Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Metron v Salomon Xscream

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of xscreams but after the advice of some on here have hired Metrons for my two holidays this year. I've found them to be really good and may buy a pair but what is puzzling .is the first pair I hired were 157cms I was advised the next time to have 165cmsat the end of the month and .

I've just dug out the Salomons to go away at the end of the month and found that they are 179cms!

Is this variation right? Is it due to the different ski shapes?

The Metrons felt a bit more responsive but I do like both.

I'm 5' 8" and 15 stone.

What would you think is the right size?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jack Hallam, From one Metron fan to another:

What model Metron(s) have you skied?

Metron's are designed to be skied short, well apart from maybe the superb M:EX which isn't really a Metron in the true sense. If it's the either the B5 or the M11 then a 162 would be perfect for you.

Atomic have what they call a Metron Sizing Chart from which you calculate your ski length based upon your weight, ability & turn preference. Trust the chart it really does work. Everyone I know who's not followed the chart ends up on too long a ski & I've even known Atomic staff (at the PSB 05) recommend too long a ski. If you end up as a 'tweener' it's usually best to go shorter.

Don't be afraid of going right up the model ladder. Yes the top end B5 is stiff but will suit a parallel red runner with aspirations. I'm 5'9" & 15 stone & the 162 B5 was perfect for me. Pity but I've just sold mine for a bargain price as well. The old model M11 was changed to the M11B5 for the 06/07 season. The M11 was a superb ski & if you scout around you should be able to find a pair of 162's at a bargain price.

When you get them have the bindings set on the forward position as this works best for the vast majority of owners although stores always want to set them on the central position. Once you've got used to the ski it's dead easy to play around with the fore/aft position of the binding
to see what suits you best. I can email you instructions & pics re the bindings as the factory booklet is junk.

Always tune Metron's (well any Atomics) to 1 degree base & 3 degree side. This isn't a standard machine set-up for a store tune so if you don't DIY (Evil or Very Mad) make sure you specify 1,3 to a store otherwise they'll screw 'em up.

Hopefully this link to a chart will work. It's is the original chart & the B5 has the same index as the M11.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/sizingchart.html?sizing_id=149
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, Thanks for that. The skis were the 9's. I'll have a look at theat chart and see what it says.

I ski mainly Red and Black with some off piste. Am 36 and have been skiing since I was a little kid so am fairly good. Which model would you recommend.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jack Hallam, I am not as good a skier by any means , and a lot less experienced than you.

I think you should be looking at the B5 or M11. I tried the M9 (albeit 2 years ago ) and it is really a bit sloppy .... I've also tried the M10 ...but I'm sure others of your level will advise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jack Hallam wrote:
spyderjon, Thanks for that. The skis were the 9's. I'll have a look at theat chart and see what it says.

I ski mainly Red and Black with some off piste. Am 36 and have been skiing since I was a little kid so am fairly good. Which model would you recommend.

Definately the B5 then. The old M11 will still be fine but the B5 has so much more top end performance on tap.

Check-out the holy grail of B5 threads from ssh on epic:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22186&highlight=Metron+review
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jack Hallam, spyderjon, You guys are gona spuff over the 'Nomad Crimson'. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Don't tease. More info req'd!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, She's red, 86mm underfoot has a raduis of 18m in 176cm. You know what i think, but you'll love 'em my boy. Little Angel
There is also, Nomad: Blackeye 79mm, Whiteout 79mm, Highnoon 76mm, Bluemoon 72mm and Sativa 72mm. A couple of ladies models to.
Once the industry recovers from this winter and we've sold out of skis i'll follow up with the science bit, oh how dull. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, spyderjon, I'll try the B5's this time out and with any luck will be out in Chamonix for a long weekend at the end of the season. If it's ok I'll come in and get some "proper" snowboard boots from SZK, as I've been meaning to do for the last 12 months!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Top of the range, end of season bargains of course!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Once the industry recovers from this winter and we've sold out of skis i'll follow up with the science bit, oh how dull. Little Angel

SZK, I already know about the torsion/flex control stuff & the nano tech etc. The question is can you get a pair of 176cm Nomad Crimson's c/w Neox 412's to me by the 10th March for under £500?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, SMALLZOOKEEPER, cAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO SEE SOME INFO ON THESE WONDER SKIS?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jack Hallam, The 08 Atomic's aren't out yet in the UK (probably not until Oct) but some stores in the US have them rolling eyes

I hope to see them at next week's Slide trade show.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Al's Ski Equipment Barn are selling them with bindings for $999.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
petemillis wrote:
Al's Ski Equipment Barn are selling them with bindings for $999.

Plus shipping to UK, VAT & Customs = approx £650
latest report
spyderjon, Not knowing everything about different skis and probably a bit of an odd question as no-ones tried them but do you think these will be better for me than the B5's?
latest report
spyderjon, Ha, forgot to mention the VAT and clearance fee - that's something I take for granted as have packages delivered from Oz every week and cars delivered from Japland!
I've got lucky with a "gift" once - a shop in the US wrapped up an item in Christmas wrapping paper before boxing it and sent it as gift. Wonder if that that'll work for skis?
snow report
Jack Hallam, A lot better off piste & no were near as good on-piste as the B5's. Without skiing the Nomad I'd say it's a 70/30 off/on piste were the B5's are definately a 70/30 on/off piste ski. At my/our weight the B5 is good up to 18"-24" depth whereas my 175 M:EX's (84mm underfoot) are were really great in Verbier recently in 3' depth without any tip diving. The Nomad is a tad wider than the M:EX so you be good in anything except true bottomless stuff.

If you're after a true 50/50 on/off ski then I'm selling my 175cm M:EX's with 412 Neox bindings (118/84/111, 19m radius) which have only done 1 week for only £210 fully serviced. They're superb skis but I'm currently having a bit of a clear out (5 pairs of ski whilst living in Nottingham is just not right) & raising cash for next week's trade show. This ski performed real well off piste at my recent Warren Smith week, whilst still being great at ripping up the piste with GS carves. What also surprised me was how great it was when doing Warren's low speed technical exercises & in the bumps.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
but I'm currently having a bit of a clear out (5 pairs of ski whilst living in Nottingham is just not right)

No you need at least SIX pairs to live in Nottingham.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
If you're after a true 50/50 on/off ski then I'm selling my 175cm M:EX's with 412 Neox bindings (118/84/111, 19m radius) which have only done 1 week for only £210 fully serviced.

Do the M:EXs have to be shorter like 'real' Metrons?
snow report
Chizz5056, See http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24114
ski holidays
I'm liking the sound of the B5's but the Nomad's sound exciting. Maybe I should get both!

Maybe I should be sensible and wait but where's the fun in that!
snow report
Jack Hallam wrote:
I'm liking the sound of the B5's but the Nomad's sound exciting. Maybe I should get both!

Great minds think alike Cool
latest report
spyderjon, Are these this seasons. From what you said I think I need the 164's. Let me know if these are the latest and I'll buy them they seem like a bargain and appear to include bindings! http://www.extremesportsworld.co.uk/product.asp?sstlcmpid=5749&productID=2237
snow report
spyderjon, Forgot to ask. Are the orange or te silver ones this years model?
latest report
Jack Hallam wrote:
spyderjon, Are these this seasons. From what you said I think I need the 164's. Let me know if these are the latest and I'll buy them they seem like a bargain and appear to include bindings! http://www.extremesportsworld.co.uk/product.asp?sstlcmpid=5749&productID=2237

Wow that's a great price for an 06/07 M11:B5 - especially as it has the latest & lighter Neox 412 bindings.

Note that the M11:B5 is not the same ski as the B5. The M11:B5 is a slightly beefed up version of the old M11 with a longer turn radius (15m versus 11m on the B5 & M11). The old M11 didn't have the B5's integral power channels & was quite a bit softer in flex.

The new M11:B5 has a lower spec version of the integral power channels that are surface mounted in front of the bindings hence the B5 Connected nomenclure. The M11:B5 is therefore stiffer than the old M11 but still less than the B5.

The M11:B5 is still 76mm underfoot (like the B5 & the M11) but & I think that longer radius is better for off-piste than either the B5 or the M11.

The M11:B5 is a cracking ski & at that price my recommendation would be to buy it, quick! Just one thought re length though - I haven't checked the Metron length chart for the M11:B5 but for my 5'9" 15st build I'd be tempted to ski it in the 170 length rather then the 164.
latest report
Jack Hallam, I've just checked my Atomic spec book. The M11:B5 in 164cm is 14m radius & has a Metron Index of 1255 whilst the 170cm is 15m radius & has an MI of 1310.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I'm a bit confused now. The Metron Index doesn't seem to take any account of height, which seems odd. Obviously they know what they're doing so I'm not really questioning that.
I'm 5' 8". Would you go for 170 or 162?

Also, are the power channels the long detachable claw shaped things I've seen on a few skis this year or is that a different make that look as if they act like dampers.

Sorry to ask all the questions but I like the sound of buying these skis but don't want to cock it up.

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jack Hallam You're correct in that height is not factored on the Metron Index as it's weight that flexes the skis, not height. I know people who say height should be a factor, ie fore/aft balance etc. I know many people from v.short to v.tall who followed the MI & who love their short skis. You're average height like me so I'm confident the MI will work for you.

The B5 Connected units are the two rod like dampers on top of the top sheet, in front of the bindings. They are NOT detachable like those questionable Rossi ones. The Metron B5 (short for Beta 5 construction) has the rods running into the core of the ski but to save cost the M11:B5 has them bolted to the top sheet, hence the B5 Connected name.

The length thing is pretty subjective. The 164cm has an MI of 1255, the 170cm MI is 1310 & the 176cm MI is 1370.
From the Metron chart you'd add 400 (for your weight) to 470 (advanced skier?) to 480 (medium turn preference) = 1350 which would put you on the 170cm, as if you're between sizes Atomic say go shorter. If you select a long turn preference then that = 1420 which would put you on a 176cm. If you selected a short turn preference your MI would be 1290 which would put you on the 164.

IMO selecting the short turn preference is contradictory as you're looking at a medium radius ski as if you wanted the short turn selecting you should be looking at the old M11 or the B5. So that leaves a choice between the medium & long preferences. I'd therefore use your anticipated off-piste time as your decision making criteria, ie way more time on-piste then go for the 170cm but if off-piste a lot more than on then go for the 176cm for that extra float.

I must say that I'm tempted myself by the superb deal on offer. I'd go for the 170cm as a great allrounder with a piste bias as I've got fatter skis for proper powder days.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
spyderjon, Thanks a lot. I'm going to go for the 170's then.

I had virtually decided already and now that I see you get a free ski bag as well it's no contest!

Must be the cheapest deal going on these. I'll ring tomorrow and buy them, I guess only then will we know if the offer is real.
latest report
Jack Hallam, Good luck. Let me know how the deal went as I might be in the market myself wink.

BTW, Atomic's binding instructions for the Neox's are cr@p so I've produced my own pictorial & written instructions:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=39950
snow conditions
I had a go on 162cm B5's today, on the hard packed pistes of Killington. Awesome ski for carving turns on. Much better than any Salomon carving ski I've tried!
snow conditions
spyderjon, B#ll#cks!!! Just rung up to buy them and what do you know "we've sold out of that one...." but guess what "we do have M10 in stock" so effing what?

I knew it was too good to be true, had the Amex in my hand and everything!!!
snow conditions
Jack Hallam, Sad. And I've just sold my M:EX's or you could have had them.

Still got my Sugar Daddy's for sale if you feel up to some fat boys?
ski holidays
Jack Hallam wrote:
spyderjon, B#ll#cks!!! Just rung up to buy them and what do you know "we've sold out of that one...." but guess what "we do have M10 in stock" so effing what?

I knew it was too good to be true, had the Amex in my hand and everything!!!

Jack - check out ski-bilek in Germany, they've got quite a few in stock and reckon they're cheap too. I've got a bid on a pair on eBay. 2005 Metron:EX, you'll have to search ebay Europe though.

http://shop.ski-bilek.de/ Click on the all mountain link!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy