Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back from our ski holiday - my (lengthy) report

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, maybe copy and paste your query to Bend Ze Knees? If my experience on other forums is anything to go by, not all people read all boards.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stoatsbrother, Laughing Laughing

OK I dont want to fall out over it, I'm going to beat a hasty retreat now that the Snowheads Matriarchs are mobilised against me wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
As for those that I term senior snowHead 's please be assured that I offer the term in respect of their obvious good sense, fair mindedness and the respect that they seem to engender from the rest of the posters. Those included know who they are, there are others of you too I just haven't got round to PMing all of you yet.

So that means the rest of us have no discernible good sense or fair mindedness?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Lots of possible reasons: weight too far back, pole plant not far forwards enough, failure to trust and wait for the skis to turn, insufficient speed, lots of stuff about body and leg position etc etc.

Beware - Skiing can be over-intellectualised. The minute you start thinking too hard it stops being fluid and natural.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, You obviously don't think you are included then?

As for your comment I do think there are a some out there that tend to post a knee jerk reaction without giving fair thought to how it might be received.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Now, before I lose the plot altogether, can someone here tell me how I get the inside ski to come round in the parallel turn like I can get the outside one to.

Megamum, A very common question. The answer is easy: Lessons, lessons, lessons Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, That's a lot of things to think about - maybe as you say that's my problem - too much thinking - sometimes I was aware that I could feel the cogs going round as I played back what I was being taught. I must admit sometime I caught myself doing it better when my mind was on other things, such as dodging errant kids and snow boards that caught me up from above. Also, although I was encouraged to pole plant I couldn't get the knack of it - when I sort out my video I think folks will notice that. Also, although I didn't really trust myself entirely, on reflection I do think things were better on the steeper parts of the slope - where I was probably going faster!

Frosty the Snowman, I got a full complement of 4 x 1hr lessons in this time - more next year I think. It's funny I never skied as well in the lessons as when practicing afterwards.

One thing I was dreadful at was looking at my ski's rather than the 20+m ahead - things were better when I started to trust my feet and look where I was going.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, well I did suggest long ago that you (and a certain long eared contributor) stop raving about "your" place, so don't blame me Toofy Grin

Megamum, it's actually quite difficult to ski "parallel" slowly on normal length skis. Ali Ross once told me he wouldn't even bother trying to teach parallel on a dry slope because the learners didn't go fast enough Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-02-07 23:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda wrote:
Ali Toss

Typo?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Very Happy Very Happy one would hope so!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oops R next to T, failing old eyes rolling eyes correct it I will. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:

Now, before I lose the plot altogether, can someone here tell me how I get the inside ski to come round in the parallel turn like I can get the outside one to. The outside one came round great but often the inside one got left behind and I found myself lifting it up to complete the turn easily. It seemed a case of rocking the inside ski onto its uphill edge at just the right moment, but I couldn't seem to work out exactly where this point was. Is there a way of describing to me when/where this point is please? Oh, sorry there I go asking for advice again - I forgot I'm not supposed to do this if I won't share all my facts must I? Confused

Probably should put this on the bend ze knees section.
Probably the single simplest and most useful thing I've ever learnt, from one of the most senior coaches in the WhistlerBlackcomb ski school (though renowned for his lack of coaching!!)....

Quote:
Let your old turn go.

This sticks in my mind whenever I'm skiing badly or in tricky spots. Basically If you just move your body into the next turn and release your edges, the next turn just happens, gravity does the work and both skis turn for you, you don't need to do anything - how good is that!! snowHead This seems to work for no matter what I'm skiing, steeps, groomers, bumps, etc, etc..

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 19-02-07 23:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I get the inside ski to come round in the parallel turn like I can get the outside one to.

yep, it's pretty easy to ski parallel on one ski. It's that pesky other one that causes the problems Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, I can see where you come at that from Toofy Grin However, I actually found myself with that thought when I had the inside ski in the air at times Confused However, there was a chap skiing with a mono-ski (?) - one wide ski, two forward facing bindings next to each other and wearing proper ski boots. It looked pretty difficult to move round on on the flat and on the lift, but when you saw him turning it looked real slick as he had no inside ski to worry about!! Can't say that I fancied it though - same prob. as snow boarding - all feet fixed in one location - Oooer rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, but on a mono he was effectively skiing "on the inside ski" - if you did that you wouldn't worry about lifting it in the air - think about it Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 20-02-07 0:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

there was a chap skiing with a mono-ski

Shocked
snow report
 brian
brian
Yoda, the over excitement of new ownership. Embarassed

Anyway, I fear my limited efforts to keep it quiet will count for not much in the long run. Ho hum Confused
latest report
brian,

Reminds me of the Italian job.. Laughing

Megamum, I thought it was a good thread ....and the amount of posts bear no relation to the ability to be able to ski....just in case anyone thought it did, otherwise there would be a few showstoppers on here, for sure...Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
JT, I was thinkng of changing to Bode The Snowman Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Yoda, I have to admit that's a another way of thinking about it..... Smile He was pretty good on it - I saw him on the top run where the reds and blacks were too and he was having no problems. I've never seen one before, let alone watched one used and have to admit to studying the technique with interest and contrasting it with my ski instruction
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

Laughing..and I was thinking of changing to that reknown japanese ski charger, I-suk...

and sometimes I really do.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, but Bode, Hermann et al seem to be on the slippery slope to oblivion, as comes to us all in the end Sad , whereas Frosty is Forever Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, monoskiing is fun - did it a bit mid 1980s - but not really cool any time after 1990 unless done ironically in a pink nevica one-piece. Getting on lifts sucked. All hip rotation and stuff I seem to remember.
snow report
brian, understandable I guess snowHead Hopefully the paucity of accommodation will keep things quiet. Anyway, since resort X has no apres and no shops the hordes will be flocking there in future Laughing
ski holidays
I can quite understand why Megamum was reluctant to name the resort. Look what happened when Val Thorens was mentioned on this Forum. It was invaded by a horde of manic, snow obsessed keyboarders. snowHead
ski holidays
pistemeister, Laughing Laughing Shocked

True
latest report
and that was only the Dutch....
snow conditions
...and look what happened to La Rosiere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, Ay lad, they're making 'Tartyflet' w'Black Pudin'
ski holidays
dont know what all the fuss is about. I have only five weeks half day monoskiing under my belt after trying 2planks only twice (hillend + le tour) with the same results, pain and ruined holiday.Now its down the grand montets and the kandahar albeit trailling badly the instuctor piloting the tandem ski with us but the learning curve is incredible.Yes the flats are a bit wonky but on and off the chairs is simple ( with the right bindings salomon 747s) click lower one in just as chair arrives.Only one answer buy your Cool self a Duret .Vive la mono .(Look mum he's only got one ski).
ski holidays
Quote:

there was a chap skiing with a mono-ski
snow report
Quote:

Now, before I lose the plot altogether, can someone here tell me how I get the inside ski to come round in the parallel turn like I can get the outside one to. The outside one came round great but often the inside one got left behind and I found myself lifting it up to complete the turn easily.

I used to be exactly the same and the breakthrough moment for me came when I realised that instead of going from one turn directly into another I had to let the skis go straight downhill for a bit. All the talk of weighting/unweighting meant nothing to me but it made sense when I actually waited a little bit before launching into the next turn. I explained this to my sister who was having the same problem as me and she had a "lightbulb moment" as well. Bit difficult to describe in words, easier to demonstrate. Good luck.
ski holidays
Quote:

Now, before I lose the plot altogether, can someone here tell me how I get the inside ski to come round in the parallel turn like I can get the outside one to.

If you're all secretive about where you've gone so it won't be over-run by others, we should also keep the secret of how to do parallel turns so you can't come to the black piste to get in our way, right?

At first, I thought the resort X was just a bit of fun to let everyone guess. But after all that defensive reason as to why NOT reveal it, I felt the motivation is a tad selfish.

Still, you've gotten quite a few guesses on what you problem might be. You just need to figure out which one actually IS your problem!

I do think the internet is a better venue to exchange info on resorts, chalets and recommendation for instructors. Not so great to figure out how to "go parallel" in one's head. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-04-07 15:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Wow, I have just fallen over this thread for the first time. Paranoia City Evil or Very Mad !!! Entertaining to read, in a horror-movie-ish kind of way, but I certainly wouldn't want to make a substantive contribution - I'd be afraid of succumbing to the paranoia myself, since it shows signs of being contagious. Maybe that's one of the characteristics of on-line chat: posting is like thinking ie there is no self-censorship of the kind that people normally employ when they are writing or talking to identifiable people, they just let their uncensored and unedited thoughts loose. And, when that happens, people get offended and the whole conversation degenerates into paranoia. Dangerous places, chat rooms Shocked (Excuse the musings of a chat room novice, it just fascinates me - as well as wasting a prodigious amount of time, which makes me think that I shall soon have to curb my new-found enthusiasm for this site Sad )
latest report
Hurtle, It would be a shame if you allowed this to dampen your enthusiasm for snowHead 's. However I am suprised that Megamum, doesn't wish to help and advise her fellow snowheads. After all apart from the banter and hop balls, that is what this site is and should be about, helping others with an affliction to the cold white stuff.

Hopefully this will not be seen as an insult but rather encouraging you to be more open and help your fellow "members".
snow report
I am not sure what all the fuss is about I think most people have heard of the resort X Zermatt is pretty popular

SnowHeads should be about sharing info after all!!

In the interest of sharing tips I have just returned from a cracking resort in France with loads of great runs that is split over 5 villages and shares a area with a famous neighbour. It has to be one of the best resorts for late snow in Europe

The resort is called XXXXXX

ARRGHH it must be contagious..........
ski holidays
ajbaldwin, but yours is much too easy to guess!! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy