Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Le Grand Bornand

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading out in 10 days time - Do you think we'd be better to go all the way along the A40 and come off at j16 (I think) or 17/18 (again I think) for Cluses or go via Annecy?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
definately not the D4 from Cluses as the col de la Colombiere will almost certainly be shut ! Have used the D12 from j16 in the summer but it is narrow and windy and takes longer than you might think. We are going in march and it will be the D909 from Annecy for us especially if conditions are wintery.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers loatie, pretty much as I thought - though wasn't aware of the Col ( always headed towards Grand Massif from Cluses before). Looking forward to dinner in Annecy then, we had a great meal there a couple of years ago!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, loatie, where are you guys driving from? Thinking about driving down to near Cluses fior a 4/5 day stint - usually fly but fed up with it all. Will be driving from Worcester - any ideas on how long it would take? The way I see it, by the time we faffed around with getting to the airport 2hrs before to check in, sit and wait for that inevitable last person on the plane, pick up baggage, queue for a hire car etc might as well be driving! Any ideas appreciated Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're driving there w/e 2/3/ March from west london, head down to the tunnel for an 8am ish train, drive straight thru to Beaune/Dijon area (arive about 5pm) for an overnight then on to resort next day to arrive late lunch (in no rush as accom not ready till 4, may pick up skis early and get the kids playing on the village slopes).

Couple of years ago went via Annecy, bad weather really made the trip hell, last year went to Le Carroz and saw a sign for LGB from that side of the auto route, looks like an exit at Bonneville

loatie: is this road any good following up to La Clusaz and then going back to LGB on the road you mention from Cluses?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Annecy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MrDan, We're driving from Kent, about 50 mins this side (obviously) of the tunnel/ferry. Usually we drive to Morillon at half term. Last year we caught a ferry at 5.45am on Friday drove at a very relaxed pace, had a couple of swift loo stops and a decent late lunch stop - about an hour/hour and half and arrived in Annemasse at 5.30pm (would probably have been nearer 4.30pm if we hadn't hit what I assume was the rush hour traffic) This left us with 40 minutes, if that, to do on Saturday morning. Easy peasy!

Nadenoodlee, Me too !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Annie, that sounds great! We'd be doing it late at night I think so could hopefully miss any traffic (especially on this side of the Channel). I've heard from different people that it can take 8 hours from Calais and others that say it's quicker than that. Quite happy to take it a leisurely pace - bit of a road trip and much better (hopefully) than the hassle of the airport Very Happy Hope you have a great trip!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David S, the road down from Bonneville is the D12 to which I referred earlier.Have not used it in the winter but it certainly took longer in the summer than one might have thought from looking at the map.
We have driven to LGB from the south on the D909 from Flumet in the Spring.This is more twisty and up and down than the D12 and it was ok.Having said that people told me that this was a road they tried hard to keep open in the winter and I'm not sure if the same applies to the D12.
The weather this winter probably allows most of the roads to be quite ok except during and after a dump so could you try the D12 and let us know how it was because we aren,t going until the 23rd and if it is ok than it is probably quicker!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David_S, any recommendation where to stay around Dijon. We are doing the same at easter. Eurotunnel about midday on Good Friday and then motor down to Dijon and stay overnight and then the 300k or so to Les Carroz on the Saturday. Recommendations for accomodation would be great though!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry can't help on that one, we fly and then hire a car from the airport. Our kids love leaving home at 3 am to get the earliest flight and some same day skiing !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We use http://www.planigo.com and http://www.logis-de-france.fr to find B&B type accommodation.

Used logis for two years to find hotel and then booked direct (most have web sites in english) and this year have used planigo to book. last year stayed in HOTEL-RESTAURANT L'EMBARCADERE, NANTUA http://www.hotelembarcadere.com, easy to find nice place and only an hour from resorts, bit far for us in one day (kids in car), though still arrived just after 5pm so have opted this year to stop a little earlier this year just out side Nuit St George, previous we stopped just down the road in Meursault (good wine), think it was the LE CHEVREUIL , reasonable place staff were great with 3 hyper (stuck in car all day) kids. Not far from resorts for the next day. These are not hotels with room service and minibar, they are typical French B&B with emphasis on the restaurant, we look for somewhere to have a meal and bottle of wine and a place to sleep in reasonable comfort without costing too much.

BTW Les Carroz does not have a petrol station, closest is as you come off the auto route, then its first on the left and up the mountain, when we were there last year parking in town was almost impossible, though there was ample parking at the main ski tele cabin, and a little at the bottom of the nursery slopes below the ESF (we dumped everyone at the ESF then I drove back down here and managed to park most days within sight of the drag back up the hill)

Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David_S, thanks will take a look at the links. I would fancy a nice B&B with a decent evening meal as we are on holiday anyway and the budget hotels are a bit limited for restaurants. Thanks for the tip re the petrol station, we were in LC at Christmas and it was pretty busy parking then, although our accomodation has undercover parking and I am planning on parking in the Telecabin carpark in the day time.

Cheers,
Peter
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going to a campsite, L'escale, at LGB in a couple of weeks, is the route on viamichelin from calais ( ticked the quickest box) the best one to take?
Any hints/tips much appriciated ( planning to do it in one hit.........have a 7-40 am tunnel crossing booked for sat 26th)

Ta in advance
Mitch
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi
Hope you had a great hols at the campsite...I spent a winter season on there in my caravan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy