Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

release v non-release bindings. in relation to skiboards

Poster: A snowHead
i use 110cm summit custom skiboards, with bomber elite non-release bindings. i plan to purchase slightly longer boards for next season, choice between the spruce 120's or the new summit marauders 125's. release bindings seem to be reccomended for the longer boards, and the only reason i can see for this is the safety factor. what i would like to do though is go for alpine snowboard step in bindings, purely because i think i will get better performance from non-release bindings. apart from the usual skiboards/snowblades are crap responses, i would like any oppinions, views, personal experience from others. please help???
graeme Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme wrote:
what i would like to do though is go for alpine snowboard step in bindings, purely because i think i will get better performance from non-release bindings.

why do you think this?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know of a snowboard step in binding that I'd trust on skis with the uneven pressures.

I distribute Icelantic AT Boards in the UK and although I'm limited to what I can make customers do and Icelantic are skis (lengths of 143-173) I would strongly advise against any binding except a full release or a telemark ski binding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, because of the way the non-release clamp my boots down. very little if any flex from the binding
kiwi1, the bomber bindings will do this perfectly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiwi1, really liking the icelantic range, Very Happy very interested in the scouts... any special offers???????
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, won't alpine snowboard bindings be too wide? Also you would have to have snowboard specific hard boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no i can get an adapter piece for my existing bomber bindings. it is the snowvboard specific hard boots that i want, something from the deeluxe/raichle range, possibly the indy or the track325. these boots will be perfect as skiboard boots
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, Crosbie was selling some Indys here.

You might also consider the Upz/Virus boots if you can get hold of them. They are supposedly good if you have a wide foot and come with Din adapters so you can use them as normal ski boots.

Until switching to skis last year I was using my Raichle AF600s (same as DeeLuxe Suzuka) with my Blizzard Carvalino snowblades.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i did see the upz boots, but they are hard to find, have quite a narrow foot so maybe not for me. thanks for the help though
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't there some legality that requires skiboards longer than 1m to be kitted out with release bindings? Or is that just if you are selling them?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah i think its a selling thing, but i can buy the boards without bindings, i would then have to fit 4 x4 steel inserts to replicate the binding pattern for the non release
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
its not 1m though, my summit customs are 110cm long, they are fitted with non-release..... totally legal
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was told whilst doing a Salomon tech course that skiboard manufacturer's (inc Salomon) had had to introduce release bindings due the number of injuries from non-release bindings. Seems to me that if you're then using the latest wider/longer boards with non-release bindings then you're a knee injury waiting to happen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, sorry i disagree. for all we know i might never have an accident and hurt my knee. almost 10 years on these and not even a pulled muscle. why worry about what might happen.... just not worth it. i work on roofs day in day out, do i worry about falling off......hell no. the day i worry about injuring myself in this sport/pastime will be the day i give it all up
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, why then, if there's more control, don't downhill racers us non-releaseables?
snow conditions
rules and regulations
ski holidays
copied from fis rules concerning equipment,
Safety bindings
Safety bindings function as strain limiters. That is, these devices transfer
specific demands occurring during skiing to an acceptable limit, and when
this limit is overstepped, they release their firm hold to the ski.
snow report
Why don't you try some alpine race bindings on them with a short mounting length like the rossignol race turntable types? The din setting can be up to you however the potential torque on your knees from skis / boards goes up as they get longer.
snow conditions
or if you could try plates.

I'm riding the 2008 Icelantic Pilgrams at 169cm with Vist 614s and a TT plate.
snow report
graeme, my understanding was that non releaseables are a much cheaper binding to produce so they are fitted to keep the price of skiboards low.
latest report
chris, Very true chris.

The big problem is body rotation in a fall which is I guess common sence. When you fall and rotate you body a blade under 1m will on the whole rotate with you like having a pair of skates on. Above 1m and the skis start to catch with you body still rotating. I know everyone here knows that already so sorry to state the obvious.

graeme, You sound like you know what you're doing and have been pretty lucky over the last 10 years not to have had a good fall but I would really advise you to get a good performance release binding.
latest report
Well you could....

graeme wrote:
...apart from the usual skiboards/snowblades are crap responses...
graeme Cool

Oh. Nothing more to add. Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy