Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dual Voltage Waxing Iron

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure these are available but I don't know where from.....

Does anyone know if you can get dual voltage waxing irons?
I'm thinking that a 230v one intended for use in Europe might struggle a bit with Canadian 110v electricity.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never seen one.

If you already have an iron perhaps you could get a transformer from Maplins?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a brilliant idea.

Thanks spyderjon,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hellfiresliding, 1500W ones can be quite heavy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can someone tell me what is special about a waxing iron, as I've never understood why someone would spend so much on one? I just use a standard dry iron which you can pick up for less than a tenner. Would a wax iron improve the job I do? snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Before anyone else jumps in, the thermostats are more accurate, and as a bonus you don't get wax on your best shirt when you forget to clean the iron completely Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know people do use travel irons which are meant for ironing clothes....strangely enough there are lots on Ebay with the same question asked of the seller....what size is the sole plate?
I wonder if these are all skiers looking for a bargain.

Also, has anyone (with some technical training of course) ever tried to adapt the thermostat bit of a travel iron to make it more accurate?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hellfiresliding, I've not worried about it - just get the temp as low as possible, so that it just melts the wax, and don't leave the iron in one spot too long.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The other thing they all say is that the thinner bases don't stay warm evenly all over...I guess if you're moving the iron around a lot that doesn't matter so much either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hellfiresliding, oh, and another thing to consider - wood cores cope with heat a lot better than foam ones.
...let's face it, wood cores ARE better than foam ones. So, if you're waxing Salomon skis, be careful!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks again....I'm pretty sure my Nordica Hot Rods have wood cores.

I saw a pair of old Rossignols years ago which had very convex bases...I think they had foam cores....that really put me off anything without wood cores.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I managed to find a Rowenta non-steam iron in Currys a couple of years ago but they don't make them any longer, but I've just spotted this travel iron on eBay.

I had one of these years ago when I first left home and it was pretty good. The handle folds flat and there's a case to stash it in which would stop the wax getting all over your clothes when you travel.

I might bid for it myself if nobody else declares an interest here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Found this and a few others after entering 'dry iron' into Google.

May not be OK across the pond but would be fine in Europe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm thinking about getting a special travel iron for wife. It's easy to clean as it doesn't have holes in the base so it won't ruin her clothes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The travel iron option does seem to give light weight portability, low cost and dual voltage in many cases.
latest report
My 'in resort' waxing solution is to walk in to the local ski shop armed with a six-pack & borrow their bench & iron for 15 mins to apply my own wax. Worked great in Val Cenis last year & in Tignes at Crimbo.

petemillis, Toko gear is expensive. I do a better iron for a lot less.
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
spyderjon wrote:
Toko gear is expensive. I do a better iron for a lot less.

I know you can't advertise here but if you have a catalogue of equipment available could PM me with details? (looked at the website but no details of what is for sale)
ski holidays
bloxy, sorry but my website is currently under construction - hopefully the product & online shopping bit will be next. I'll PM you my info in the morning.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy