Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help, i have boot problems!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am due to fly out to livigno on saturday. I have skiied a few times before and have always found the boots pretty uncomfortable.

I thought i would polish up my skills and went to the snowdome in tamworth last week and had a terrile experience with seriously painfull boots, i was in agony for days! They just felt far too tight, i know obvioulsy they do need to be tight but these were terrible.

So, i was considering buying some boots before i go. But i have no idea where to start. Can anyone suggest a make that are larger around the calf area, or i am i better going for a bogger size
I only have size 4 feet so didnt know if that would mean the diameter around the calf area is tighter than on larger boots?

I just dont want my trip to be ruined by the inability to move after the first day!

Sorry i am a complete amature at things like this!!!

Thank you x
Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem with most rental boots is they are built to last and make the rental shop a reasonable amount of money. They tend not to have the level of adjustment you will find on a retail pair of boots.

Most good boots sold today will have cuffs that can be adjusted to suit an athletic (larger) calf. A good boot fitter will notice the shape of your calf and adjust the clips accordingly, before you put them on. As any good Snowhead will tell you, go for a boot that matches the shape of your foot and suits your style of skiing. Every thing else is easy but do take your time to decide what works best for you and never buy a boot thats too big (never, ever).

Enjoy the snow in Livingno, and don't forget to tell us how you got on!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lintin58, welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead . it's going to be a bit of a scramble to get boots before you go, with no chance to get used to them. Unless you live near a good shop, and can arrange to spend several hours there (don't rush it) it might be better to buy in resort. Someone will probably come along with a suggested shop in Livigno - if you buy in the resort when you arrive you should be able to go back during the week for adjustments as necessary. Ski boots are never going to feel like slippers but you should definitely not have to be in terrible agony. It certainly isn't a good idea to have boots too big, but it's better, especially when you are a comparative beginner, to have boots with a bit of room in them and wear thicker socks (but only one pair!) than to be squeezed in. I don't know whether you are male or female, but if male,you might find women's boots suit you better, as apparently women have thicker calves, lower down, than men do. Also, don't make the mistake my sister in law made of going for boots which are too far up the ability scale. She is a very slow and nervous blue run skier who once did a red run (took me all morning to get her down there, but she was desperate to have a go....) and told the fitter in Snow and Rock that she was an improving red run skier. She thought the more you paid, the more comfortable the boots would be. Wrong. (Why do those ski racers unclip their boots the moment the run is finished?). Tell the boot fitter that you have always found ski boots uncomfortable and that comfort is your absolute priority and unless you have seriously odd feet/legs you should be able to get boots which you can be happy in all day long. Boots that are the right fit will probably feel a little bit too snug for the first few days, even with thin socks on, but they should feel basically "right" for your feet. Definitely no "agony" though you'll not feel like doing the shopping in them. You are going on holiday, not competing in the World Championship. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you live in Hampshire or West Sussex, and have enough time, go to Filarinskis in Havant. They have a really good sale on at the moment and a couple of very helpful bootfitters. There are other good ones around too in other parts of the country - people will come along with other suggestions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see you must live in the area around tamworth somewhere. Where are you based as we are about 40mins from Tamworth, have a sale on, deal with wide calves all the time and could probably arrange to see you in the evening if that possibly helped your situation due to work commitments etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lockwoods might be an option - they're in Leamington.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Widney Sports in Knowle (Widney Road not far from M42 J5)- the 2 guys that work in there are really good & have loads of patience!!! If you tell them the problems you have they should be able to sort you out. I think they are open until 6pm on weekdays.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy