Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another boot dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's pretty much time for new boots for me and I have a slight dilemma on which I would appreciate your thoughts.

Option 1: go to our local shop here
Option 2: go to Freeride when we're in Courchevel next month.

As I see it the arguments are:

Option 1 - pros:
- I've built a relationship with our local shop
- I know I'll get all the attention I need, it won't be a conveyor belt
- I have faith that the guy knows what he's doing
- It's close enough to keep going back at any time in or out of season
- The guy recommended a course of therapy (for my over-pronation) before changing my boots and will be able to support that therapy (which has now progressed to the stage where the old boots will be undoing the good work); anyone else will simply "treat the symptoms"
- I have faith they don't just want to sell me something
- I'll have a chance to break the boots in a bit before a week of lessons in Courchevel

Option 1 - cons:
- The shop isn't on the slopes so any adjustments need to wait until the next weekend to test out
- They only stock 3 makes of alpine boot (Salomon, Atomic, Nordica)
- As a small independent, they will make adjustments ad infinitum but won't be able to refund in the worst case

Option 2 - pros:
- We'll be staying in the Courcheneige so couldn't be more convenient
- Freeride have a good reputation for boot-fitting
- They stock more brands and models of boot
- If they can't sort me out they will do 100% refund

Option 2 - cons:
- I have no personal experience of them
- If my experience at Precision in Val is anything to go by, despite recommendations on here, even making an appointment is no guarantee of personal attention
- Risk of spending a week of lessons in pain. Been there done that already this season, don't fancy a repetition Sad

Option 3 I suppose is option 1 with option 2 in reserve for adjustments and could always take the old boots with me too in March just in case...

Another question: my existing boots are Salomon X-Wave 8s (women's version) and, until this season, were very comfortable. A combination of the liner packing out in a shell size half a size too big and my feet giving me gip this year is what's changed. Speaking to our local guy, his thinking is to head to the Salomon Rush 9 as the last is the same. I tried a pair of Atomics and the heel area was just too wide He didn't have an appropriate Nordica for me to try at the time, but my very first boots were Nordica and were not comfortable at all. Would those of you who know concur with the thinking of sticking to the same manufacturer adn equivalent boot? My heels are narrow, the balls of my feet are wide and my toes are long and I have limited ankle flex. With the usual caveats, natch.

Would appreciate any thoughts Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Freeride, trust them. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, er care to expand on that? Laughing On what grounds?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, I've met the guys and they're passionate. They have a good reputation and the staff are looked after well. I've heard nothing else of any other shops in the area. I belive that ski boots can't be done properly away from the mountain, sorry.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks, that's good to hear. If I talk to them, is there anyone in particular I should try to talk to? I will confess that my experience in Precision sort of put me off, even though another of our party was dealt with by them very well.

Oh and just for reference, when I say "not on the slopes" we're talking BSM/Moutiers distance from the slopes, not UK distance Wink Although obviously Freeride's location is unbeatable...

Any other thoughts from anyone else also welcome btw Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi eng_ch,

I went to Freeride in Meribel last year after finding out about them on SnowHeads and I am now a very satisfied customer. Emailed them a couple of weeks ahead for an appointment, visited the shop and after an hour or so with a friendly Aussie (what do they know about skiing? Toofy Grin ) bootfitter came out with some shiny new Head boots which I love. They improved my skiing a lot compared with the 15 year old Nordica boots I was using.

Even Mrs Trenmold was tempted and she is generally very cynical about such things as custom bootfitting!

If you are near to the shop in Courchevel I would go there - but try and make an appointment when they are not too busy. I think we went at 15:00 on a Monday afternoon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, I'm with SZK on this [well most of it] Freeride is the place to go as they are in the resort you will be in, and they are a bloody good shop Little Angel

boots can be done away from the mountain [but maybe not quite as easily Very Happy ]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
...boots can be done away from the mountain [but maybe not quite as easily Very Happy ]

The trick is to visit the mountain often Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy