Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer RC4 Race RC length dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, i'm looking at buying a set of these as my hacking around the piste skis but am having some difficulties in deciding what length to go for, it would be good to get some opinions....

I'm 6 1" and 14 stone and a decent skier, i ski off piste whenever possible and use the legend 8000 in either 178 or 184 depending on whats available and find them perfect for off piste and ok on piste, however last trip i hired some Atomic GS9s in 180 for a couple of days and was blown away by the difference in on piste performance and immediately decided i needed a set of dedicated piste ski's for those rare european non powder days Shocked , seriously considered the atomics but various pieces of advice have pushed me towards the fischers as slightly more versatile option.

What kind of length would people recommend in general? I found the atomics fun in 180 but with limited low speed manoeuvrability and a little challenging in any bumps, has anyone skied the Fischers in 175cm?

Thx

Harry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bumping this hopefully...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beakyshark - I don't post much on here (too lazy I'm afraid Embarassed but I lurk quite a bit wink ) Your post is close to a recent dilemma of mine so here goes:

If you're considering the RC4 race RC for piste carving then I would seriously suggest a pair of Fisher RX9 or RX8's as a more versatile alternative.

As far as I can make out the race series are a detuned race ski that's pretty much identical to the RX series. The rough comparison is as I understand it is:

RC race - RX9 - GS ski
SC race - RX8 - Slalom carver ski

The major difference between the RX and race is that the RC's are a smidgen stiffer and have a slightly wider tail = better grip at the end of the turn and more acceleration if you are skilled enough or can be bothered to put the effort in. The downside being that they are more grippy and less amenable to being skidded when you need to slow things down.

For most people the RX's should be the more versatile ski and easier to live with on a daily basis, most (including me) will struggle to out ski it.

However if your looking for a dedicated race ski then these would be fine for starting out - I know a couple of guy's who use them, or if your very good the worldcup models I'm told are superb (be warned they are seriously stiffer and heavier than the race - not for casual nobbing around on!)

I have the RX8 in 165cm which I love. I seriously considered picking up a pair of the RC4 race for dedicated racing but finally decided to pass (the wife is trying to reign in my ski addition wink ). I'm 5'10" 12.5stone so I'm a bit lighter and shorter than you. I prefer shorter radius turns so went for the 165cm, however they're so versatile they'll perform equally well in longer turns. If I was looking for faster speeds in GS gates then I would have gone for the 170 or 175's. So I guess it comes down to how you prefer to ski - for your height I would suggest starting at the 170 for tighter turns and the 175's for longer race speeds - hope this helps
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BG, I demo'd the RX8 and thought they were great, and then bought the Atomic SX9 instead, mainly because of price Sad . Very happy with the Atomics though.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BG thx for your very informative input, i actually went ahead and grabbed a pair of RC4 race rc's in 175 this morning from Ski Bilek as they were too good to miss at the price (£126). As it happens i definitely prefer stiffer ski's and am happy to put the work in so i'm pleased with the decision although now a set of rx8 for those more relaxed days are looking very tempting....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beakyshark wrote:
BG thx for your very informative input, i actually went ahead and grabbed a pair of RC4 race rc's in 175 this morning from Ski Bilek as they were too good to miss at the price (£126). As it happens i definitely prefer stiffer ski's and am happy to put the work in so i'm pleased with the decision although now a set of rx8 for those more relaxed days are looking very tempting....

Good price. I do like ski bilek. I got the fischer AMC 79 for about £110. How do they make money? The RX8 is a fun quick ski. I wouldn't say its a relaxed ski as it copes well with quick piste skiing. Suspect you'll have fun on your skis
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How do they make money?

I know i've been thinking the same but i guess they must. It really makes you wonder what kind of mark ups your high street stores are putting on...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

How do they make money?

No Idea - Very Happy All power to you £126 is an absolute steal for what is a top quality ski - I know your not supposed to care about top sheet graphics but it's nice that the RC4 RC's come in Kick Ass Yellow wink

I bought my RX8's from Ski Bilek - they were fast and efficient absolutely no problems ..... I might take a look at those RC4 SC just to see how cheap they are now.......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beakyshark, Thats a great price when I was looking a little while ago they were going for around £200
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Thats a great price when I was looking a little while ago they were going for around £200 Wed Feb 14, 07 12:26

kevinrhead, I checked the auction records for similar items and between £120-170 seems to be the going rate for the RC4's on ski bilek so i guess i just got lucky to hit the low end of the spread on the auction, sport conrad also have some great deals on fischers and other skis at the moment
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beakyshark wrote:
Quote:

Thats a great price when I was looking a little while ago they were going for around £200 Wed Feb 14, 07 12:26

kevinrhead, I checked the auction records for similar items and between £120-170 seems to be the going rate for the RC4's on ski bilek so i guess i just got lucky to hit the low end of the spread on the auction, sport conrad also have some great deals on fischers and other skis at the moment

I think ski bilek are better for fischers but through ebay auctions. Sport conrad seemd to have really good prices on K2 and Volkl. the mate I'm going skiing with got the Rossi 9s slalom ski for £260 from conrad which seemed a bargain
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beakyshark, Did not look at your description quite closly enough I was looking for the SC. Which also seem to be going for less now in the end brought RX fire for £225
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your 126 looks like a great price and you should love the ski. It's great in all mixed surface conditions.

I got my RC4's World Cup's off the closeout rack at Buckeye Sports in Ohio for 400 dollars with Marker bindings- probably too far for you to travel and they don't eBay. Could have had the Race at the same price. I have the World Cup in a 180 CM rather than the Race but they should ski similarly to your 175's except in deep powder where the 180 will float more. I also have a set of Blizzard race ski's in a 165 and much prefer the RC4 180's in all conditions. Ski'ed Alta, Snowbird last year and found them great in all conditions up to 12 inchs of powder. Didn't try them on bottomless powder (couldn't find any last year) but would definitely rent some wider ski's for powder days.

I agree that you don't relax on these ski but it's usually because you are going so fast. They tend to be on edge rather than skid so they pick up speed faster but I find them very smooth with great control at speed. I can ski bumps with them but it is a lot of work. I'm 5'6" 165lb, former instructor.

Enjoy the ski's.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lotus skier, Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy