Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Dobermann SL-R - the Mutt's Nuts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Regular readers of this column will have noticed my unholy penchant for long skinny skis and an unhealthy desire for challenging on-piste skis. Also an unusual aborrence of ridiculously over-fat skis.

Anyway, a variety of influences converged on Saturday: influences of drink (long lunch including a bit of an impromptu wine tasting), thrift (I think (hope) they were something of a bargain) and scarcity (these things are allegedly not that easy to find).

And I found myself parting with hard earned €s to acquire a pair of these Dobermann things.

Saturday night then involved a fair degree of anticipation - would I like them? - would they like me? - would Sophie like them if I didn't so I could pass them over? ( - I think it's been 20 years since I last bought a pair of skis without testing them first).

However, these are apparently the "full on" FIS race department slalom ski, hard to find (according to Luca, and at least as far as Italy goes), discounted, and came with the WC Vist plates and some slightly softer than normal bindings (as I'm a lightweight). So I don't think it was the most stupid decision I have taken.

Anyway...

Whooo Hooo!

Outrageous edge grip. Totally unshakeable. Turn faster than a labour PM questioned about the NY honours list. Just lovely!! (Phew!!).

Nothing bad to say about them - although I am not finding (in a short evaluation) that I'm getting explosive rebound out of turns. This may well be down to pilot error.

While they do require a little bit of input - they really do reward that effort ...

...and so far I haven't got anywhere close to "11" on the speed scale...

So. Exactly what we want on piste...how do we reckon they'll handle the soft stuff? wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, Good choice of ski, I tested them last year, albeit indoor. Found them superbly responsive, need to be worked a little, but the reward is one big smile.

If you get bored or fed up with them, I'll take them off your hands.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Are they the black 'un's? If so I think I had a spin on them at the EB ski test with srobbo. I'll give you a fiver more than Steve offers wink. BTW they might need a bit of input from you but they ski pretty easily for fat gits Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, the black 'uns indeed with a yellow "R" after the SL. Also big letters "World cup" down the plate.

I was a little surprised that they're (IMHO) dead easy to ski on. But they really, really give the impression that they want a piste empty of anything but gates and then to be given their head.

As Sophie said, a bit like riding a feisty thoroughbred.

Most excellent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, Dot hey have side cut- R&Dn, Radius R&D? If so, yes they are the mutts nutts my boy. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh boy, yes they do indeed.

I reckon 60mm under foot.

Can't wait to get them in the powder up the Grands Montets on Saturday - woo hoo!

They are powder skis aren't they?

The guy in the long coat said they were real all mountain skis...he had a nice collection of watches for sale too...I should maybe have bought one
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pics please of you in the steep and deep with 'em Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
They are powder skis aren't they?

Yes, hence the name.
S - soft snow
L - light & fluffy
R - really deep powder

From what I remember, they were based on the Salomon Pocket Rocket, but with a bit less stiffness.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, that'd be right, which is why they're so easy to ski and can hardly hold an edge on the hard stuff.

kitenski, mate, if I 1. remember and 2. there's any soft stuff left - I will most certainly send you an action shot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy