked early with Ba before? Any advice?

I try to book as early as I can with BA, as in my experience their flights never get cheaper closer to the date of travel. I normally expect to pay about £85 for a Heathrow-Geneva return ticket if I book early enough, although that's outside of school holidays and not normally on a weekend. For the ski season I usually book around July/August time when I've worked out when I can go, but if the dates of your ski holiday are fixed by school or work commitments I can't see any reason for not booking as soon as BA releases their schedules.
snow report
smudger, On popular routes (i.e. London-Geneva) for the last 4 years I found BA to be almost invariably cheaper than Easyjet for similar times and dates. Sometimes quite significantly.

If you leave it till the Locos release their timetables you've often missed the cheap BA fares and the locos aren't that cheap themselves.
ski holidays
smudger, we booked early with BA last year - originally we'd booked Manchester-Lyon, but they changed flight times so we rebooked for Manchester-Geneva. BA Connect, who ran Manchester-Geneva, have recently been bought by Flybe who seem to be cancelling some of the routes - as far as I can tell the Manchester-Geneva route is staying (hope so 'cos I'm due to fly with them in a month or so).
latest report
Just looked at the BA site again and they have released prices for the Friday...I want to fly on the Saturday but judging by the Friday prices it looks like that's not going to be possible!

Guess I will have to move on to plan B (well first I'll have to think of a plan B, then move on to it)...
ski holidays
When do the winter flights for most airlines normally come out?
snow conditions
Flights vary - our EJ winter 06/07 flights came out June 26 last year
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy