Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tecnica diablo v salomon x-wave opinions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just weighing up my options for a new pair of boots after a little windfall and pretty much trying to decide between these two....or more exactly these two:
tecnica diablo hotform or salomon x-wave 9.
Anyone tried both of them?. I am particularly looking to develop into something over the next few ski weeks but have never in my life had a comfortable pair of boots. In fact my old nordica gp07's saw me through only 2 days in meribel last year before I had to swap them for some salomon sensifit things (one complete mondo bigger!), this year I don't want to have to give my boots a second thought.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Technica has replaceable heel and toe pieces. The Salomon does not. That used to be a Salomon strength.

Technica is a horrible colour ( though I now have a pair ).

I am sure this will not help.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have X Wave 9s and find them superb (they are the gloss black ones from just before they added (removed?) the honeycomb shapes on the side.

Used them for 5 weeks now and find them to be a great fit. I have quite wide feet and Salomon was recommended for this reason.

Bought them quite snug to allow room for the inners to squash but overdid it and had to wear womens tights instead of socks initially (thats my excuse anyway Laughing ).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
Technica is a horrible colour ( though I now have a pair ).

What orange...horrible?...these ones??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re the replaceable heel and toe pieces - whether this is worth considering really depends on how many weeks skiing you intend to get out of the boots. I change boots every 3 years anyway, and at 2 weeks per year skiing, that's only 6 weeks and I haven't managed to wear out heel and toe pieces yet. However, if I ever get chucked out by the OH and find myself having to do seasons in ski resorts then the replaceable bits might be more of a consideration.
I'm skiing XWave 9s (2 yrs old) and love 'em. But I do like the orange of the Tech - just not sure if the shade will clash with the orange of my planks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ollski, The fit is way different between these two boots & I have personal experience of this as I was mis-fitted in to a pair of X-Wave 9 a couple of years ago by EB's & they killed me as they were too narrow.

I was then fitted for a pair of Diablo Fire's by Profeet & they've been superb. IMO the Diablo's are certainly wider in the forefoot than the X-Wave & also have roomier toe box which I like. The Diablo also sizes smaller than the X-Wave as I was in a 28.0 in the X-Wave but my Diablo's are 27.0, both with a 15mm rear shell gap.

The X-Wave 9 is also noticably stiffer than the Diablo Fire. The 9 is probably equivalent to the Diablo Magnesium in flex.

Both are great boots but you should buy what fits your feet & what you can flex, remembering that boots flex easier in a warm shop.

(Edited for typos)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 11-02-07 11:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, I wish you hadn't posted your thoughts on these boots.......I might be forced into spending more money as I'm tempted to go for something with a bit more of a comfort fit in my forefoot area and slightly softer flex. .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did exactly the same thing as spyderjon, with exactly the same boots and went to the same shop. I took them away, they killed my feet, I took them back, had them altered and they now give me little to no trouble at all, apart from a bit of heel lift (1/3 inch) when leaning forward. I'm assuming that all boots do this. Is this right?

I would put the Technica's over the Salomon's every time but my advice is to try both and go with the ones that feel the best. Better still go to Profeet (or a similar QUALITY shop) and buy what they tell you.

I would also say that it is essential to have footbeds custom made.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I now have the Technica Diablo Magnesium from last year (the orange ones) I think this year they have stiffened them up even more and are now red and white - maybe even changed the name. Before this I used the salomon x wave 9s. The technicas are definately stiffer but for me they are a lot more comfortable. They seem to have a fairly wide area for the toes which is good for me. When they fit them you can ask the fitter to keep them a little wider in the toe by putting a little plactic cap round your toes- if you go somewhere good - they shouls know what they are doing. Go to a bootfitter and buy what fits

I would always reccommend getting custom footbeds- for me they really help with comfort.

Good luck and don't worry about the colour- i always seem to end up with orange boots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reused the Conformable custom footbeds from my previous boots.

When I got my skis serviced, I took the boots into Europa Ski Lodge in Surbiton with the Conformable footbeds from the old boots.

The man in the shop trimmed the footbeds slightly and they now work in my new boots, as he had said they would, several years ago, when I originally got the Conformables.

Europa Ski Lodge is a very good shop on their particular ranges. There are no fancy catalogues like Snow & Rock or Ellis Brigham but the staff do not change every season and they know what they are doing. Prices are far more sensible than Snow & Rock too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where is Europa Ski Lodge? I've had some pretty bad experiences with some large UK based shops. You go in for advice and you end up educating the guy who is supposed to be telling you what to buy. I'll definately check out europa
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alltracks Academy, http://www.europaskilodge.co.uk/

They do not sell high end stuff, but they are knowledgeable about gear and will not rip you off.

I think they used to be linked to Sandown dry ski slope, which is a slope I have never used though it is the closest to me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ollski, don't listen to any of these Charlatans.

Decide on the colour you want (Orange, obviously) and buy the cheapest boots you can find in that colour off the internet.

All this boot fitting nonsense is massively over-rated. I've never had a pair of boots that didn't hurt somewhere sometime and it hasn't done me any harm.

But seriously...and all facetiousness aside. Get yourself along to a good boot fitter and simply work with them to the best solution. That may not include either of the boots you mention!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo wrote:
Alltracks Academy, http://www.europaskilodge.co.uk/

They do not sell high end stuff, but they are knowledgeable about gear and will not rip you off.

I think they used to be linked to Sandown dry ski slope, which is a slope I have never used though it is the closest to me.

thanks its not too far from me - i'll check it out cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have x-waves - they feel good enought and (I thought) slightly wider than other boots I tried (LANGE & TECHNICA). I had some issues last year as I buckeled them up too tightly and crushed the nerves in my leg/foot and was therefore unable to feel anything in my foot for a few months. But that was my own fault not the boots.
You do need to get what you feel comfortable in though cause I really wanted the LANGE but they just didn't feel wide enough.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
ollski, don't listen to any of these Charlatans.

Decide on the colour you want (Orange, obviously) and buy the cheapest boots you can find in that colour off the internet.

Thanks for that conformation David, that was exactly my plan!.

I'm shooting over to Lockwoods this morning to buy a comfy pair of beginners boot for mrs o so I may ask them if they have some lurid orange sale items they can manipulate my feet into. wink

Thanks for all the input to all though.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, green is the new orange, trust me. Wink
latest report
I don't mind I live in the past, I'm still saving up for one of those black and yellow north face jackets that scott schmidt et all used to wear back in the days of movies like 'the good the rad and the gnarly'!
snow report
ollski, tried eBay?
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
ollski, tried eBay?

Always had my heart set on a genuine one though Sad ...steeptech weren't they?

Ended up with x-wave 8s by the way, the tecnicas crushed my achilles and also felt too low and forward leaning for me. Fitted my old superform footbeds and currently clunking round the house trying to bed them in. Did end up paying full rrp for two pairs of boots but the selection and fitting lasted about 2.5 hours so reckon it was worth it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy