Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello everyone! Newbie here...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my name is Pedro, I'm living in Scotland for the moment and just had my first experience with skying and simply loved it!

I'm a bit old but better late than never, I'm 27.

I have a few questions for you, I'm sorry if they might be silly...

1- Is it possible to ski all year? (I mean are there ski resorts open so we can ski whenever we want, even if it means going to South America..) If not what is the typical ski season? In Scotland I managed some lessons but we hardly have any snow by now...

2- I'm considering buying my own skis, I know I'm a beginner but I would like to buy something medium to very good so I don't have to keep buying new skis... I was thinking of Salomon's Streetracer 8 or even Streetracer 10 are those a big mistake? I knoe they are intermediate to advanced skis but won't I be able to evolve with those? Any advice would be good. My height is 180cm and I weight 73Kg so I was going for 164 ski lengh on those...

I just feel like ski all the time know, can wait until tomorow where I'll have 4 hours of lessons!!!

Hope to have fun in this new discovered sport!

Pedro
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newbiecrg,

Welcome to snowheads and welcome to skiing.

It is possible to ski most of the year round. Dec-April in Europe or North America then July-Sept in Chile/Argentina or New Zealand (some in Australia). If you wished, you could also fill in the May/June and Oct/Nov months on glaciers in Europe/North America. Very simplistically, the Northern Hemisphere is much for extensive than Southern Hemisphere.

Regarding skis, you need to make up your own mind. Personally I have never bought skis even though i ski 2 or 3 times a year for many reasons including
risk of breakage
cost of taking skis on plane
regular ski maintenance
rental skis really aren't that expensive

then again, many people do buy skis so you need to make up your own mind.
best of luck to you in your skiing career!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're not old! I just started this year and am about to be 50!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info!

For me makes sense buying skis has I can ski almost every weekend when there is snow in Scotland as I live very close to these slopes, so I can ski without going on holiday to keep me fit! Smile

It comes cheap to go ski just having to buy the lift pass...

As you say it is a personal choice!

See you in the slopes!

Pedro
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
newbiecrg wrote:

Good grief! That must make most of us appearing on these forums as having one foot (or in my case a whole leg) in the grave. rolling eyes

Anyway Pedro, good to hear that you have discovered the delights of sliding down snow.

Jon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
newbiecrg wrote:
Hi, my name is Pedro, I'm living in Scotland for the moment and just had my first experience with skying and simply loved it!

I started at 37.

Quote:

I have a few questions for you, I'm sorry if they might be silly...

1- Is it possible to ski all year? (I mean are there ski resorts open so we can ski whenever we want, even if it means going to South America..) If not what is the typical ski season? In Scotland I managed some lessons but we hardly have any snow by now...

In theory, yes. there are generally some glacier resorts which stay open for all but one or two weeks a year in the Northern hemisphere, and there are ski resorts in Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Peru and Argentina in the Southern hemisphere, but mostly not as large as those in the North.

Quote:

2- I'm considering buying my own skis, I know I'm a beginner but I would like to buy something medium to very good so I don't have to keep buying new skis... I was thinking of Salomon's Streetracer 8 or even Streetracer 10 are those a big mistake? I knoe they are intermediate to advanced skis but won't I be able to evolve with those? Any advice would be good. My height is 180cm and I weight 73Kg so I was going for 164 ski lengh on those...

You should really wait until you can ski most red runs, then try a few skis out, rather than trying to buy now. If you buy skis that are too advanced for you, then they will actually hold back your progression in the early stages. And until you reach that sort of level (it won't take long), you would also be struggling to make any real judgment about whether a particular ski was right for you.

When you are ready to buy your own, then go somewhere that gives you the chance to demo a few different pairs, there is no one ski that is right for everybody, or even for everybody who has the same style of sking. You will usually pay more for the top end demo skis than for normal rentals, but will be able to try several different ones, and will often get the demo fees refunded if you then buy one of them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, top advice about when to buy your own set of skis, and how to go about choosing them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks! Good advice here!

I only said I was only in the sense I see lots of children doing unbelievable things in their skis...

Glad I'm on time though... Smile

Pedro
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
newbiecrg, I should also add that buying a decent pair of ski boots that are fitted properly should be your first purchase. Having comfortable boots that accurately follow your movements will make the standard of your skiing improve faster than almost anything else.

Jon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome aboard newbiecrg, snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy