Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lock ski bag?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find where. I'm wondering if it's ok to lock my ski bag or not? Reason being I've got some smaller items in there and don't want then falling out if the zip comes undone a bit. Also I suppose it might be a bit of a deterent to anyone who wants to walk off with it.

Any thoughts appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't lock my Sportube, but it has a metal spring lock that can be undone by airport staff if necessary. I don't put small stuff in it, though. Cable ties instead, perhaps?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petemillis, I think it is OK to lock your bags again now, although if you are travelling to the US , I think you need approved locks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always use zip/cable ties on all my bags. Stops zips being undone accidentally, and gives a small disincentive to any potential sc*m, but doesn't stop customs opening it up if they want. In years of doing this, I've never had a bag come through with the tie having been removed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh - I always lock my bags. Shouldn't I be doing this?? Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually lock bags - nothing of particular value inside but I dont trust sc*m not to use it in some dodgey transport op. Particularly ski bags that lie around outside the 'normal' bag processing and could be more of a target.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, last time I went to USA (Sept 06), you weren't supposed to lock bags, but to use plastic ties instead (bit of a waste of time bothering with them, since they offer no security, although anyone who wants to nick my clothing is welcome). One of mine was opened and reclosed and had a notice to that effect stuck on it. I don't know whether the rule has been changed; probably, since it seems one of the few sensible rules to have been introduced since the WTC attack.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, no, that rule is still in place.
I never lock my bags any more (even when not going to the US). If someone is going to nick something from it in a pre-planned way, a little lock won't stop them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis, same as RobW, &richmond, the security of zips not opening or the casual thief and not giving customs or 'security' any issues.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I've just gone and bought a Sportube for my skis today. Bit cross with S&R as their website is selling the double one for £69 (that's £17 off the normal web price apparently), yet S&R in Brighton want £99 (same as catlogue price) and wouldn't knock any off for me. So instead I went to my favourite shop in Brighton - Surf and Ski - and bought a single one for £65. Still more than I wanted to spend but no time to order off the web as leaving Sunday.

Reason I've decided to get the tube is that the ski bag felt really tight around my bindings and left no room to wrap them, and I suddenly cam over all precious. Plus it's my 40th birthday next Saturday and Mrs M didn't know what to buy me Smile .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just go for cable ties - I took my bags through Lyon security and they were searching a lot of ski bags. I asked for a pair of scissors to cut the tie and they couldn't find a pair so just let the bag go though. Real security will cut them but yet they never seem to feel the need.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from the US. 2 of my bags - including the ski bag, had little notices from the NTSA saying they had been opened and searched.

Don't lock. I agree with WTFH. Very little that you can do to secure a bag/tube that a Stanley Knife or a pair of bolt-cutters couln't deal with. If I were airport security I would search the locked ones first. I like the cable-tie idea though, although I cannot see it really does anything except show you that someone has opened the bag,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We just use a cheap easily removable padlock, or cable tie, only to stop the zip from opening, and stuff falling out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cable Ties - Great idea but you can't take knives / scissors in hand luggage anymore so need to rely on finding such in resort quick enough!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew, aah, but swiss army knife goes in the little zip up pocket of the ski boot bag. No tie on there.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, mmmh - ok for those with little zip up pockets Confused
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Cable Ties - Great idea but you can't take knives / scissors in hand luggage anymore so need to rely on finding such in resort quick enough!

I can remove cab;e ties with my teeth in 2 seconds flat - no knofe, no scissors. Gggrrrrrr.
ski holidays
petemillis, But you're a bit heavy to take in my hand luggage rolling eyes .
ski holidays
stevew, you can now take nail clippers in your hand luggage though, and they will cut a cable tie.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Yup - and every apartment has a knife in the drawer.
snow report
I've travelled a fair bit and have never locked any bags. nor had any problem as a result. Did have one guy at the carousel in Sao Paulo take one of my bags off the conveyor, but I spotted him and pointed out his "mistake". He apologised and then took a completely different looking bag off rolling eyes Have also seen cases (the hard shell type) with locks coming into Heathrow from the US having been broken open (no notices stuck on), but that was not long after 11/9. The owners were irate but they could have read the warnings.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 18-02-07 0:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Just checked the BA website - they say all bags can now be locked - but USA require the TSA approved locks or to be left unlocked.
Apparently, if they want to chek anything then BA will get me to open the bags up.
Just checked in and we've got out seats so all ready for the off tomorrow. I've gone and got a family member to stay in house and dog-sitting now as I'm now worried about that! It's not so much things like the TV, but rather my PC with all my uni PhD work on it. I've gone and copies my chapters onto a memory thingummybob to take with me just in case! Now I'm thinking I should take the laptop with me as well. Holidays - what a pain. It's so much easier when I'm going on my own as nothing really bothers me, but the hassle of taking the family.......makes it hard. Stil, the kids will love it. We won't have to cook or wash. Just hope the ski shop in the little place we stay at has some skis left for the two smaller ones, and plenty of boots! And what are the chances of getting someone to do a lesson for a couple of hours? Nil?? Ohwell - I'll be teacher for the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy