Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed: how to get twin tips into gondola ski racks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I occasionally ski on 1080s and mostly enjoy the experience. The one thing I find a bit awkward is getting the damn things into the ski racks on the outside of gondolas. Normally the slot is only wide enough to get straight ski tails into, but not twin tips. Is there some technique I'm not employing to get both skis into the same slot? Usually I take two slots which is OK if the lift is quiet, but a bit anti-social if the gondola is going to be full.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried putting one ski fully in first then sliding the other one down on top of it?

I had 1080's for a few days end of March/beginning April last year (3 Valleys). I can't remember too many problems but there again it was quiet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pete Horn, given that you only have a few seconds to load your skis I've not really experiemented on different options. I'll try putting them in one at a time when I ski on them next.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two slots is the only sensible answer as U find out when pfaffing around trying to be considerate and the lift guys just grab them off U and seperate them.

If the guilt is really gnawing at U, make sure U stand next to a blader in the queue as they take up a seat but usualy no slots Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
u brain, yes, that's what happened to me a couple of times when I was trying to be considerate. Since then I've just stuck each ski into a seperate slot, but if there was a sensible way to do it I'm more than happy to take advice! However, my guilt isn't so all-consuming that I'm prepared to hang around until a blader turns up...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
u brain, Bladers have their uses then. What a revelation thanks Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely a problem - they don't seem to have realised that people don't have £M long, 10mm wide skis any more. I had exactly the same issue with my 1080s one gondola I got them in put really struggled to get get them out - though I was on the way back down again! Another time the angry old french lifty split them, still couldn't get them in the ski slots so put it in the snowboard one, I spent the whole journey hanging out the window holding on to them!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought twintips last season in USA. there they have lift attendants putting the skis into the racks. they clam the skis together like you normally do then slide the front one into the rack and let the other ski slide in behind the rack with that SKI then sticking out above the front ski, I think it only worked on the front rack. but i suspect this technique might be specific to the Aspen Ajax Gondola.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my twin tip fits very well into gondolas...........well it is a snowboard NehNeh NehNeh Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
take them in the gondola with you.....never had a problem doing that and pretty much only ride twins!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JonL, do you have a private gondola reserved for you each time you ride up the hill? If I tried to take a pair of skis into a gondola with other people I suspect I would get turfed out pretty sharpish!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JonL wrote:
take them in the gondola with you.....never had a problem doing that and pretty much only ride twins!!!

I agree - take them in the compartment with you. Don't let those angry French lift attendants take them from you - try and blend into the scenery (possibly by standing behind some very tall people) while hiding them behind your body and then jump in the gondola just as the doors are going to shut behind you!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One in each rack is the only way - also has the excellent effect of reducing the number of people in your cabin! I don't like skis hanging outside or in wierd places (they do odd things with skis at La Grave to get all the pairs onto each cabin, I'm always afraid they're going to fall out/off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy