Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the deal with 6-day lift/ski hire for 7 day ski packages?

Poster: A snowHead
Ridha wrote:

For next time anyone know of a ski package where u leave Friday evening and return the next weekend on Sunday evening? 6 days become 9 for same amount of time of work.

With snowcoach you travel Friday night, arriving early Saturday morning so at least a half-day's skiing day 1. Departure isn't till evening on Saturday (Day 8 ) so you can ski all day on almost-empty slopes that day too. Overnight coach travel is a PITA but it's a good way to maximise slope-time.

I've only ever done one package - Crystal to Les Arcs 3 years ago. Despite leaving Stansted at about 8am, it was 9.30pm when we arrived in resort - delays at every stage of the journey but nobody seemed to think it was anything out of the ordinary so I guess it's what you should expect.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ridha wrote:

For next time anyone know of a ski package where u leave Friday evening and return the next weekend on Sunday evening? 6 days become 9 for same amount of time of work.

We did that DIY a few weeks back. Cheap flight out on the Fri afternoon (Manchester to Salzburg), minibus transfer direct to Saalbach (€99 for the 6 of us) returning the following Sunday evening so we got to ski 9 days for the cost of 6 days off work. We took advantage of the 9 day trip by splitting it into 6 days in Saalbach and then moved on to Zell am Zee for the last 3 days.

Unless you go to one of the custom package providers I doubt you'll be able to get anywhere near that degree of flexibility with a tour op.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ridha, it's going to be difficult to find a conventional package in Europe which will give you what you want. The TO would be left trying to sell a Sunday night to Thursday night package, not easy. You'd have to do it yourself, and even then in some resorts at some times it would be difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel or apartment (as opposed to a B&B) which would give you other than Sat to Sat (or Sun to Sun), although it should be possible (especially if you're prepare to throw money at it). If you don't fancy DIY, I'm sure that there are TOs who will put together 'bespoke' packages, for a price.

In N.America, 10/11 day packages are readily available (Wed to Sat usually), but that doesn't make the most efficient use of your time off. In N.America, it seems easier to arrange a hol of any length through a TO (United Vacations, for example, offer that).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ridha, it is honestly quite easy to sort out your own flights and accommodation. There's loads of people on here who are now 'expert' at it, and will offer you loads of advice.
Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spindrift wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Ridha, not everyone wants to ski on the first afternoon, beginners for example. Also ski school starts on the following morning. You will just need to buy yourself a pass for the first afternoon. MY advice would be not to buy the ski package from the tour operator, and sort your own out. Don't forget, although you arrive in the airport at 9.30am, you'll be hanging round waiting for your skis for ages, then waiting on the coach for the next (possibly) delayed flight. You may not leave the airport for a couple of hours after landing like you say. It might snow and take three hours to get to resort. These are all valid reasons for to's not offering 7 day packages.

Sorry to enter this thread a bit late, but by not considering buying stuff through a tour operator you're potentially missing out on huge savings. You're providing a lot of misguided and ill informed infromation here. You're not always going to wait for ages for skis and it's rare for the major tour ops to double up transfers.

I get the impression that you don't like tour operators in general, possibly linked to the fact that you appear to run your own chalet. Don't forget that tour ops make skiing affordable for everyone.

Hmmm. There may be occasions when TOs offer 'huge savings', but I've never found them. You're tied to the TOs choice of hire shop, which may be inconvenient or not very good. If the TO is getting a 'good deal' from the hire shop, they're unlikely to be getting the best kit. You're almost bound to be turning up at the shop when a lot of other people are (all the people from your flight and the other flights on your transfer, for a start), so you'll have to wait. Most hotels have a deal with a hire shop. Same with passes; I've always managed to get better deals, sometimes much better, myself, either on line or in the resort, than the TO offered, to the great annoyance of the TO rep (in N.America - I doubt that there are good deals to be had from anyone in Europe). TO packages may be useful for people who want to do as little as possible themselves, which is fine, but my experience is that they are not necessarily a good deal financially.

FWIW, I don't much like TOs, and I don't have my own chalet, more's the pity. A lot of their faults are not entirely of their own making - if people pressurise companies into charging rock bottom prices, there's no point in them complaining if they get rock bottom service, which is how the large TOs seem to work. Nevertheless, the fact is that you can often (usually, I'd guess) do a DIY hol cheaper and better than a TO. They introduce mistakes into bookings and are often intransigent in dealing with their own or their customers' errors. They provide reps and other staff who are at best barely competent at what they do and are apparently under pressure to flog the TO's packages of 'entertainment' and so on. I realise that my comments don't apply to all TOs or to all their staff (if you are one of them, spindrift, I'm sure that you are an exception to the rule), but I struggle to see what a TO can offer someone skiing in Europe (in N.America, I ve been unable to beat TOs on price at the school hol times when we have to go).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-02-07 19:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spindrift, I have been on both package holidays and gone the independent way too and, as far as our trips to Whistler are concerned, I will book independently every time now as I get the flexibilty I want for cheaper.

As for not doubling up on transfers? For quite a number of years there was a group of us who would go on a package holiday to somewhere in Europe. We were split into 2 camps - one flew from Gatwick, the other from Manchester. We practically ALWAYS ended up on the same transfer bus and usually one lot had had to wait for the other.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
janette,
Quote:

Some resorts allow you to use the 6 day pass on the afternoon of your first day as well as the six days.

which ones ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith, Verbier, for one.

You can get multi day passes from 3PM on the previous day, and they are immediately valid.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a note to support the buy in resort not from tour ops argument. I have never had any savings from buying from tour ops and have often found savings in resort.

Also, tour ops might originally have made skiing affordable to the masses back in the 80s, but now, it's more or less the most expensive way to go unless you have a half price last minute deal. I always price up a DIY deal and a tour op deal and have never found the tour op to be cheapest.

E.g. tour op trip to Ischgl, starts at around £500 basic for B&B accom and flights and transfers. We did a DIY last year to Ischgl and paid the same price but it included our liftpasses and privat taxi transfers.

This year, Kitzbuhel at Christmas DIY price £700 for 3* hotel including car hire and ski pass. Tour op price for the same hotel for the same week was £900.

I have numerous other examples but I won't bore you.

And I have also always had to wait at Salzburg or Innsbruck for other flights to board our bus.

Anyway, back to the piste...

Happy sliding
D
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yer pays yer money you takes yer chance! In minor defence of the TO's (and only minor!) they do serve a purpose. I've gone through both routes, though of late have tended to DIY. If you know in plenty of time when you want to go then great, cheap flights on-line and plenty of time to search around for the best deal etc, but there have been many times where I have had 6 weeks or less acknowledgement of my leave and by that time a lot of the routes for saving money are gone. At this point you can pay the brochure price - which doesnt go up just because there are only a few places left, or, you can hold out and take a last minute deal if you arent too proud about destination. But that is It! (and just to add my experiences of coach transfers - yes you wait for another flight or you wait for the one person who has lost their bag or you wait for the Rep to get the head count right!! - four in a hire car is generally quicker and easier [ & even I can count to 4])

We buy our own lift passes in resort and have our own kit, this means that we have been able to ski on the first afternoon both with TOs (Inghams -Flaine 1.5hrs skiing) and DIY - (Valmorel 3hrs skiing). The reasons for the TO's ofering the Sat-Sat packages have been well covered. They come up with an economy of scale and flog it hard. In my experience you tend to get what you pay for. as has been said if you take the packages off the bus you will all be at the same hire shop queing for the same kit. A reasonable compromise I found when hiring was to book online direct with the shop.

PS FWIW I'm sure you'll find somewhere reaosnable in Mayrhoffen, always avoid the restaurant right on the highstreet easily placed for everything - It will be the most expensive! - Go for a wander, have an explore and have fun!! snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pielot, we hired a car in Canada, rather than take the transfer bus. We arrived almost an hour before they did (unpacked showered and going out for dinner), and they were picked up again ages before we left.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to pitch in - I have only twice managed to ski on the first afternoon when travelling with a TO. The only time I DIYed it, we didn't manage to ski on the first day. Most of it seems to depend on the ski hire shop. If you can get that sorted quickly you can sometimes manage a little skiing. Last year, we arrived in the resort (Alpe D'Huez) pretty early & were hopeful for a little sliding, but the queue in the ski hire shop was the worst I've ever seen, so no skiing.

The endless discussion as to whether you are going to manage any skiing helps the long transfer journey go by!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, if you ever go back to Whistler though, check out Whistler Taxi as we paid $205 inc taxes but plus a tip. If there's 4 of you then it works out the same price as the Perimeter coach if you factor in the Allura discount for Perimeter (i.e. about $60 each). The taxi is waiting for you as you leave the airport. Fab! And they provided a child seat for our 3 year old at no extra charge (not that you'll need one of those)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have travelled to the Alps to ski with tour operators flying / coach / train and self drive. The only times we have skiied on the first day on a tour op trip are when we have gone on the snow train arriving early Sat morning or have driven ourselves and let the TO book the accommodation for us. I would not go with a tour operator now unless it was a VERY good last minute deal. For me the much better access to travel and accommodation options given by the internet has removed any need for a tour op.

Things I do not miss from tour operator trips:

Being herded around like cattle by a pimply 'rep'.
Being given the hard sell on lift passes / ski hire / evening entertainment by said rep.
Waiting around at airports / bus stations for ages for no apparent reason.
Tours of all the other accommodation in a big resort like Val Despair or Courchevel before you get to yours.
Charter flights at ridiculous times and interminably long bus transfers.

For me now it is always independently arranged accommodation and train / self drive / fly and hire a car travel depending on location.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geetee, this was Banff, but we did use a hire car in Whistler too. It wasn't really necessary though.
ski holidays
Last year we went to Alpe d'Huez with TO (Thomson) - early flight into Grenoble and short (90 min) transfer to resort, arrived by midday, on slopes by 1pm.

Another way to extend skiing time is to use the overnight snow train from Calais - did this a few times in the 90's, don't know what it's like now but back then you typically saved £20 pp on the basic flight price and arrived at resort approx 10am on Sat, then left approx 3pm following Sat, best part of 8 days sliding.

Most major tour ops used to use the snow train, not sure who does now. But be warned, the disco carriage isn't all it's cracked up to be !
ski holidays
sazza42 wrote:
Just to pitch in - I have only twice managed to ski on the first afternoon when travelling with a TO. The only time I DIYed it, we didn't manage to ski on the first day. Most of it seems to depend on the ski hire shop. If you can get that sorted quickly you can sometimes manage a little skiing.

That is where you really gain by having your own equipment snowHead

Last year in Campitello, it was 3:15 before we arrived in resort, but I still got an hour and a half skiing, for 10 Euros extra on the lift pass (leass that half of what an hour in Xscape would have cost). If I had been hiring gear, I wouldn't have got to ski at all that day.
latest report
Trenmold wrote:
I have travelled to the Alps to ski with tour operators flying / coach / train and self drive. The only times we have skiied on the first day on a tour op trip are when we have gone on the snow train arriving early Sat morning or have driven ourselves and let the TO book the accommodation for us. I would not go with a tour operator now unless it was a VERY good last minute deal. For me the much better access to travel and accommodation options given by the internet has removed any need for a tour op.

Things I do not miss from tour operator trips:

Being herded around like cattle by a pimply 'rep'.

Never happened to me

Quote:
Being given the hard sell on lift passes / ski hire / evening entertainment by said rep.

Never happened to me

Quote:
Waiting around at airports / bus stations for ages for no apparent reason.

OK, that one has Mad

Quote:
Tours of all the other accommodation in a big resort like Val Despair or Courchevel before you get to yours.

So don't go to the big resorts wink

Quote:
Charter flights at ridiculous times and interminably long bus transfers.

That is more a factor of where you choose to go than down to the TO.

Quote:

For me now it is always independently arranged accommodation and train / self drive / fly and hire a car travel depending on location.

there are benefits to going with a TO, and there are benefits to doing it yourself. Oddly, I will usually DIY for a summer holidy, but haven't yet done so for a ski holiday. Partly because I always go by myself for skiing, and going with a TO tends to give you a ready made group, particularly if you pick a resort with some guiding.

Having found SH, I'm probably more likely to DIY for a future ski holiday too, although there is no way I could have beaten the price I got for this year's trip.
ski holidays
I can only offer you my experience as a Rep of 4 winters. In every resort I've worked in we have provided passes, and usually equipment and tuition, at a lower price than the resort. This may not be the case in all resorts but by making a blanket statement that you should avoid buying from tour operators, without checking the figures first, then you are providing misguided information. Also, there is nothing to stop you paying in local currency, either in cash or on a card.

I'm sorry you have had bad experiences but don't stereotype us all.

PS I have great skin
ski holidays
You're all so negative, hire your skis in England and pick them up before you go from the airport. (For Gatwick see www.edge2edge.co.uk) It will cost you a little more, (£70 for skis for 12 days) and £20 for the airplane. When you arrive all you have to do it dump your stuff in the hotel, get dressed and walk to the nearest ticket office. Shouldn't be more than €20 for the afternoon and if it's more, WHO CARES! Think about being sat at your bloody desk in the office and what you would give to be able to ski for 2-3 hrs! I bet it would easily be worth £100. Do whatever you can to get out there as soon as possible and when your sat on that chairlift at 3pm, take a deep breath and just try wiping that big grin off your face, I bet you can't!
snow conditions
PowderHunter, I'm not sure that the tone is too negative! - But the question as to whether or not you get to ski on the first day (which has kind of developed from the topic title ..but hey!), I think has been answered in quite a level way. i.e. Dont expect too much slope time on transfer day if you use a tour op. But if you're prepared, then you might get more than you expected. Use a different hire shop - quicker, take your own kit [hired or bought] - quickest. Tour Ops serve their purpose but for the absolute gold plated experience do it yourself or go to an expensive TO/agent. Very Happy

There... happiness reigns! snowHead
snow conditions
Hey guys, just checking back in as i got back from Mayrhofen this morning waaaah! But good news, i did get to ski for a good 2.5 hours the first day, which may not be alot but i think makes a great deal of difference as 1. it means the next day u don't have to ease yourself in/wait to get your ski legs, and 2. it's psychologically sooo much more satisfying to think u got 7 good days out of it, and skiied for every day - albeit for varying times - of the holiday.

We didn't wait too long at the airport - we were sitting in the coach for about 40 minutes, but that was because my boyfriend and i got our luggage literally within 5 mins (a first in itself). I don't think we were waiting for other flights though (having heard what u guys warned about that i did actually email my travel operator and say this was something i had heard, and he emailed back to deny it and say it was just our flight, and that the general aim is the coach leaving the airport within 30 minutes. So at least if we had waited unduly long and it had turned that this had been partly due to another flight, i would have had his sales pitch assurance in black and white to get some compensation muahaha). We also made good time driving to the resort. It was frustrating that our guesthouse was the last on the route in the village, and that on top of that there were some problems the others had with taxis not being at the drop-off point so the coach waited while the Inghams rep sorted that out. So yeh, all in all, probably lost 1 hour due to those problems which was annoying, but all in all by the time we got our ski hire and pass we were in the cable car by 1.45 p.m. (paid 20 euros more for the 7 day lift pass) and skiied till 4.30.
latest report
Ridha, Well done! You're right - it's great to ski on the first day, even if only for a couple of hours.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy