Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Fly Rail Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had recent experience with this?

We did it in the summer about 10 years ago and our cases arrived in Grindlewald before we did. However for this years trip to Wengen there is a note in the documents that the luggage might not arrive until the next day!
With the changes to BA's baggage policy this is causing us to wonder what to try to take as hand baggage(complete skiing kit!) and what to check in for the Fly Rail bags.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never had a problem with it to Wengen, ever. I think it depends on the time of your flight to be honest - guess they have to cover themselves just in case your flight is delayed. If you are getting a flight that means you get to the village on the last possible train I guess it'd pay to take the baggage yourself. But on any normal flight which allowed you to get to the village late afternoon / early evening I very much doubt there'd be a problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
janette, I think you are supposed to allow for two to 4 hours on top of regular travel times, also Wengen Luggage office shuts arround 8 or 8.30 pm so if you think your luggage can make it to Wengen by then use the Fly Rail system otherwise either take the luggage on the train (there's always plenty of luggage space) or take an overnight bag with you and anticipate your luggage being in the hotel by arround breakfast time
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janette, Did it the week before last.

I flew Swiss. I was not aware fly/rail was available with BA flights.

You may like to note there is now a green plastic tag for fly/rail baggage. A customs declaration goes into this along with the pre-printed destination tag. Destination tag only shows the town. I would add more details to speed delivery.

You get a ticket stub which is used to collect your luggage. Hand that to the hotel reception, if you are staying in a hotel, and they will retrieve the bag.

I have never arrived before the luggage. It normally turns up in the evening.

On the return leg, I handed the ticket and my flight details to the hotel reception on the departure morning and they came back with my flight seat and relevant paperwork for the luggage.

At Davos, Grindelwald etc. I used to check the return luggage in at the railway station itself.

There was always a possibility that the luggage could be delayed till the following morning.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

On the return leg, I handed the ticket and my flight details to the hotel reception on the departure morning and they came back with my flight seat and relevant paperwork for the luggage.

What time is your flight home usually?

Just worrying what would happen if the luggage miss the flight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, It is the evening about 8pm.

If luggage misses the flight, or it gets mislaid (which has happened to me with skis) the airlines deliver it to your house.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As long as your flight arrives into Zurich/Geneva by 1pm it will be fine. If you arrive after that time it 'might' turn up the same day or tomorrow morning .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, we have an early flight to Zurich so I'll hope that the luggage will make it. Will pack sallys etc in boot bags and wear jackets so we could cope if luggage fails to appear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
janette, honest,i have been doing it for years and never has the luggage not arrived the same day...as long as your flight arrives before 1pm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris,
Thanks for the reassurance, flight arrives at 11.45, was just getting worried by the disclaimer. We were impressed with the Swiss efficiency when we did the summer trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
janette, that time is fine so ir should be fine.I would be more concerned that the luggage is onboard your flight Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
janette, we fly with Swiss from Birmingham to Zurich (for Wengen) and our luggage has always arrived that same evening. Returning home, our flight is an early one, so we take our luggage the night before to the train station, check it in and receive our boarding card for the flight home. Painless snowHead
Travelling by train from Zurich to Wengen is always a joy, but with no skis, boot bags or cases to worry about, it's bloody marvelous snowHead snowHead

Welcome to Snowheads
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris,
Given BA's recent luggage problems that is a point.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janette, We did it last week and all was fine, our luggage arrived in the evening but our rep got confused and didn't think we had fly luggage so the Hotel staff sent it back to the Train Station. We querried our missing luggage in the morning, and the Hotel Staff immediately sent for it. The Hotel staff were a little confused about documentation for the return journey, but managed to sort it eventually. Our TO was Swiss Travel, and we flew with BA from Heathrow to Zurich and on thn by rail to Murren, all went smoothly.

Hand baggage is only 6KG I believe, but you are allowed more than one piece of Hold luggage up to 23KG. We packed a medium sized suitcase each for the Fly/Rail luggage and our bootbags (which go free with BA) with boots, all our ski gear and overnight requirements for the non Fly Rail luggage, and we just had the usual small backpack each for handluggage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, did you eat in the main Hotel restaurant when you stayed there ?
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, NOT the A la Carte.
snow report
IncogSkiSno, so you meet/saw Holger at lunch then
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, yeah met Holger at Dinner and in the bar - nice guy!
snow report
Hes a good egg !
ski holidays
Anyone have any more recent experiences of this? Sounds great, but I wonder if things have changed since these 2007 posts?

In the apparently remote chance that it doesn't arrive on Saturday PM (plane lands at 1210, so should be fine), what time does the train station open on Sunday morning? Basically, can I get my boots and skis before 1st lift?

Or perhaps no-one knows cos it's never happened?

Thanks!
ski holidays
awf, which airline and resort re you going to?

I can only give you feeback using flyrail from Geneva to Murren which we use every year.

We have used it 15+ times flying in from Gatwick to Geneva or Zurich with BA and arriving between 12-1pm. Everytime our luggage has arrived that evening and never the next day but....... wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-11-12 8:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Fly rail is brilliant, and well worth it. There should be no problem whatsoever with your early flight. One tip: please label your luggage VERY clearly with your hotel name as well. I spent the first 4 days of one holiday without my luggage, as an over-enthusiastic porter from one of the Wengen hotels had lumped it in with a load of bags for that hotel sitting at the station. It sat unclaimed at the hotel for 4 days then they brought it back to the station. My fault for only having the fly rail label on it. Embarassed
latest report
ps wengen station opens at 5:30am, both the ticket counters and luggage office.
snow report
Thanks Chris Brookes, I love the fact that the same names are on the bumped thread 5 years later. Certainly lends authority to the answers! We're flying Birmingham to Zurich, then to Wengen, so it seems a well-trodden route, certainly so on the Swiss side.

And thanks, ksscott, for the hotel name tip, sounds like something one might easily otherwise forget....
snow report
I could be wrong but if you are flying in from Birmingham with Flybe you have to collect your luggage from the airport and then take it to the train station and book the luggage in ??
snow report
Note that Wengen rail station luggage pickup closes at 19:40 (or at least it did last week).

My skis didn't arrive until the following morning, but there was no problem picking them up at the station at 0745, indeed it saved me carting them back down from the hotel to the lockers I was using near the cable car...
ski holidays
Also note that although it's a real pain to add extra bags on the way out, it's a doddle on the return journey. We had 3 on the outbound, and 6 (plus free ski bag) on the return. Luggage allowances get pooled automatically (they ask you to put all bags on the giant scales at the same time).

You *do* need all travellers' passports when taking the bags to the station the night before returning, because it's actually airline checkin at the station.
snow report
Oh, and staying at the Belvedere, the bags arrived in our room. Nice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy