Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eating while skiing

Poster: A snowHead
bladeskier,
We've got two children who could eat for England, so Hotel breakfast is hearty, followed by lots of sandwich making - bread rolls, cheese, ham, croissants, fruit etc etc.

Anyway - its not lunch - its a deferred breakfast!

I'm surprised you're surprised. Doesn't everyone do this?!!!!!

Mountain rest' at 12.00, Coffees / chocolat chaud, 'home' made sandwiches, story swapping, then back out there. Can't wait!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment, you are the one then !!! Whenever I have a late breakfast due to a lively and extended apres someone has scoffed all the tucker and there is nothing left. by all means take an apple or slice of cake for a quick nibble prior to heading off but please do not steal the entire scoff pile in the form of a packed lunch ! It is always the quiet ones eh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cannot tell a lie...t'was I. Early bird and all that.

We'll leave you a piece of curled up ham and some mouldy cheese, next to the dried out bagettes.

BWY whats a 'lively and and extended apres' - you forget we have children....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Law of the jungle applies! Always enough for a sarnie from the breakfast table ( and if You're late enough that there isnt much left then it must be nearly time for elevenses of an early lunch Laughing ).

Some days the sarnie makes it into my trap, other days the allure of a restaurant and a sit down is just too much!
It would be interesting to cross reference the 'I ski all day without a break' camp, and the 'my boots are killing me by the end of the day' camp wink .

Personally this pielot can be a very grumpy hector if he isnt being fed! Usually just a 30minute stop for a snack but it makes all the difference. My skiing will be even more ragged than normal by the end of the day if I havent had a refuel.

As an aside.... skiied with someone who grabbed a banana from the buffet on the way out of the door and stuffed it in his pocket before hitting the slopes.. OH how we laughed come lunchtime! yuk Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i did once have a nice carvery buffet lunch with my granny, and thought that as we might be a bit peckish come tea time, why not take the nice side of roast beef for a late afternoon snack, I was shocked to find the waitress chasing after me saying that I had no right to take the beef. I thought that was a right liberty because I had my poor hungry granny would be sitting at home at tea time and did not fancy spending her pension, but the waitress was having none of it and said that I was stealing, shocking I know, and also said that other people had paid for lunch and that my granny would have to go without. So, i bought my granny a nice meal that evening and we all lived happily ever after.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shockingmoment, the hotel we stayed at in Chamonix didn't have it's own restuarant, they had a cafe-bar type place which was attached, but owned and run separately.

We were charged 7 euros for the breakfast and paid the hotel direct, I'm guessing the cafe-bar place saw say 5 euros of this.

If everyone ate their breakfast and then helped themselves to the buffet to refuel at lunchtime, all of a sudden that 5 euros per person becomes 2.5 euros per person. Cafe-bar can't make a margin on that and goes bust.

No idea what you do for a living but if someone asked you to provide double for no extra money I'm sure you'd tell them where to go.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
debbi, they never found the plump breasted chicken I swiped away in my grannies hand bag though !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rayscoops

Point well made - however when I had a raclette at the end of the holiday we tried and tried but could not finish the half-cheese between the three of us, when the waither came to remove the meal he poured scorn on us saying the cheese is usually enough for two only - so to call his bluff we asked for it in a doggy bag!

Shocked > exactly his expression, compared to ours > Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kaiser, if you ever fly first class always open and have a little bit of each cheese on the cheese board, I am told that they can not then serve this cheese again and the trolly lads/lasses tend to be allowed to take them home in a doggy bag too. I think it must be bit of a cheese thing and of course if there is a bit of the old smelly stuff going free there is no need to turn your nose up to it wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will do this the very next time it happens. Probably in the next couple of minutes I expect... Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice cruising Blue to Brandegg, Rosti with two fried eggs, then apple fritters (mit sauce), then hit the slopes again

IN TWO WEEKS snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey, I don't know how you can all eat so much and then go skiing....!

My typical day here in Notre Dame de Bellecombe (when not working): Go to local boulangerie first thing in the morning and pick up a lovely fresh baguette and a couple of croissants, eat croissants on returning home with a nice cup of coffee in front of the TV, start the day gently and chilled out.... then when the mood takes me, wander 50 metres across the road to the nearest ski lift, say hi to my mates in the lift pass office and to whichever lifty happens to be on duty that day (they are all colleagues of mine!), put skis on, grab a perch and start gliding up the summit...

Ski for several hours until I start to feel hungry again, then descend down my local red run that finishes up "chez moi"... chat to lifties again for a few minutes, leave skis in the lifty hut and wander back across the road to my apartment to make myself a delicious reblochon+ham baguette, to be eaten at a calm pace in front of the TV while also watching the snow fall outside... When ready, make way back across the road to aforementioned lifty hut, listen to the lifties' latest humorous tales of whoever happened to fall off the draglift that morning (it's one of those dodgy ancient lifts that launches you into the air when you first get onto it - always amusing to watch the tourists go flying when they're not expecting it)... put skis back on whilst wondering what kind of stunt to pull in the air for when the lift yanks me upwards... take a perch and head back up to the top of the mountain.

Ski until it begins to get dark... then have fun finding an new interesting route down the mountain in order to get back to my apartment. Once back home, take skis off, have a shower and get changed, then head down to one of my local bars which will be guaranteed to be invaded by the Black Jacket Brigade (my colleagues still in their work uniform: lifties, pisteurs, anyone else who happens to work in the lift pass office like me) and the Red Jacket Brigade (the ski instructors) where I will join them to drink the "apéro".... a few beers later, the subject of "have you eaten yet tonight?" starts to work its way around... the conclusion always seems to be "no" and somehow the day always ends up with us all still sitting there in the same bar, this time having moved just 10 metres to the eating section and indulging in various different Savoyard specialities which we all share between us.

Aaaaaahhhh..... village life.... wouldn't change it for the world!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bladeskier,
Hey - thanks for contributing to keeping the costs of our lunches down.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops,
Just think what you're doing to the price of 1st class flight tickets...
snow report
Usually tend to try and have a large lunch at about 11:30 before ski school ends and all the kids come in. Makes for nice empty pistes for an hour or two at lunchtime, then the odd stop in the afternoon for a coffee or hot choccie.

Rosti with Pork Sausage and Onion Gravy in the Fluhalp! Mmmmm Blush
snow conditions
Hmm, depends where I am.

3 valleys last week we were self catering so nice pastries for breakfast then bought bread and stuff from the supermarket and ate away from the crowds. At the edge of a nice slope ESF take beginners is always worth a laugh Twisted Evil Unless its in the 4th valley above Orelle where the restaurant is rather well priced...

Austria has to be goulash for lunch and an 11ocolock beer of course as its affordable.

In canada then an 11oclock beer(stupid licencing laws!) with beef jerky and then a big lunch.

Always have a bottle of water (tap cos I'm tight) and a banana. Maye chocolate too if I remember.
snow conditions
shockingmoment, completely made that cheesy yarn up wink and my granny, sadly, died a long time ago of chicken food poisoning Blush
snow report
shockingmoment, do not be so tight, pay for your lunch !
snow report
rayscoops, me too! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
shockingmoment, do not be so tight, pay for your lunch !

kids eat so much now - we save money by not taking them with us. we lock them in a cupboard under the stairs for the week
so now we only have to pay for two breakfasts (but we still raid the buffet bar for lunch) wink
ski holidays
It's surprising how far one kid will go if you are inventive and don't mind spicy food... Skullie
snow conditions
Kaiser wrote:
It's surprising how far one kid will go if you are inventive and don't mind spicy food... Skullie

I do love kids.
Not sure if I could eat a whole one though
snow conditions
Kaiser wrote:
It's surprising how far one kid will go if you ...

... slice them thinly enough.
snow report
shockingmoment, have you tried putting a bit of brandy in warm milk as a nice drink before bed time fro the children, the kids will then sleep untill 10 am, you can have a late breakfast and you would not need the deffered breakfast Very Happy , then join my friends and I in a late 2 pm lunch of mars bars and coffee. Your kids can practice sliding on our snow boards whilst eating energy bars that you can purchase in bulk in UK before coming out on your hols, much better than ham and cheese sarnies wink
ski holidays

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 9-02-07 13:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kaiser, bit harsh but funny Very Happy
snow conditions
Perhaps not entirely in the spirit of the thread - One thing I got in my food packs the other year and works very well in a baguette is Pate and carrots rapee. Simply delicious.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
shockingmoment, have you tried putting a bit of brandy in warm milk as a nice drink before bed time fro the children, the kids will then sleep untill 10 am, )

And miss out on all the lovely soft snow thats fallen overnight to freshen the pistes?

Besides - we like to get to the BB buffet nice and early. If we're there too late - all the nice stuff has disappeared....

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 9-02-07 13:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 9-02-07 12:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
shockingmoment

I assume you are referring to the pate/carrot combo - you know you shouldn't knock it until you've tried it Smile
snow report
I did 2 days on my last trip where we just skied all day with only a couple of museli bars and a beer for lunch. But I prefer to have a small lunch somewhere, and as I'm diabetic it can make the blood glucose levels a little easier to predict.
snow report
Quote:

Beer dehydrates and makes skiing unpleasant.

I find I can cope.... wink Not in great quantity though, and preferably drunk on the terrace of our apartment, looking at Mont Blanc, because bought in Carrefour beers cost practically nothing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy