Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - short break, hotel reccommendations

Poster: A snowHead
I live here year round.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I live here year round

well if you fancy meeting up drop me PM, travel out on 2nd March.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
do you ski?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski and board
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but not at the same time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wrong answer, you mean you used to ski but now board surely? Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well it's getting that way, but can't hang up the old boots just yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now we face a dilemma.

Of the many thousands of hotels I've been in touch with we have two solid offers.

1. Victoria Lauberhorn in Wengen - great location but a bit pricey (for us!) at £80 half board pppn - but with balcony view and access to pool / sauna etc.

2. Oberland hotel in Lauterbrunnen - very resonable at £30 b&b pppn but a bit concerned about convenience, or rather lack of, of staying down in the valley.

What time do the trains start from Lauterbrunnen in the morning ? I guess one advantage maybe you're more likely to get a seat by getting on the train in LB than in Wengen ?

What's the Oberland hotel like ? any expereince ?

Night time ... what's the latest train from Wengen to LB ? Has LB got a few bars, restaurants ?

What would you do ? Not made of cash but prepared to pay the extra if the convenience is really worth it.

Thanks a lot. p.s. webcams starting to look more promising, or is that just deceptive and hopeful ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, given the choice I'd pay the extra for the vici lauberhorn, however you will be fine in Lauterbrunnen, trains up in the morning before it gets light and until arround 11pm at night so few problems there, if there are good conditions being able to get on at Lauterbrunnen means getting a seat, also being down there makes it easy to go to Murren instead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oberland is nice - good people and nice food. Trains start much earlier than you would want - about 6am I think.

Not much to do after dark in Lauterbrunnen. Oberland is probably the nicest place to eat, also the Silberhorn isn't bad. Just one proper 'bar' (Horner). Last train back down from Wengen is about midnight.

I'd stay at the Victoria lauberhorn to be honest. If you stay at Lauterbrunnen you'll really miss the whole Wengen 'thing' (whatever that is!).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry guys, I know I'ma a pita, but what if I were to throw www.wengen.com/hotel/alpenruhe/ into the equation. In Wengen but 7 mins walk from centre (I guess by that they mean the station ?). Good price at £40 ish pppn b&b or £55 h/b.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, depends on weather or not you like long walks, it's downhill to the village center which is a plus in the morning but not so great at night, you need to allow for about £25 pp for a sit down menu at dinner time from most of the hotels, go with the set menu for dinner at a hotel as it's usually far cheaper than a'la carte and arrange it in the morning for that night.

If it came down to Alpenrhue or Oberland I'd probably stay in Lauterbrunnen Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, OK, so you'd take the Victoria over the Oberland, and the Obeland over the Alpenrhue ... I see where this is going !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, not really, I'd suggest the Alpenrose which is about as far from the center as the Alpenrhue but in the other direction and down the hill (which is why I didn't suggest it earlier) Excellent food and accomodation, good staff and a nice but quiet bar with some of the cheapest prices in the village, however it is a bit of a slog up the hill to the center.

If you want convenience and extras like a pool then the Vici should do you nicely, if you want cheap then I'd go for the Oberland in preference to the Alpenrhue
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, I've not stayed in the Oberland, but have friends who have. I often eat there, as they do a two course set meal for around 18CHF. It's pleasant enough.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, thanks for that link. Like the sound of the Oberland but the draw of the Victoria being (relatively) slopeside may just prove too strong. I've decided to leave it up to my pal to decide cause I'm useless.

I understand that come the first weekend in March the conditions will improve dramatically ? Looking at the 80 page Jungfrau topic, one could be forgiven for thinking it isn't worth my effort, is it really very bad out there right now ?
latest report
and the winner is .... the Oberland. Money talks and the fact that we can spend evening time in Wengen swung it.

thanks all for your help.

One final thing, any good ski hire shops in LB, my buddy may want to hire some for a couple of days ?
ski holidays
Quote:
I understand that come the first weekend in March the conditions will improve dramatically ? Looking at the 80 page Jungfrau topic, one could be forgiven for thinking it isn't worth my effort, is it really very bad out there right now ?

No not at all, it isn't perfect and today's rain battered the piste a bit but it is snowing now on top, plus march is ages away.
I guarantee by march nobody will be talking about the poor conditions*.
This is march 7th last year, nobody around, I just kept repeating this line all day, sadly by the next day people had seen my foot prints where you have to hike up and that was the end of that.

There is still a lot of piste that is alright, mannlichen is bullet proof and by far the better slope at the moment, salzegg is also doing ok.
I only whine about it being bad because I like off piste and jumping around like an idiot, piste riding bores me to tears.

Every year it dumps towards the end of the season, normally the biggest fall of the season will be the night the lifts close, hiking time Sad

*But if it does suck in march I accept no responsibilty
ski holidays
masmith, Crystal Sports is right opposite the Oberland.
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking that the best value return ticket from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen is the Swiss Transfer Ticket approx £55 ?
ski holidays
masmith, from Zurich or Geneva the transfer ticket is indeed the best deal
latest report
masmith, best deal as D G Orf states
latest report
ps....it dumped overnight !!!!
snow report
Chris Brookes, and still snowing this morning Laughing
ski holidays
Brian T, the next worry is the Fohn wind this weekend Shocked
latest report
Really looking forward to weekend trip now after much research (and help from you guys). So much so that will use this as an opportunity to check out Wengen as an option for next years family trip at Easter. This would be be March 22nd for a week.

"Typically", does the snow hold out until then, or should I just do the usual easter thing and aim high (sort of hoping to take advantage of an early easter so go somewhere usually out of bounds).

From exp. is this a family friendly place ? Is seems to be ...
snow conditions
masmith, We always go at Easter - the snow is usually great. March 22 is early for Easter so I doubt you'd have any problems. Wengen is totally family friendly - we've been taking our kids for years. It's so small and quiet that the kids can roam around the village and do their own thing. All the restaurants are fine with kids too.
snow conditions
telford_mike, sounds good, do you have a favourite place to stay ? (possibly the Berghaus looking at your previous post)?

Our kids are still too young for their own room so a 4 bedded room will be the order of the day, which may rule out some hotels.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, We always rent an apartment - usually the same one every time if we can get it. Plus another apartment for the kids if they are coming! I do like the Berghaus - very nice family and the food is great. 9 of us went for dinner last month and they couldn't have been nicer - nothing was too much trouble.

Best hotel for youngsters though is the Sunstar as they have a proper kids room with games etc, and separate dining arrangements for little ones. They seem to be more 'switched-on' to families than the other hotels. They have family rooms too so the Sunstar might be ideal for you.
ski holidays
Guys, many thanks for all your help. I know a lot more about Wengen and the region than I did this time last week. Mother nature has called us to change our minds for next weekend, what with things not looking quite so rosy. So we're back to plan A (the Arlberg). We'll have to flit from one hotel to the other as nowhere has space for the full 3 nights, but hey, it could be worse ...

good luck to everyone out there, I truly hope that Chris Brookes and telford_mike can make the most of it (and anyone else I may not have mentioned).
snow conditions
masmith, thanks.

The good news is snow is forecasted for the weekend with a good FL so fingers crossed its a huge dump and if not ....we will make the most of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy