Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vancouver Hotel Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Whistler in March (woo-hoo! Very Happy ), and was going to spend a night in Vancouver before heading over to the resort.

Can anyone advise on nice hotels to stay in, in Vancouver?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how much do you want to spend? Vancouver has plenty of OK but unexciting hotels, but is a bit short of really nice, individual places
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing flash, just somewhere comfortable. I was thinking a maximum of £100 a night - but if we can get something nice for less, even better.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonflat2, depends what you want to do. i'd have a look on expedia and find what's available. As far as areas are concerned, Robson St is basically downtown. Has lots of shops, restaurants etc. If you want something a bit more interesting check out the Granville Island Hotel. The hotel itself isn't anything unusual (but it's fine) but it's on Granville Island which is full of funky shops, restaurants etc and is right by the water - a spectacular location.
It's pretty easy to get out of Vancouver up to Whistler from both places so long as you avoid the evening rush hour. Morning is OK because you're going against the traffic
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
[The hotel itself isn't anything unusual (but it's fine) but it's on Granville Island which is full of funky shops, restaurants etc
And more importantly the Granville Island brewery!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Okanagan, how could i forget that? maybe something with too much of its fine product... Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm only going to be in Vancouver for a day, is there anything I should make an effort to go and see/do?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonflat2, if the weathers nice, Stanley Park. There's an excellent restaurant there too. (Sequoia Lodge)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonflat2, If you're looking for good value accomodation, I've used the Kingston Hotel and can recommend it.
As regards sites to see, I agree with the others about Stanley Park and Granville Island being good places to visit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jonflat2, the Sylvia Hotel is an old Classic. It's a lovely old building, right on the water at English Bay.
The Raincity Grill, a couple of blocks away is well worth a visit for dinner.

CD.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 12-02-07 19:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A non-obvious choice, but the Fairmont hotel at the airport is simply stunning - one of the best hotel rooms we've ever had.

But only applicable if you just want a bed for the night.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A year ago I got a great deal on:
http://www.hotels.ca/
to stay:
http://hotellesoleil.com/

We paid I think CA$70 for a suite.

I would also highly reccomend:
http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com/

Vancouver is amazing. Things to recommend depend entirely on what you're interested in. The Native American museum at the uni is very interesting. Shopping on Robson Street if you're into shopping. Funkier shopping and cafes on Comm. Ave if that's more your thing. Stanley Park is beutiful, and a few hours in and around Horseshoe Bay is amazing for scenery. Gastown is a tourist trap. Granville Island has a great market.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed at the Victorian Hotel in Vancouver. I liked it -- individual and not at all corporate. It's on the edge of Gastown about 10 mins walk to the heart of downtown. Think it was around CA$120 per night last year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed at the St Regis a couple of years back. Nice enough place and good value.

We have had a couple of very cheery lunches at Cardero's - http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html - really excellent.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton, yes I would agree with that. Also the Fairmont Waterfront is rather nice too. Cool I do like the look of the Granville Island Hotel as well but it looks like they're booked up for March (well they were on Expedia)
snow conditions
We stayed at the fairmont waterfront a few years ago before Whistler.
Has benefits like that superb brewpub round the corner (what better way to stave off your jetlag!)
Cant remember the cost but wasnt expensive as it was included the package to whistler.
ski holidays
prog99, Very Happy yes we visited that brewpub too I seem to remember!
snow report
Here?

http://www.steamworks.com/gastown_index.htm
snow report
We are just back from Whistler and spent a couple of days either side of our time there in Vancouver, which was a good way to break the journey both out and back......especially back since if we had delayed leaving Whistler to the morning of the day of our evening flight we would have missed the plane as there was a landslide on the Sea to Sky highway which shut the road for the whole day. That road (if you dont know) is the only way in/out of Whistler.

Enjoying Vancouver can be weather dependant. When we arrived it was clear blue skies all day, so it was lovely.Nice downtown areas, easily walkable, good waterfront area and Stanley Park etc. Loads of bars/restauarants.....a second vote for the Raincity Grill where we had a lovely meal, but there are loads of others. When we came back it was raining, a lot, which wasnt so nice

We stayed at the Wedgwood which is downtown just off Robson Street (at a pretty amazing price (because it was January) which they may not be repeating). Very central and very good. I would go back, if I could repeat the price !.

I have also stayed at the Fairmont at the Airport (ie it is in the airport so no transfer time at all), excellent rooms and very handy if you fly in late or have to leave early, but they dont seem to do cheap deals much and the Delta at the Airport, much cheaper but not as nice at the Fairmont .

One thing to look out for is that if you are going to Whistler on Perimeter Express, the bus leaves from the Airport, not all buses pick up at Downtown hotels, so you may end up having to go back out to the airport to get your bus (or timing your trip to Whistler to coincide with a downtown pick up).

A taxi from the airport to downtown is about $27 ex tip each way. There is a shuttle bus which does the round trip for $40 , I think
ski holidays
ami in berlin, yes. Happy memories. I seem to recall passing it in the taxi and that was the nights entertainment decided straightaway.
snow report
Colin, you can get the Greyhound to Whistler from downtown Vancouver instead though.
latest report
jonflat2, i'd agree with ami in berlin, the websites that she has listed give some great value

i stayed in the Marriott Pinnacle on the first night of our honeymoon and it was stunning - great views of the harbour, fab rooms, the best hotel meal I have ever had and the staff were really nice to us (comp bottle of sparkling wine, flowers and an upgrade !)

so i may be a little biased - it is a good hotel though - www.tripadvisor.com rates it pretty highly! - granville island comes in high up as well...
snow conditions
After boarding on the powder of Whistler I will be staying one night in Vancouver before flying back to Blighty.

Where is the best area to stay in Vancouver to have a good night on the lash ??? Birthday celebration with all the trimmings required !
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
After boarding on the powder of Whistler I will be staying one night in Vancouver before flying back to Blighty.

Where is the best area to stay in Vancouver to have a good night on the lash ??? Birthday celebration with all the trimmings required !

For a night out, it obviously depends on what you’re in to.

Yaletown is very chic. Lots of restaurants, bars and clubs for the software designers of this world. Good shopping in the day if you’re in to independent (and expensive) designers, too.

The area around Granville Street also has a lot going on after dark, although it’s a little young for my taste. It probably has the most dance clubs, though. It can also get a bit seedy if you wander in the wrong direction.

Gastown is dull, touristy and predictable in my opinion, but others will disagree. There is one club, the Purple Onion, that rates pretty highly, though.

Staying anywhere downtown will put you reasonably close to those areas.

Comm Ave (not downtown like the other locations) is more ‘alternative’, and fairly interesting, although there is not a large number of night spots.

I’m sure I’m missing other areas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy