Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shorten skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to shorten a pair of skis? I'm just thinking, if I shorten the 170cm Crossmax V12 to about 155cm they might be quite nice for Mrs M.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably easier to stretch her arms and legs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose a bit more weight would help - she's only about 55kg. I keep trying to feed her up tell her she should could do with getting a bit of meat in her but she's having none of it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A hacksaw should do the trick. With a careful bit of filing, I'm sure no one would know the difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
petemillis,

I think you have to be reasonable and fair about this. Offer her the opportunity to grow ca 15cm before your next holiday or you are going to take a taller woman skiing with you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would suggest you remove a bit from the middle of the ski otherwise you will knacker it. Just glue it back together with some super glue and it should be great wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, I was thinking about the taller woman thing. Sort of thought it would be handy if the wife and I took a nanny/chlidminder with us to look after the kids so we can go out of an evening. I've got a nice tall one in mind. An extra benefit would be that if Mrs M decides she still doesn't like too much skiing then she can run around after the kids during the day while I entertain the nanny/childminder by showing her the ropes.
Snowy, that's what I had in mind to shorten the skis, but I wasn't sure how much to take off from each end - I still need to keep some of the curved tip. Then I thought about chopping out the middle as suggested by daehwons,. I'm wondering if it might be worth rivetting a bit of scrap steel plate over the cut and placing the binding on top. This should work quite well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petemillis wrote:
Then I thought about chopping out the middle as suggested by daehwons,. I'm wondering if it might be worth rivetting a bit of scrap steel plate over the cut and placing the binding on top. This should work quite well.

So you'd be using a Neox binding then? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't you just get her to carry a 30kg pack on her back so the skis will flex properly. Think how many sandwiches you could get in there.
I'm sure she'd soon get used to it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hellfiresliding wrote:
Can't you just get her to carry a 30kg pack on her back so the skis will flex properly. Think how many sandwiches you could get in there.
I'm sure she'd soon get used to it.

Or one of those beer pump back packs that they use at gigs to help with the queues at the bar?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, good thinking, but there'd be a gradual transfer of weight from Mrs petemillis to petemillis over the course of the day, which could cause problems for both. Mrs petemillis could end up compensating by carrying petemillis for the final hour or two of the day. I'd be worried that she might find herself sitting back a bit in that situation.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 12-02-07 18:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis wrote:
DB, daehwons,. I'm wondering if it might be worth rivetting a bit of scrap steel plate over the cut and placing the binding on top. This should work quite well.

not too thick steel though otherwise the flex of the ski won't be as good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obviously it's no good to just chop 15cm off one end of the ski, and a join in the middle wouldn't be too clever either, so ...

Saw 7.5 cm off each end, radius off the new tip with a belt sander, whack some gaffer tape over the raw edges (gotta protect the core from absorbing moisture) and off you go. Perfectly balanced shorter skis with proper sidecut. No faffing about with remounting the bindings either.

Alternatively petemillis, just come clean to the OH and admit you are now the proud owner of two pairs of skis. You'll still have a choice of skis to use long after the anger has gone away wink ; well you will as long as she doesn't wrap one set of them around your head.

Jon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond wrote:
Kramer, good thinking, but there'd be a gradual transfer of weight from Mrs petemillis to petemillis over the course of the day, which could cause problems for both. Mrs petemillis could end up compensating by carrying petemillis for the final hour or two of the day. I'd be worried that she might find herself sitting back a bit in that situation.

As long as she cradled him in her arms, rather than give him a piggy back, her weight should be well forward, and her tips engaged. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
petemillis it seems to me that there are two vital questions that you need to be asking yourself.
latest report
hellfiresliding wrote:
Can't you just get her to carry a 30kg pack on her back so the skis will flex roperly...

She needs a pack that size for Pete's wallet as he obviously never spends anything wink
ski holidays
Kramer, I'm trying to think of the two vital questions!
I quite like the idea of the breast pump thing you mentioned, and about her tits being engaged - this would save having to carry energy drinks and cereal bars as well.
jmdohanlon, I'm thinking about coming clean and just under-exagerating the cost of the skis by applying the formula:

declared total cost = actual cost/x + courier cost

OH knows exactly how much courier costs are so that is a constant, whereas actual cost is a variable. Declared total cost must be less than or equal to £100 for used skis or £200 for new skis (these are the perceived maximum values that OH has for said items). The value "x" is any positive number and is selected such that the declared total cost is that which OH would feel is acceptable for new skis or used skis of a particular condition.
snow report
petemillis,

Tell her it was happy hour so you got 4 skis for the price of 2.
latest report
petemillis, the two questions are

"Am I going to be found out?"

"How angry is she going to be, if she finds out?"
snow report
Kramer wrote:
petemillis, the two questions are

"Am I going to be found out?"

"How angry is she going to be, if she finds out?"

Tricky this -
Am I going to be found out? Well, depends if shs'e here when the courier arrives. If she's not here then I may be able to bluff it an say that they are a pair of my old skis from before we got married 12 years ago that I had stashed in the attic. If she doesn't believe they're old then hopefully she'll believe that I won them, or got them free/cheap (actually they are cheap)

How angry is she going to be, if she finds out? Mmm, depends. If she's angry then I'll sit in silence and rub her feet for hours while watching TV. If I think she's sort of a bit miffed then I'll give her a tenner to get herself a treat. She can take it out of that 30kg stash of money that I refuse to spend (I wish - she's got more than me!).

Earlier on this evening she asked if there was anything I really wanted for my 40th on the 24th. Maybe I should just say that I've seen a pair of skis......

I never did mention what I've paid for these Crossmax V12s - well, they're 05/06 model, good condition with minor scratches on top sheet, and they cost me £150 with the bindings, plus delivery (I'll get Initial City-Link to collect as I have an account with them - should be £16). Does what I've paid seem quite reasonable? Razz
snow conditions
petemillis, declared total cost = (actual cost/x + courier cost) could be modified by taking 17.5% VAT from the actual cost variable as this isn't really part of the price of the skis. I'd also like to see some sort of factor which refelcts the gullibility of the intended audience for the deception.
snow conditions
petemillis wrote:
Does what I've paid seem quite reasonable? Razz

Not if they've been used like my old demo ones. Blush Little Angel
snow conditions
comprex, You're getting me worried now. I won't see them till Saturday as he's not there till Friday. He has said that they are in very good condition aside from some scratches on the top sheet. Am I right in thinking that the V12s are wood core, whereas the GC Equipe is foam? Or is it only the 07 V12 that's wood? Wonder if I've bought a pair of floppy things.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy