Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deciding on length of Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Have just returned from Ischgl in Austria Toofy Grin where I hired Rossignol B2 Bandit ski's (174cm length) and found them to be absolutly brillient in all conditions I skied in except for steep mogals. rolling eyes
Being used to a more narrow on-piste ski, I was used to a sharper turn.
I am now seriously considering purchasing a set and I was wondering if I went for length 166cm, skiing mogals would be easier and I would not lose much if not any of the performance the 174cm length ski's gave.
I am 5'8" and usually ski 170cm length skis.
What do you recon? Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
174. It's more stable, please give the B3 a try, she skis well on the piste and has a much better off-piste performance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ROB, what's your weight?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i'm about 12 stone
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want to go off piste more I'd say 174. Sticking to the piste, I think shorter might be marginally better.
But go with the B3 in 174, and explore more of the hill!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ROB, I'm 5'8" and went for the 166 as I do much more skiing on piste. Happy with them so far!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat - Are you saying that there is hardly any difference between the B2's and B3's on piste and over the bumps, but the B3's are far superior off piste?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ROB, that's what the experts seem to be saying.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B3 is stiffer too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
ROB, that's what the experts seem to be saying.

You saying that I'm agreeing with the experts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ROB wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat - Are you saying that there is hardly any difference between the B2's and B3's on piste and over the bumps, but the B3's are far superior off piste?

Almost. In my opinion the difference on piste is a lot less than the difference off piste.

Let's make up some numbers here...
Say you lose 5% on piste by choosing the B3. But you gain 15% off piste. To me, the loss on piste is something I'd live with to have a considerably superior ski off piste.

...and then, of course, now you've got a ski that is better off piste, the best thing to do is to spend more time there! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Agreed, with a modern ski technique, ie wider stance, edge to edge speed is less noticable due to carving and holding the edge longer.
Has Colin put your Disney plates on? Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
with a modern ski technique, ie wider stance, edge to edge speed is less noticable due to carving and holding the edge longer

this makes sense.

Quid pro quo - skiing something steep and narrow on hard pack or chalk - a narrower ski is optimal?

Assuming of course you don't just straightline it Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Has Colin put your Disney plates on? Toofy Grin

They are going on on Saturday. (took me a while to work out what you meant)

My options were to remount 3 pairs of skis, or get the plates.

Will let you know how it goes - perhaps I'll even write an article about it to go on here...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
Quid pro quo - skiing something steep and narrow on hard pack or chalk - a narrower ski is optimal?

Generally yes.

jedster wrote:
Assuming of course you don't just straightline it Twisted Evil

Fun isn't a straight line!

...I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've done a slalom on Seth Pistols. (although some of the onlookers may have had to change their underwear as they saw me steaming towards them on skis that have a turning radius and edge to edge speed similar to an oil tanker) Shocked Laughing
snow report
jedster, On steeper ground, i prefer a larger ski, it's edge being closer to my bootwall therefore alowing me to release and grip better. That said, straight line is the best for of attack. Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
That said, straight line is the best for of attack. Toofy Grin

Whilst quoting Nelson.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy