Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HEAD Monster iM72 - only long carving turns?

Poster: A snowHead
Was out on my new Monster 72s recently.
Was carving up some of the long blue glacier runs in Solden. I only seem to be able to perform long carving turns on these skis.
Anyone know if this is a characteristic of these skis or is it just my technique? Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To quote Roger the super canadian instructor when I complained about being made to ski tree runs on GS skis....

"versatile skiers can ski any run on any skis"

so yeah - if your technique is good enough you can do it... some skis just are built to make some stuff easier

but then these guys have been skiing since they could walk.....so maybe they are just being mean to me Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you buy a ferrari are you only able to drive at 100mph+ ?

if you buy a range rover are you unable to drive on "b" roads and only off road?

sure some skis are better suited to different terrain and conditions, and i wouldn't choose to ski a iM72 in a slalom race, but i would certainly still be able to ski them in a slalom racecourse!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, I managed to crank out some short turns a couple of weeks ago on a pair of Dynastar 8800's. They've a turning circle of about half a light year IIRC, so it can be done - but you do have to work it a bit; bigger angles and more energy/speed getting your body moving about.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, i havent tried the monster 72s but i dont think they are very different from my monster 70s which seem ok on shorter turns as well as long ones
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess I probbaly need to be taught short carving. I'm fine just putting it into a carve and going from left to right. I can also change direction from left to right quickly but this is not what I call short turns.
Seems to me that short turns have an aggressive short crunch/scrape sound when the edge is against the snow. I suppose you are leaning much more ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'm no expert but to achieve shorter carved turns i think you have to steer the skis round using a fair bit of pressure and not just let them take their natural carve shape......

hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to give you a proper answer!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Short turns usually lower speed so more angulation required to stay balanced - get that angulation of the hip and knee going and more weight on outside ski and you will be able to turn it in a much shorter radius. And rather than moving the body over the skis to change directio, keep the body down the fall line and move the skis under the body as you change direction. Again, I'm certainly no expert - merely saying what works for me. There's a big difference between long carved turns and short turns.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Short radius turns are fine on IM72s. Their sidecut radius is only 15.5 m. I find them perfect for medium radius carving and still pretty strong on both short and long radius turns. Perhaps you just need a bit more time to get used to them. What was your previous ski?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It isn't the ski.... and it isn't a wide ski by any def. These things should turn on a sixpence.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I need to work on my short turns then !
Any recommended exercises?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with JT and uktrailmonster, once I got used to my 78mm waisted planks I could turn them nearly as efficiently as my slalom thingies. Loads of angle and you'll shred anything Toofy Grin I've skied on the M82's and found them fairly stiff and more suited to long turns but they're an extra 10mm wide...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The part I don't get yet is how you can create loads of angle at low speed.
Surely the largest angle you coulkd possibly create is leaning right out over your ski with your outside hand touching the ground.
At high speed, you could create more of an angle as you are leaning more and maybe even touching the snow with your inside hand if you were going that fast.
?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman wrote:
The part I don't get yet is how you can create loads of angle at low speed.

Stand with feet more apart. Now get your hip to move side-to-side wider than your feet.

Quote:

Surely the largest angle you coulkd possibly create is leaning right out over your ski with your outside hand touching the ground.

Inside hand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman, It's a very high end skill to be able to properly carve short radius turns. Most people 'scarve' ie there's an element of steering/skidding for direction & speed control by pivotting the skis. Watch a WC slalom race & you'll see plenty of steering at initiation. Buy the 'Skier's Edge by Ron LeMaster to see superb photo analysis & instruction.

Carving is great fun but does have limited applications due to the speed created. Being able to properly pivot/steer/skid the skis is probably a more useful skill to have than carving ability otherwise steeps, bumps & powder skiing is going to get pretty hairy!
snow report
GordonFreeman,

Short swings or jumps...........old school, but gets you out of heaps. And you find a lot of good new school just can't do them.
snow report
spyerdjon: Thanks, I'll have a read. I do agree that at my level I can only really carve effectively on medium slope terrain (basically blue slopes). It's more skidding turns on the steeps.

comprex: By outside hand, I was referring to the teapot exercise discussed in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24179&highlight=
So, ouside hand goes by knee or foot. Inside hand touches the snow. Biggest angle you can get ?
However, I see how with the feet wider apart but thighs still parallel it could increase.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy