Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair checked in baggage allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Flying out from Stansted Saturday morning. Booked flights back in June. The original printout of terms and conditions states a 20kg checked in baggage allowance, but Ryanair website states 15kg. Help - which is it? Although surely if it says on our printout 20kg then that should be ok. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry - wrong spot. Should have put in 'Trips'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christina1, if you are wanting to take more than 15Kg, then make sure you go armed with the printout, and be prepared to argue your case.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, Luckily, 4 lawyers in our party so that should not be a problem!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they have changed there policy just before xmas can you let me know how you get on thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Christina1, I fear they will only accept 15kg as it might set a precedent for other passengers who queue up behind you. Having said that on a flight earlier in the season they weren't rigid. May depend on how full the flight is. Weight versus fuel cost etc. I think its £5 a kilo if you are over, £25 gamble I guess. Not sure if its fair to get 4 lawyers onto check in staff, but clearly there is a descrepancy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the terms & conditions at the time of booking said 20Kg, then surely they have to honour that?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly off topic, but I read in the paper yesterday or the day before that Ryan Air has just posted record profits despite fuel price rises. The record profits are the result of them charging for checked-in baggage. Nice that init? Flog you a cheap airline ticket, reduce the baggage allowance and charge you more for your luggage!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B,
Quote:
If the terms & conditions at the time of booking said 20Kg, then surely they have to honour that?
There's probably some small wording that says something along the lines of "we reserve the right to vary the baggage allowance, please check before arrival at the airport" or something. They usually have a way out of these things. Then of course there is the "green" fuel surcharge that nearly all the airlines (with the exception of BA) are passing on to customers - this possibly won't be mentioned in the initial price (depending when the flights were booked) but will be payable at the airport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
petemillis, when easyjet changed their baggage policy, if you had booked prior to it, and had proof, then you were allowed the "old" allowance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all your replies. Not sure what to do. When there are 4 in your family (especially with teenage girls) an extra 5kg is a lot in terms of weight and money! Definitely do not want a scene at the check-in so will perhaps go with the 15kg. Will let you know the outcome as I think others in the party will stick with the stated 20kg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christina1, i bet i get stuck in the q behind them !!! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it not 15kg of checked in baggage + 5kg of hand baggage? I'm a travel agent and their baggage allowance has been 15kg for as long as I can remember. I've never booked with them for ski destinations so they may increase the allowance on those routes, but knowing Ryanair's policy of 'if we can charge for it, then do' I'd be v v surprised if it was 20kg.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JamieUK, I thought it was 15kg too, certainly was when I flew with them last.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JamieUK, Helen Beaumont, Didn't they temporarily change it to 20kg when all the terrorist stuff was going on and there was no hand baggage allowed in the cabin back in November??? I'm pretty sure it's back to 15kg now though... thats a pair of ski boots, a pair of jeans and a pair of clean undies... any more than that and it'll cost you!!! wink
snow conditions
On the way out to bergamo last week i got charged excess baggage at the prestwick end for my boot back rather than paying for sports equipment. worked out at £4.40 Very Happy

then on the way back they let me take my boot bag on as hand luggage even though it was too heavy and too big to fit in their baggage size checker thing! Puzzled but Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I took boot bag on as hand luggage in January no problem. Admittedly it is a slim bag , but my mates had bigger bags (ooer) and thy had no problems
Christina1, point taken about 25 quid x 4, haven't quite got my head round family skiing yet. look forward to next year!
latest report
I think you'll find that the small print says you fly under the T&Cs in place on the date you fly not the date you booked.

At least that was the case last year.
ski holidays
I flew Ryanair at the wekend. The way round the allowance is to book a sports package (£31) and take a ski bag. They do not weigh the ski bag and some of my party had 30kg in their ski bag but were within hthe 15kg allowance for check-in baggage.
snow conditions
Quote:

They do not weigh the ski bag and some of my party had 30kg in their ski bag but were within hthe 15kg allowance for check-in baggage.

I wonder if anyone from Ryanair reads this forum and how long it will be before they start weighing ski bags.... we all know what ryan air are like.... ker-ching... another opportunity to boost those meagre profits!!!
ski holidays
I fly with Ryanair quite often. The baggage allowance is 15kg plus 10kg hand luggage. It doesn't matter when you booked - the current T&C's are the ones that apply. I've never had my hand luggage weighed, and always take my ski boots in hand luggage.

I have seen many people who thought it was still a 20kg limit given a slip to take to the excess baggage counter, so be careful with the weight. I think it's £5.50 per kg. I'm not sure about the new flight tax increase, but I expect you may also have to pay an extra £5 each way per person as you booked before the increase was announced. I haven't flown in the last few weeks, so I don't know for sure, but certainly the likes of BA have been doing it.
snow report
There was a brief window last year when they started charging for bags when the weight allowance went to 20kg. This was pretty rapidly reduced to 15kg again.

Sports baggage allowance does I think allow you to carry more in the sports bag but they get you to sign a waiver saying something to the effect of any dammage is your own responsibility. I would certainly not put anything of value in other than skis and boots as I suspect that they would not cover anything lost other than sports stuff either.
latest report
iblair,
Quote:

certainly the likes of BA have been doing it.

Absolutely untrue! BA have absorbed the cost for passengers who booked prior to the new tax being announced.
snow report
Steve Sparks, sorry - I apologise to BA. I did get that wrong. Embarassed

I just did a bit of research and it seems that Ryanair took this of the card the flight was booked with automatically, so you won't get charged extra for the tax increase at the airport. If you fly with anyone else, this BBC article may help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6301757.stm. I expect there is another forum thread about this though. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy