Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique question; crust. When to push through it, and when to try and stay on top?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hmm... I've found another way to screw up; judging the technique to use on steepish crust.
There's two options - you can try to push through it and get to the softer stuff underneath, or if it's hard ( or the stuff underneath is ice ) try and stay on top.

Any ideas on how to judge when to use which technique?

After a few years of gorilla skiing, I wonder whether I'm getting woossy and trying to use the "float on top" option too often.
At least, that's why I think the guide sailed down the stuff while we all fell A-over-T on the steep crust on top of an otherwise perfect hidden valley last week.
He muscled, we tried to float.

Funnilly enough, just before Xmas we had the other problem. There was almost no snow depth to speak off, so you had to float or risk trashing your skis.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TJon, You've got to change your technique to suit the conditions and slope you are skiing. This can often mean using diiferent techniques within the same slope. Your observations that the guide muscled and you tried to float, supports the fact that he used the correct technique and you didn't. The trick is to know what technique and how to judge what is correct for the given circumstances.

I was pretty much in your situation a few years ago and resolved to get some further tuition, to enable me to do what I've descibed above. I've had the training and put it into practice, and with repetition you do begin to recognise what to do and how to react to what is happening under your skis. I'm not saying I've got it completely sorted, but not much phases me now, and I do still fall when i've misjudged, but that is becomming less often now. This years conditions (last week of Jan for me) offerred all sorts of variety and I had a great week, and improved my technique no end. BTW even the experts fall, as both my Guide and Instructor fell on diffrent days trying to cope with the conditions. Cost both of them some rounds in the pub after!.

Bod.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TJon,

What BOD says is right. I'd just add that this more of a tactics issue than a technique one - the issue is choosing which technique to use given the conditions and this is a classic area where experience rather than lessons counts.

What I do as I start a pitch on uncertain snow is bounce a little in a straight line to get a feel for the resistance/consistency this gives me an idea of the sort of force I can apply (easier to avoid a face plant!). It's more elegant to ski on the surface if you can but I think that being thuggy is lower risk so I err on the side of smashing through (i.e. big unweighting moves) unless I feel reasonable confident that the crust will support me.

All this is valid for a different set of conditions - where you have light powder on top of heavy wet snow. Can I be delicate enough not to sink in the sludge at an inopportune moment?

J
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good points, well made.
I think my fitness was not as good as usual last week, so I was skiing tired by the end of the week when we did the run.
Tired legs and tired brain make for sub-standard decisions.

Then again, I could just be really c**p. Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I often don't have any choice... skiing along quite happily on top then suddenly break through a soft section prior to falling over Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely it depends in part on the gap between the crust and the snow underneath? If in doubt I tend to give a good stab with a pole, to check. Generally speaking, I prefer to float - which the Mission skis help me to do. But if there is just a small gap between crust and snow, I am not too bothered. I think that's what easiski taught me - and it seems to work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy