Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Musts . . .

Poster: A snowHead
Mark Hunter, the Mexican is now La Tryptique.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't recommend any restaurants as I only spent one day skiing in Serre Chevalier las year & we loved the skiing so much we didn't stop for food or anything else the whole day - we just went for it hell for leather with the skiing. It was one of the best days skiing I've ever had. We had a brilliant day - enjoy!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to SC twice last year and stayed at le livre blanc. Nice pub, excellent food, friendly staff. The only problem was the building was built on top of the drains and got a bit smelly and the rooms were very basic. we were told that Inghams were selling the place. however, noted that the hotel was still being promoted by them.

We have phoned them but most of the staff have left, but could anyone give there views on what it is like this season. We want to go back to SC in march and looking for good value accomodation
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevducky, not sure, as I've never stayed there, and we're usually in Monetier now. Have you tried looking at the 'Rif Blanc' in Monetier, as it has been refurbished and the food was lovely when we had dinner there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevducky, I sincerely hope Inghams aren't selling it, as it doesn't belong to them. They are definitely running it this season though, because they're advertising for hotel staff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I do apologise. They had a lease on it last year and were nott going to renew. In previous years apparently it had a poor reputation and then they got a new manger in who seemed to turn it around. He lft though at the end of last season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oooh we nearly booked the Livre Blanc, but I believe there was a write-up on Trip Advisor that also mentioned the smell. Confused

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-02-07 8:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has lots of character, decent food and a cozy atmoshere. When they say lots of character though, each room is different. It tends to be a lottery on what quality of room you get. the first time we had a bath which was about 30 inches long. second time we had a lovely room.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like the Lievre Blanc a lot - stayed there around 4 years ago and we had a great time - staff were excellent (Inghams) and I'd definitely go back. I can't recall smelling any drains but I'm not completely surprised - when I worked in Serre Che in the late '80s and early '90s I used to drink in the bar there a lot and it was a problem sometimes (the drains not my drinking in the bar Very Happy ). After my last trip I'd assumed they'd fixed the problem but possibly not.

The Frejus hotel (where I worked) used to have occasional problem with it's drainage as well - normally with erm...stuff...coming up from the drains in the kitchen. Not nice Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BUMP

Just a week to go, so I thought I would bring this thread to the top again:

1. To make me feel better after the $hit week I've had Sad

2. For thsoe who may not have seen this thread to add their two-penneth-worth Toofy Grin

3. Any predictions for weather/snow conditions too ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, snowing quite hard all morning and more on Sunday. Looking good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chris Checked on snow forecast via SCGB and seems there is more during the week too. Lets hope that even if that is it on the snow front, that it at least stays cold. Getting excited now!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know if the Snowboarding Championships are on in SC next week, as our friends seems to think they are ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned froma week at the Lievre Blanc with the family

I have tried to answer the various points posed below:-

1. Yes the Lievre Blanc is still run by Inghams , there is talk of it being pulled down and started again as apparently it would be cheaper to rebuild than maintain the current building, although no smells during our stay.

2. It is being run by a female manager this year and the food remains very good as previously suggested. As it was half term there were plently of kids staying who were well looked after, the service was very good on the whole with wholesome hearty meals.

3. We stayed in the apartment which has 2 twin rooms and a lounge with a bed in. The facilities were on the whole good, only slight criticism was that the beds were a little on the small side , although at 6 ft 2 this can often be the case. The 2 twin rooms were quite basic but more than adequate.

4. The biggest issue was the transpot to the resort, flight to Grenoble from Gatwick was ok, but the First Choice crew on duty on the way out had no personality and the aircraft was old and tired ( B 757 ), although we were fed a hot breakfast, which strangely had no tea or coffee served with it?
The transfer was a nightmare. Out of the airport inside 45 mins ( I consider anything less than an hour from the steps of the plane to the coach to be good ). No waiting for another flight, WOW...........
The rep then told us that the traffic was a nightmare... ( ok it is half term and Paris to boot) but the coach had a toilet, ah but it isn't working.
Out of the airport and onto the motorway all good so far, then Grenoble. 2 hours passed and only just off the motorway onto the Bourg D'Oisans road..........Another 1.5 hours and we reach Bourg D'Osians, many cross legged kids meant a stop in the coach depot just outside Bourg with the Alpe DHuez and 2 Alpes coaches from the same flight all sharing 2 dirty workshop toilets and a coffee machine. Sense prevailed and we wandered back up the road to the Total garage on the main road, whos owner must have thought all his Christmasses had come at once!!!
Back on the road and once passed the Alpe DHuez turn the traffic thinned and up on the Lauteret. Then the driver ran out of hours!!! He stopped for 20 mins then continued. we arrived in Serre Che at 17.35 having left the airport at Noon.........

We had a great week and the snow that had come down the previous week and on our first day ( last Sunday ) meant the piste were in great shape, very impressed with the ski area, it must be the only place I have been where there are no long walks after a misjudged schuss on a flat section.Weather was great, yes the snow was very spring like towards the end of the week and some lower runs were looking a bit worse for wear, but there was still some great off piste in the trees to be had.

Only minor complaint about the skiing , apart from the out of control Fench skiers who should have been in ski school , but instead spent their time colliding with 2 of the 4 friends we skied with and many others we witnessed, was some strange lift upgrades creating bottle necks.... e.g. to go from Chantermerle village back up you have a cable car, a 4 person gondola and a 6 man chair, no problem, however if you take the 6 man, you end up with a 4 man or drag to complete the journey to Grand Alpe. Even worse to get to Briancon and back, the 6 man Prorel leads to a drag!!! as the piste down by the Rocher Blanc chair is south facing and very stoney at the being of the week and unskiable although still open at the end of the week. I suppose outside of the peak this would be not such a big issue, but the queues at these bottlenecks was reminicent of the 80's.

The return transfer ( back to the airport in 2.25hours ) was very quick, so much so that 4 kids returned their breakfast to the coach floor on the way down the Lauteret, resulting in smelly coach, smelly parents, as we cleaned up the kids ( me included ) and a very peeved driver, even the rep admitted to feeling a bit queesy, so how fast was the driver going?

Overall a good value for money half term holiday with an internet discount from Inghams........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RDSpearing, Great report ! We are fly into Chambery, so not sure if that is a longer transfer than yours. Confused
snow report
IncogSkiSno, even longer Shocked wink
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, you are going at the start of the final week of the French holidays though, so the traffic may be a bit better. Only one lot of Fench kids will be on holiday that week.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Yes the ones down South wink
snow conditions
and our kids! we are the same band as marseille!

The snow here at the mo people is aboslutely amazing!

if you flying to chambery, its more expensive to use the frejus tunnel but i'd say it were worth it and it will take you approx 2 hours if you go that way. It will also avoid the colls that close if it snows.
ski holidays
snowangel., Do you know if the Snowboard Championships are on during 3 - 10 March?
ski holidays
I did ask the rep why we did not use the Frejus tunnel, although this appeared to be a longer way round it nust have surely been quicker with the bottleneck which is the road to Bourg D'Oisans.... He said he did not know but my guess is it is all about cost. There was I suppose the alternative of via Gap, even longer way round but at least we would have been moving....... we normally drive but size of car V size of 3 teenage boys now precludes this..... Interestingly at 7.30am yesterday morning they were already queueing into Bourg for about 5km's, although I noted that they are trying it would appear to build a bypass, does anyone know when this is likely to be finished?

Since writing this morning I have been told that the driver on the way back had a couple of narrow escapes on the way down from the Lauteret, involving coaches coming the other way on the narrow sections and almot removing the side of a car going through La Grave ( I do remember the first which was by the 2 Alpes turn off but busy catching sick at the time!!
snow conditions
RDSpearing, there was a diversion around the back of Bourg d'Oisans when we were last through in January. I would also make a complaint to the tour op regarding the dangerous driving of the coach driver.
snow report
I did make a verbal complaint at the time to the rep and will follow this up with an email.It is strange that 4 kids, all over the age of 10 so therefore less prone to sickness were sick and the rep also admitted to feeling the same.
My view was that 2.25 hours for that journey ( about 140km ) is far too quick in a full size coach especially as the descent down toward Grenoble on the Lauteret is far more dangerous than that towards Serre Che. When you bear in mind that it was mostly completed in the half light of the dawn, makes it doubly bad in my view......

It says it is 3 hours in the Inghams brochure and brochure transfer times must be calculated based on some facts and relative experiences!!
ski holidays
RDSpearing, most definitely too fast. We did the same journey from Monetier in January, and it was around 2.5hrs in a car to the turnoff for the airport, and there wasn't any traffic, and good driving conditions, and for once we weren't caught behind any slow vehicles.
ski holidays
Quote:

most definitely too fast. We did the same journey from Monetier in January, and it was around 2.5hrs in a car to the turnoff for the airport, and there wasn't any traffic, and good driving conditions

Blimey he must have been tanking it, its a good 15 mins along the long straight road from the autoroute to the airport on top of that and you started 10 mins closer as well!!!
I did note that on the way up from Villeunuve to the Col he was keeping up with a Dutch car ( Peugeot 607 ) and the Dutch are not exactly known for their slow driving!!!
At that point the 6.15am pick up took its toll and I had a doze, no wonder they now say you must wear your seatbelt when in a coach in France!!!

The coach firm were local ( La Roche De Ferme ) based so I suppose he would have known the road very well !!!!!

It would be interesting to get a look at his tacho for the day...........
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, i've just asked my son and he dont know, but was very interested! But he rides with the club here so i thought he would have known! I'll try and find out!.

now re this timing from grenoble to serre che. It takes me on a good day 2.25 hours to the airport from my house which is 10 to 15 mins past monetier. It takes 30 mins from La Grave, 45 mins from the Dam (2 alpes turning) and 1 hour from Bourg (do you think i may have done this journey a few to many times??? lol

the frejus is many more miles and the tunnel is very expensive but because the roads are faster its quicker. It took me 2.25 hours in the summer inc 2 stops (one for petrol and one for money) to get to my son in hospital, i was very impressed!

I would think that the coach firm would do the cheapest and shortest route.

Incidentally, (i've not done it since november so i dont know if its finished yet) but they are building a by pass road to bypass bourg and the next village (or two) down, which should make things a little easier.

To be honest if you asked me where to fly to to get here i would always tell you to come to Turin as the road is so much better. Marseille is another option. I always tell people to avoid grenoble/chambery/lyon like the plague due to the problems when it snows massively.

I hope you guys get a clear run through
ski holidays
snowangel. There was a bypass round one of the villages closer to Grenoble from Bourg but cannot remember which.
Just for info we stopped at a cafe just as the road straightens between the LDA turn and Bourg ( I remember it for the sign which said English and Italian spoke). On the uphill side of the road, to clean the coach up. We stopped there at 7.20 having left Villenuvue at 6.15am. The sign said 54 kms to Grenoble. I reckon we were about half way to Grenoble at this point??? therefore the coach was averaging about 55km/h Shock

I am just glad that it was not icy or snowing Evil or Very Mad
latest report
RDSpearing, yeh that does sound a bit scary, but to be honest i'm normally going 70+ on them roads

thats km not miles!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel. wrote:
RDSpearing, yeh that does sound a bit scary, but to be honest i'm normally going 70+ on them roads

thats km not miles!

Hey 55km/hr is not that fast as an average but your timings are in a car I assume not a fully loaded 52 seat coach which will not go through the tunnels with anything coming the other way and is not limited to 100kms on the motorway either.........

Not only that but a car should accelerate quicker and be more stable in the corners than any coach ever could or should be driven!

Every other coach transfer I have been on has resulted in a huge jam forming behind it sometimes I have been in that queue bemoaning the coaches lack of performance on the mountain roads. Maybe it was a Porsche coach!!!

But hey we had a great holiday and would definately recommend the resort to anyone who asked, although next time I would look to go via Turin but the package we booked did not offer this although Inghams do fly to Turin for their Italian resorts, most other big operators appear to offer this as opposed to a French airport.........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy