Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying 2nd hand

Poster: A snowHead
Im looking to buy a 2nd hand snowboard to save me hiring one all the time which is starting to work in quite expensive.

I know nothing about snowboards, whats good, whats bad. Is there anything you should be looking out for when buying 2nd hand?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least see the board before buying it?

I almost got burnt on ebay with a board in alledged "mint" condition had several gouges and a base repair. Fortunately my local shop made a great job repairing it and the vendor refunded me the service cost.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dj_colinbell, depending on what you want and how much you want to pay...it may be worth checking out Decathlon. I got my board there a couple of years ago, for about 40% of what it should have cost. And new!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
prog99, you were lucky I got burnt when I bought my skis in an ebay sale. I specifically asked what size the bindings were set for and the vendor plain lied, I had to get them remounted
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dj_colinbell, if you hunt about, you can get new for much less than you'd think. Look online for last season's designs, shop in resort at the end of the season or in the summer, or try Decathlon.

I got mine in October last year for 190€ board and bindings.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, that was a bargain !
i got my first board in April 05 from www.blue-tomato.at for a real steal. i then upgraded last May and got my board from BBC in MK with approx £70 off which isnt a great deal but it was the one i wanted and was one of the last left in the country (believe me when i say i spent weeks trying to source it )!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
end of season sales in resorts can be good, I got my Burton board for sub £200 on 30th April last year (Val d'Isere), not a great selection though, guess I fell lucky.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/new-SNOWBOARD-160cm-BINDINGS-BOOTS-uk-10-rrp-466_W0QQitemZ290082900886QQihZ019QQcategoryZ101731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be good vaule? or is that what you would expect to pay for that kit?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dj_colinbell, Bargains can be had but unless you know exactly what you're getting I'd steer clear of unfamiliar brands . . . and never buy boots on line unless you're replacing like for like and you already like what you have.

Probably best go for a mid-range mainstream brand board from a known supplier like Blue Tomato, Ski Bilek, EB etc when the sales start. Do the same for bindings as again mid quality is a big step up in comfort and durability from cheap packages. If you walk into S+R, EB etc. never be afraid to haggle. I understand that in-store discounts up to 35% can be beaten out of store managers by the persistent. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
dj_colinbell, Bargains can be had but unless you know exactly what you're getting I'd steer clear of unfamiliar brands . . . and never buy boots on line unless you're replacing like for like and you already like what you have.

Probably best go for a mid-range mainstream brand board from a known supplier like Blue Tomato, Ski Bilek, EB etc when the sales start. Do the same for bindings as again mid quality is a big step up in comfort and durability from cheap packages. If you walk into S+R, EB etc. never be afraid to haggle. I understand that in-store discounts up to 35% can be beaten out of store managers by the persistent. wink

When do the sales start?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My flatmate bought her board on ebay for £150- its by some random brand called Morrow, although I have since seen them in some shops in Andorra. I think to be honest she got done as they brand new ones were under 200 euro!

You should have bought when you were in Pas!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My daughter brought Head Board/bindings/boots as a package secondhand on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £110.00 when they arrived they all look like brand new a real bargain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dj_colinbell, usually mid March
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found my Atomic snowboard online for £265 brand new and it was from Germany.
You just need to keep a keen eye out for the spring sales as thats when the 'last season boards' which suddenly go out of style and thats when you get cheap deals for brand new boards.

You can try out www.bargainboards.co.uk as well.
They have all the info about correct size for board length and widths.
Also they have alot of deals.

Hope this helps snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you thought of trying out a few demo boards in resort? That way you can find out if you like the board before you buy. If you like a board and buy it they don't charge for hire. I've bought my last 2 boards this way, had some great deals and haven't ended up dissapointed.
ski holidays
Indigo, welcome to snowHead
latest report
It's also sometimes worth checking the rental shops towards the end of the season. I got my ex-rental board + bindings for 100 Canadian dollars in Banff a couple of years ago which was about 35-40 quid at the time - total bargain.
ski holidays
Ive been looking through ebay for the past week or so checking out the boards on offer.

I see alot of people describe there board as "still having alot of pop and life in it yet" what do they mean by "alot of pop".

Do boards deteriorate (sp) even when well looked after?
ski holidays
dj_colinbell, Age and use will take the stiffness out of most things Crying or Very sad

Things made of resin, wood and fibreglass matting will, with time and repeated flexing, break down the billions of physical bonds between the components that make the board . . . I've an ancient Forum that you could probably bend tip 2 tip, at least that's what it feels like to ride (I must put it on eBay).

The 'pop' is the amount of spring in the board, a ratio of how much energy is returned to you when you bend the board. It gets microscopically less every time you bend it. To a lesser degree this is affected by the 'camber of the board . . . the height off the floor of the centre of the board when it's laid onto a flat surface . . . a bit like a reverse curve bow (for arrows).

Unless the rider has been playing silly boogers in the park or likes to 'butter' the nose or tail it's unlikely that a board of less that 10 weeks use will be damaged. Check the base of the board for 'park' use and make sure it's not had a stone grind to disguise a hard life and most 2 to 4 year old boards will perform pretty much as new.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy