Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA to charge up to £240 for an extra bag

Poster: A snowHead
BA is taking a leaf out of the low-cost airlines' book and has implemented charges for extra bags checked in. BA has, until now, postitioned itself as a "full-service carrier" and has accordingly allowed passengers to check in as many bags as they liked, on the condition that their combined weight was within the personal allowance. However from the 13th Feb passengers arriving at the airport with an extra bag will be charged up to £240 (long haul) or £120 (short haul) to check it in...

That would sting on a ski trip to Canadialand.

More at the BBC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not necessarily

you can still check in your ski bag and boot bag foc cant you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C, yup...

"However passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge"

...and it's GBP120 for short haul international, GBP60 for domestic.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two pieces of luggage are allowed to North America without any additional charge (plus your sporting equipment).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Roger C, yup...

"However passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge"

Isn't that a "nope", because ski bag plus boot bag is two pieces for sporting equipment?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, you mean you don't take your boots as carry on?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The all to make things clearer policy is a bit of a farce. For my next trip to the States I will have to take an extra bag becuse weight per piece has been dropped from 32kg to 23 kg so instead of a 32kg ski bag plus say a 10-15kg bag I will now take a 23kg ski bag & 2 10kg bags costing them more in baggage handling and extra hassle for me at both ends.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
see this thread from yesterday with a link to the ba website .. i feel that most of us will be safe from this - hope so using BA in March for a trip to GVA and taking skis

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=545826&highlight=#545826
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Self-drive is now even more attractive.

I've just come back from a drive to La Plagne and my baggage alone consisted of 2 snowboard bags, 2 boot bags, 1 holdall, and 1 ruck sack. And then there's the shopping for the s/c apt. And a load of booze for the return trip.

I guess the ski rental companies are thanking their lucky stars now. Although the ski shops won't do quite so well...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, i think that ski bag plus boot bag is counted as "one piece of sporting equipment"

stevew, i'll be on BA next friday with ski bag, boot bag etc and will post if there is a problem!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roger C wrote:
laundryman, i think that ski bag plus boot bag is counted as "one piece of sporting equipment"

That's my understanding of the rule change as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So 1 + 1 = 1; and they said it's all in the interest of clarity. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And they don't even have cheap flights! Those prices are a complete joke, how can an airline go from no charge to £120 overnight?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C, Just watch on the way back if you are dealing with non BA staff - they tend not to have any idea of your allowances at the best of times. It might be an idea to print off the allowances from the BA site.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It doesn't in principle see odd for BA (a low cost carrier by any other name these days) to jump on this particular bandwagon.

However, I don't understand how they can reasonably charge...

- £60 return to Geneva for 1 person between 50 and 150 Kgs, carry on luggage up to 7 Kgs, checked luggage up to 23Kgs, sporting goods (skis, say) maybe 12Kgs?

and

- £120 for an "extra" bag.

Cheaper to buy two seats...

Total commercial nonsense. Wonder what idiot thought this one up. It will probably cost more to regulate and enforce than it will bring in revenue... dolts.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 8-02-07 15:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
All European flights should be a fixed price of £1 each way.

That is, if you book 6 months in advance, are between 5' and 6' in height, less than 200 lbs, don't have any baggage, and pay online by direct debit.

Everything else (tax, insurance, security, baggage, late booking, wheelchair, etc.) is a government surcharge or a luxury optional extra and of course you should pay the going rate for it.

They'll start charging for using the travelators next - just you wait.
latest report
take the Eurostar, no baggage limits wink wink and 30 minute check in
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
take the Eurostar, no baggage limits wink wink and 30 minute check in

Not much good from Glasgow though wink

snowHead
latest report
Err...

Have half the posters on this thread read BA's policy?

I have just got back from US with one suit case, in which I had packed my boots, and a pair of skis. My case weighed in at 24 kgs but the BA check in staff happily accepted it without comment. This may be because BA are not strictly enforcing the new weight limits until the end of September, see their web site. However, 24kgs is 53lbs. US airlines now have a 50lbs per bag limit and, if my experience is anything to go by, they do not allow any latitude at all. On my internal flights with Delta I was told that I would have to pay $25 excess baggage, but solved the problem by moving 3lbs of clothing from the case to the ski bag as "padding". However, the only reason I was anywhere near the limit was because I wanted to minimise bag juggling around the terminals by limiting myself to a single tow along case and ski bag. BA and Delta (and I believe most other major Airlines) both allow you to take an "item" of sporting equipment in addition to your allowance. An item of sporting equipment for skiing is defined by BA as "One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings." In other words, skis and boots are additional to the 23 kg allowance - so unless you really want to take the kitchen sink with you skiing, the increased excess baggage penalties should not have any practical impact.
latest report
checkout the ba link http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb which states
Quote:
You may check in your free checked baggage allowance plus one additional item of sports equipment providing the item weighs up to 23kg, and does not exceed the following dimensions: 2.5m x 1.00m x 0.80m (98in x 39in x 31in).
snow report
I wonder how many people this change will actually effect - given the allowance for sports equipment...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy