Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach advice req'd.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
Have searched around but not found much, please point me in the right direction or can anyone give me some advice on this resort. I have only ever done France and Italy but trying to go on the cheap this year so thought i would have a go at Austria. Am i likely to be disapointed?

I would like a self catering apartment or chalet, if anyone knows of any? I did have a great chaletfinder website i found on here but have forgotten it now Confused

Finaly, what is the best way to get from the airport to the resort (just me and my g/f)

Thanks in advance,
Pete
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach-Hinterglemm is great for intermediates. It is poor for beginners and experts. Lots of steepish blues and reds, but little else beyond that.

The two villages are moderately pretty. The ski area is mostly gladed and attractive.

Nightlife is above-average for the Alps. It always gets busy. But it is cheesy and dated. Too much Europop. Many losers dancing on tables.

SH is only 60 - 90 mins from Salzburg Airport. Very easy to get to, by bus or car.

Check the neige before you go. SH has seen limited natural snowfall this season.

Overall, SH comes highly recommended, if you are a low-mid- to upper-mid-level rider.

Otherwise, there are better options.

Try Zell am See or Kitzbuehel if you are a newbie. St Anton if your skills are topnotch.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncansarmy, Saalbach offical web site used to have an excellent section for searching accommodation based on various criteria. This year they 'updated' this section, still usable, but the old version was much better. If you do not want to bother with searching their database, just send an e-mail to the tourist office, and they reply immediately with of list of apartments. Their customer service is excellent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach is a nice resort, its fairely spreadout though (the main valley has saalbach and hinterglen on it) theres also leo gang in another valley Smile

the resort it self has varied terrain, a few decent reads lots of wide crusing blues and a couple of decent blacks Smile the off piste is IMO limited though, there are a few really good restaurants there (both the goat stall and I've forgotten the name Sad but you get taken to the restaurant on a piste basher then after eating and drinking you sledge back down to the town, its awesome fun)

the night life is well, its austrian and they are crazy people Smile

best way is to simply hire a car and do it that way Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
duncansarmy, Packages in Saalbach aren't cheap... better to do it independently. Transfers from Salzburg in a taxi about 125 euros each way if you don;t want to drive although it is an easy drive as the airport is on the right side of town. Pre-book your taxi via email The apres ski is "banging" and "germanic". Good restuarants, 200k of pistes.... check the snow before you go... The villages are in a long valley with skiing on both sides... in a poor snow year or sunny weather, skiing is often only possible on one side due to the south facing runs not holding snow. This makes the area far more limited. It has a fairly short vertical drop so the runs are generally guite short..... 2000m max down to 1000m. Runs mainly intermediate. Overall a good Austrian resort in my opinion.

There is a website called "chaletfinders.com" which lists all the tour operater run chalets. Wouldn't know where to start looking for an independently run one but in any event I reckon B&B is th ebest option in Austria as every resort is full of small pensions which are usually cheapish... 45-60 Euros pppn depending on location and quality. Quality is generally goos with only a handful of exceptions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
duncansarmy, I've been to Saalbach twice and it's a great resort and ski area. It's ideal for intermediates with some good long reds and about 200km of pistes. Saalbach offers very good access to the slopes with 3 lifts from the town centre. The town isn't that big so if you stay somewhere central it's possible to walk to these lifts within a few minutes.

There isn't a huge choice of restaurants but the larger hotels provide restaurant facilities to non-guests. That said, I'd probably go half board and I recommend the Hotel Bauer. The Chalet thing isn't that common in Austria.

I love the cheesy apres ski! Bauers Ski alm and the Hinterhagalm are the best in Saalbach.

To get from Salzburg airport, you can take a train to Zell am See and then a bus or taxi onto Saalbach.

Saalbach isn't particuarly cheap. The mountain food is good value and beer costs are ok, but the packages are fairly expensive. Some of the best package deals I've been on in terms of value for money and good skiing was Mayrhofen. There is plenty of cheesy apres ski there too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, some really useful info here people. I think this is the most informative and friendly forum of which i lurk!
We are both intermediate riders with my g/f only really reaching that level last year in Les Arc where she enjoyed the motorway blues. This place then sounds right up our street and one of the reasons i warmed to it was the short transfer time, transfers of 4 hours drives me mad!

We will be doing this independantly, so i guess it's just snow i need now!

Should i be worried about the lack of snow at this rate? We will be looking at the 3rd March!

Cheers,
Pete
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncansarmy, Both of my visits were late Feb/early March and the snow was fine. They seem to be recovering slowly from the poor season this year and they don't need that much snow as virtually all the runs are on pasture land as opposed to rocky terrain etc. Plus it's a fairly large ski area so I'm sure there will be some snow somewhere!

Some Snowheads have just returned from there so it might be worth asking them about the conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
duncansarmy, I take it you are a fellow blue with a monikor like that?

Just came back from Saalbach 10 days ago. Can be done cheap on a DIY basis, either flying from Liverpool with Ryanair or Manchester via Thomsonfly (which we did). Lovely little place, and cheap as chips when yer there. We went thru the tourist information office and found a picturesque little doghole called Haus Augsburg (we were a group of 6 lads so it was only a bed) at E28.50 per night. There was some really nice accomodation at around E50 a night. We also used a private transfer at 99 Euros each way (PM me for the link) for upto 8 people.

Apres ski was really good, lots of cheesy euro stuff, and some good English tunes in a place called Spitz Bab (opposite the afforementioned Bauers). Plenty of nice easy intermediate skiing, the runs towards Leogang in particular and the runs on the Schattburg side of Hinterglemm. Plenty of nice mountain restaurants and bars, including one which sold a pint for E2.50!!! Happy Days Wink

Put it this way, we are planning on returning to Saalbach next winter! Photographic evidence of our travels can be found here: http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/659
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again folks, excellent stuff!

Charlatanefc, you'd better beleive it, 'born not manufactured' unlike the majority of those houston redskins lot...arf.

Seriously this is what i wanted to hear, i will PM you for the Private Transfer link and also if you have the details for the tourist office that would be grand.

Saalbach, look out....more mickey mousers on the way...

P.S. love the hat mate, love the hat Wink

P.P.S Were you over there for the derby then?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold,
Quote:

Too much Europop.

Is that really possible??? snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
duncansarmy wrote:

Yes he was, although we'd moved on to Zell am Zee by then and he wussed out of a day's skiing to watch it!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier wrote:
duncansarmy wrote:

Yes he was, although we'd moved on to Zell am Zee by then and he wussed out of a day's skiing to watch it!!

Sounds like a fair trade off to me Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The rednoses really appreciated his choice of ringtone while he was watching it as well, each text from home came with a rendition of Z Cars Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlatanefc, andduncansarmy, C'MON THE REDS!!!! Toofy Grin wink
latest report
Have been 3 times to the area in the last 5 years & enjoyed every visit
Don't know how to do this links business, so : Saalbach website is www.saalbach.com. If you go to 'accomodation' then
'holiday shuttle' you'll find a transfer service Salzburg airport/Saalbach return for euro 65.00 a head. I've not used this one, but in previous years have used a coach company www.vorderegger.at which also runs transfers to & from the airport for euro 45.00 return though the times might not be as convenient.
snow conditions
There's an accomodation search at Tiscover
It wasn't much help for me but then I was looking for effectively a long weekend that would split 2 weeks' bookings up, more conventional dates might get a better result.
snow conditions
Richie, these "small club" fans feel the need to stick together Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'll tell you what Elizabeth B, it's hard skiing with someone that won't ski red runs "on principle" wink
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, Laughing
snow conditions
duncansarmy, I had a wonderful afternoon winding up all the out of town beauts Wink I was the only blue and the only scouser in the place out of about 200 people Wink

Go to http://www.saalbach.at/index.php?id=505&L=1 and use the online search from the accomodation tab on there.

www.transferservice.at is the private transfer place we used.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, shut up you tart. You were moaning about me bringing you down a black run last sunday Wink

Elizabeth B, I believe you were embarrassed by *another* small club last saturday??? Laughing Laughing
latest report
duncansarmy,
Did you book anything for Saalbach-Hinterglemm in the end?
There's a few of us from the northend of our fine city going on Saturday 10.03.2007. We got a deal with MyTravel / Airtours £470.00 half-board for the week.
Like you we normally go to France every year but the lads were on my case to try somewhere different!
ski holidays
Lucan, we're heading that way on the 3rd so will be returning when you lot are going out, shame we could of hooked up! Booked an apartment in saalbach for £400 for the week, nice little place. This is working out to be such a cheap holiday, if we slum it with train and busses from the airport too we're looking at about £250 each! Not really expecting it to be better than france but for the price, who cares. Just checked the weather forecast and it looks like we could be in for some white stuff too snowHead

Good luck, see you on way back Sad

P.S. if anyone has any advice on getting from the airport to saalbach by means of public transport please let me know.
snow report
duncansarmy, see my post above. 99 Euro's between the lot of you each way in a private minibus www.transferservice.at

You think it's been cheap now, wait till yer get there! Wink Oh, as long as conditions are decent it will dump all over france from a great height!
ski holidays
duncansarmy, where you staying? There are a group of 7 of us heading out on the 3rd. We're at the hotel Reigler (spelling) just out of town. Will keep an eye out for some Scousers in the bars - COME ON YOU REDS!!! wink
snow report
Charlatanefc, Just booked that transfer service, never had someone hold a board with my surname on at the airport before...wish i'd have told them my name was 'bond'! So is it cheap out there or expensive? You could read into your comment either way and was thinking of buying some boots out there...is this wise?

Just the 3 for us at the weekend eh wink

Richie, will do my best to avoid you....another red south eh *sighs*
snow conditions
duncansarmy, wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie, looks like snow mate Very Happy
ski holidays
duncansarmy, it's cheap as chips matey! There's a bar on the mountain where it's 2E50 for a pint. Most we paid all week was about 3E50 I think!

Food was ridiculously cheap on the mountain as well, about 5E50 for Sausage and Chips, Burger and Chips, Spag Bol etc....

The places were selling ski's at stupidly cheap prices due to the crap season they've had. Not sure about the boots, but don't forget if they don't fit very well, you can't just "nip" back there!
snow report
Have a think about Ski Amade. We are 45 mins from Salzburg - transfers cost €40 return.

I went to Salbach yesterday and half of it was green and the pistes were in poor condition. It might be different now as snow was due last night. Ski Amade has had very good snow and skiing all season. the pistes have been well maintained and we have just had a large snowfall. Very Happy

Thompsonfly have very cheap flights at the mo too!
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, happy days blueblood. Lookin forward to this, any recomendations on bars or restaurants?
snow conditions
flangesax, Sad
ski holidays
duncansarmy,
Quote:

Apres ski was really good, lots of cheesy euro stuff, and some good English tunes in a place called Spitz Bab (opposite the afforementioned Bauers).

as mentioned above. There's only one bar there that has Sky Sports, go in there only if you must watch the footy, as the service and the beer was awful. Otzi's was supposed to be good (never made it in there).

Best restaurant we found (again can't remember the name), was by the Spar in the town centre (went there 3 times). Most of the restaurants there tend to belong to whichever hotel they are underneath
ski holidays
'twas called Del Rossi and does mighty fine ice cream as well.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, thats the gaff Wink I may have had a drink before we went in there Shocked NehNeh
snow conditions
Cheers fellas, keep it comin. Looks like there's been a bit of snow too so things could be good. I'll be sure to post some pics of our jaunt in Saalbach.

One more question if i may; where in said resort can one purchase a pass of the ski variety from?
snow report
duncansarmy, From the bottom of just about any lift (other than the small pomas) that leaves the valley. They accept almost all credit cards, which isn't always the case in some other Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
Thank you so much kamikaze,
snow conditions
duncansarmy, looks like rain now though Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy