Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiboarding/ snowblading is the safest sport on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
only the condescension in your imagination...lol. all snow sports are good, none should be frowned upon, but it is fact that performance wise, snowblades are crap when compared to the brands i have listed above. these brands mentioned are not readily available over the counter at your average ski shop, except maybe line (which has taken a backward step in regards to performance). in europe you rarely see them, i have seen 1 set of revel8's in the last 5 years. salomon have done fantastic though in promoting the skiboard sport, its just a shame that they have not realised what is possible with these short planks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme wrote:
only the condescension in your imagination...lol. all snow sports are good, none should be frowned upon, but it is fact that performance wise, snowblades are crap when compared to the brands i have listed above.

No condescension from me towards any other slope user, even if they do use low performance kit. Seems to be a fairly mean-spirited way to give yourself a different label based on whether someone uses the best kit or not. I wouldn't dream of differentiating myself from other skiers based on the fact that I mostly ski on race department skis Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i dont give myself a different label, i just use the correct label for my sport. makes no difference to me what kit other people use, but i do like to try and tell people what is out there. as i said earlier the type i use arent readily available in uk/europe, so why not use my knowledge to show folk what other alternatives there are to snowblades. people say the same things about snowblades all the time... NO GOOD ON STEEP OR DEEP the boards i use are excellent wether on piste or off, blues, reds or blacks. why be limited by your kit. folk ask here all the time about what kit is good , surely its ok to be able to answer
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme, ineteresting under 'bend ze knees' thread a question is asked as to which is the best to learn on a short weekend - 'ski or board' ? and i thought skiboard fits the bill, quick learning curve and gets you going quickly. A poster actually suggested this but was not too keen on non release skiboards over a certain length. Does it make a big difference when riding if quick release or not ? Why have rigid fixed boots? Serious (if stupid maybe) question
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
safety wise its a no brainer, release is best.. do i use release...no. i prefer non release. they wont sell boards over 110 with non release. i prefer the stiffness of non-release. if your gonna start out from scratch i would reccomend release until you have the skills/experience to be able to decide yourself, salomon only make "snowblades" with release bindings now, and i think that resort hire shops carry only release now.
as for wether it makes a difference to riding, i would say yes. my bindings clamp down solid front and rear on my boots. i cant feel any flex at all between boot and binding, allowing for total control. last year i had a pair of salomon snowblades, fitted with salomon snowblade speciffic soft boot (snowboard) bindings. they felt so sloppy. even when i purchase longer boards (125 or 120 maybe) i will buy non release bindings seperately and have them fitted myself, the longer boards dont come with the standard 4x4 binding inserts though, so will have to do some thinking on this
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, I'd have to assume people didn't end up with multiple leg breaks every time they stacked it.

However, amonst the three people I know who use (or used) the things regularly, I count one broken ankle, one torn ligaments and the aforementioned ankle/femur. That's a 100% injury rate, a tad higher than amongst the skiers/boarders I know.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the things with a bargepole.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, sorry i think thats just an unlucky coincidence, could be too many variables in there to make any assumptions
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
graeme, I'd have to assume people didn't end up with multiple leg breaks every time they stacked it.

However, amonst the three people I know who use (or used) the things regularly, I count one broken ankle, one torn ligaments and the aforementioned ankle/femur. That's a 100% injury rate, a tad higher than amongst the skiers/boarders I know.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the things with a bargepole.

A sample size of 3 is not statistically ideal.

On balance, the available evidence indicates that snowblades / skiboards are less injurious than skis or snowboards.

There are at least two reasonably reputable studies in the public domain to support that assertion.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, what does this actually mean ?

Quote:

snowblades / skiboards are less injurious than skis or snowboards.

earlier in the thread I found what looked like a good study that suggests less injuries with skiboards, but more serious injuries, i.e. leg breaks etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it hard to believe that non-release bindings on a ski(board ) of 120cm would make the sport more safe than skiiing or snowboarding.

To be fair you are always passionate in your endorsement of the sport, graeme but I think that you fundamentally have an image problem in that the vast majority of the ski-boarders I see are casual users trying it for the day with not a great deal of competence. I have never seen material numbers of people using them in most places I have been e.g. I cannot recall a single person in Canada on my last trip so unlike snowboarding which appeared to grow rapidly from the novelty phase, ski-boarding seems to be stuck in a novelty rut.

I see no profile for it at a higher level e.g. it was a mainstay of early X games but was dropped IIRC, if I walk into a ski shop I can usually choose from say 5 movies each of new release for ski & snowboard but there's maybe 1 old tatty copy of a ski-board DVD knocking around.

Though as you say its about fun so if it puts a smile on your face then why not?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, Try pushing me over when you see me on blades & see what happens Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
also very embarrassing being dug out of pow on the silly little things wink

Ski's aren't that bad surely?

Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
provenjohn, I know exactly what will happen, you will fall one way and I will fall the other way (cause I am on a board) wink by the way did you mean skiboards becasue apparanetly blades are pants Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that non-release bindings on a ski(board ) of 120cm would make the sport more safe than skiiing or snowboarding.

and you will prob never see non-release on boards of 120 in length, they wont come standard from any shop like that. will never matter to me that massive numbers wont be skiboarding, but would be nice for it to be accepted as a sport in its own right, without all the snipping and jibes about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, just good fun banter, I get it from my ski mates for being on a board and they get it back from me. Enjoy yourself on the snow !
snow report
rayscoops, yeah i agree there, can usually tell the banter from the snipes. i remember when skiers did it to boarders all the time, maybe they do it to deflect the lack of skills they have
ski holidays
graeme, too right, bluddy skiers eh, pointing those sticks everywhere wink
snow report
rayscoops, 97cm Head Big Easy twin tips with proper releasable bindings. rolling eyes
snow report
provenjohn, the big easy seems to be a popular board this season in europe, did you rent or buy, whats your thoughts on its ride
ski holidays
graeme, Got them 2 years ago after trying some for an afternoon, I think they are great fun snowHead
Don't really care what other people think as I go out on the slopes for enjoyment & with those can go places I can't on normal ski's (as least not without wrapping myself around a tree) Embarassed
Not as fast a full length ski's obviously, but I'm past the lunatic stage now wink
snow conditions
glad to see others with the short plank bug, they can be very fast at times, but i prefer to turn all over the slope, just to keep skiers guessing
snow conditions
To help the snowboarders here (and perhaps invent another 'new sport!'), what would you reckon to a snowboard about 1 foot wide and 2 feet long? It would be more fun than 'real' snowboarding - no really!! wink
snow report
stuarth, hey, no sledging allowed wink ! Actually a super duper wide board might be fun - it would definetely make me work the edges rather than skid my turns otherwise I would be knackered by lunch !
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Whitegold, what does this actually mean ?

Quote:

snowblades / skiboards are less injurious than skis or snowboards.

earlier in the thread I found what looked like a good study that suggests less injuries with skiboards, but more serious injuries, i.e. leg breaks etc.

The study indicates around 2% of skiers and boarders get injured in a Winter.

For snowbladers / skiboarders / miniskiers, it is roughly 1%.

To my mind, anything longer than 100cm is a ski. Anything less is a snowblade / skiboard.
snow report
Whitegold, well that is that then wink
snow conditions
Whitegold, what is the reference for this "study"?
ski holidays
stuarth, i think rossignol do something similar, "mini board"
snow report
http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geunsls9RFy2cAhcVLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE5OG5rbWZxBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANVSzA0MDJfNDAy/SIG=167bh297j/EXP=1171653797/**http%3A//www.rossignol.com/index.php%3F_lang=JP%26%26moid=271%26function=display%26oid=THEMINI%3A3qvz8461ccelx3ztze0uwbfy7%26tplentry=br%26template=themini.html%26alias=snow_themini
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme, now if that was twice as wide...... maybe.
snow report
so would the rossignol mini board be to snowboarding what skiboards/snowblades are to skiing????
latest report
graeme, no, it would be a sledge wink
snow conditions
I think the key differences have been raised on this and i hate to dig up an old post but......

Snowblades were made by Salomon to try and get in on the sport. This was after Line (yes the people that make killer skis) releases the Mike Nick Pro model of skiboard. The reason people make a point of not being a snowblader and being a skiboarder is that there are certain things about 'blades' that damage the name of the sport.....

1. they're cheap. they feel cheap, they look cheep they even smell cheap!
2. the people that ride 'blades' are often *not always the case* but often not serious skiboarders and just want to mess about.
3. the riders are often cocky and do not appreciate that riding short boards requires just as much skill as skis but uses very different technique.
4. they suck in pow, on the piste not bad but there is very little on the tail so the temptation is to ride back seated and bail out.
5. the binding mounts are all wrong and....well..... just not a pleasure to ride.

So that is what a set of 'blades' that can be picked up for say £30 on ebay feel like and are used for.
When you compare this to a set of £300+ skiboards such as the Revel8 Condor with a further £200 for the Rocker binding the difference is IMENSE!!!
Just my 2 pennies and incase anyone wonders what i based this on? Well I started off as a skiier on trips with school, turned to boarding, rode snowblades for 2 years and skiboarding for the last 1 1/2 years.

I currently own Salomon Snowblade R6, Lacrioix Titinal 110s with Line FF cam bindings, Revel 8 Condors with the 2012 Rocker binding, Nordica Double Six boots.
snow conditions
I ski almost entirely off piste and i don't think I've ever seen someone using either, except on piste, seen from a lift.
PS why is this thread so stretched? Is it to compensate for the boards/blades being so short?
snow report
snowball wrote:
PS why is this thread so stretched? Is it to compensate for the boards/blades being so short?

Laughing

I liked this thread the first time round, glad someone revived it... no really...
It's worth an update since rockered skis have come along and made blades/skiboards even less relevant. Still haven't seen any mini-snowboards in the intervening 5 or so years, most disappointing! wink
snow report
Mini-snowboards are sooooooo last decade. We have Dual Snowboards these days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy