Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski to get fit? or get fit to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
well i am in the latter category. there where a few posts/threads asking about getting ski fit within x many days of a ski trip. i train hard at my fitness, over and above what is needed for the actual skiboarding activity, so when i am actualy on my boards i find it very easy. i know work/kids etc restrict peoples time, but even some exercise a couple times a week is gonna be benefficial, maybe not for this year but certainly for the following years.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A total regime is better.

Fitness + diet.

Train sensibly.

Eat well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neither. I ski and I am still unfit snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I first started to ski, me and some lady friends used to go to the ladies morning at the dry slope. It was good exercise and we all lost weight. Trouble was I tore my thumb ligament, Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

A total regime is better.

sums up my attitude towards my training.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This was in addition to our normal exercise. I am not doing very much at the moment though, a once weekly Pilates class is my lot, but considering rejoining the gym, if the class times are suitable there. I finish work too late for most of them .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
ski to get fit? or get fit to ski?

I find it works both ways.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
get fit to ski then ski to enjoy then stay fit to ski again Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless you can get to ski at least twice a week, I don't think you can ski to get fit. And I don't go out of my way to get fit to ski. I just try to keep generally fit (loads of walking with the dogs, physical work, stretching, the gym sometimes, swimming and lots of "how's yer father") and eat a healthy diet. The only special thing I do for 3 or 4 weeks before skiing is walk harder up steep hills, run down steep hills doing carved turns, jump turns and that sort of thing on my balls (of my feet) and work a little bit more on core exercises (sit ups, upper body lifts and so on). And that usually does pretty well for me. Certainly no time to go out all day to the gym or cycling for hours on end - I just do what I can fit into my daily family life. I find the running down hills thing fantastic - you can edge your trainers as you're running down, angulate your hips and really get a good feeling for the positions needed for skiing and it's great for the balance too. The stretching really helps as well - far less chance of pulling things if you work on this.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Comment from the novice - last year I got fit to ski - didn't spend so long doing it, but made more of an effort than the zero exercise I'd done before - it probably helped when skiing - but I then didn't keep it up when I got home.

This year since mid December 06 I have done 20-30mins on the exercise machine at about 10pm each night just before going to bed (only time I have to myself once the kids have gone to bed and I've made the lunches). the machine makes lots of exercises possible with lots of resistance leg pushes. I've lost about a stone, and actually look better and feel fitter than I've done for years - I hope that it will help me enjoy my skiing more this year. The thing is that I think I ought to try and keep it up when I come back - I'd like to lose another stone. However, at the moment I have the motivation of the skiing trip in front of me - when I come back there won't be as much motivation so I'm hoping I can find some support here. It def. helped telling you all earlier that I was doing the regular exercise - it seemed I was then breaking my word if I didn't then do it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, I found the Pilates had paid handsome dividends when I was on the slopes last week (I teach 3x a week). My legs were in great shape, so I skied all day, every day (with time off for lunch). I wear MBTs as a matter of course, so my calves were fine too and about a month ago I started doing some extra leg work on the CardioWave cross-trainer for my buttocks, adductors and abductors. Oh, and the Pilates was also excellent preparation for the amount of poling we had to do in the Espace Killy!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit of both, but I ski mainly to have fun, and I try to have fun when exercising in the summer as well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clara_jo, MBT's?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mega Big Trainers? hehehe
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mutton, Bacon and Tomato (sandwiches, isn't that right Miracle Max?)
snow report
clara_jo, They've got those wave machines in our local gym. I could watch the women on them all day Cool

I tried getting fit to ski, and then tried skiing to get fit. Now I go for the holistic approach, I ski to get to the bar, and drink to get up courage to ski down. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Neither - ski to have fun Wink
latest report
Megamum, Masai Barefoot Technology trainers http://www.swissmasai.co.uk/Default.aspx?lang=en-GB.
ski holidays
Quote:

Neither - ski to have fun

but surely the fun factor will increase if your not struggling with fitness issues while on the hill
snow report
graeme, I don't struggle with them. I take them to the bar to chill out.
snow report
AxsMan, lol
i know that snowsports are all about having fun, but surely its not fun if your muscles are hurting/burning, in turn wont this have an effect on your skills/technique. i like to give myself every opportunity to get as much from my time on snow as possible Smile
ski holidays
I dream of being able to ski regularly enough for it to keep me fit Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I worked out a lot for the last few months with ski-specific and cardio exercises before spending a week in Whistler. I felt like it was an real advantage for the first 4 days but then I was as knackered as usual for the last 4 days of the holiday.

My next holiday, in 2 weeks time, is 3 weeks skiing, so to keep up my fitness I intend to go to the gym as many evenings as possible after skiing to do some no-resistance spinning.

Hopefully that'll stop my thighs from 'fizzing' the whole time and will relax them better than the hot tub was able to do. snowHead

Lets see how my will power holds out. Smile
snow report
Snowy wrote:

Hopefully that'll stop my thighs from 'fizzing' the whole time and will relax them better than the hot tub was able to do. snowHead

Try a lesson or two....

usually burning thighs = technique issues Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Snowy, I just found this:

http://www.skinewmexico.com/winter_insider/wi12505.htm

I have to admit, I didn't get burning quads once last week. Whilst I would love to say that this clearly means I don't have technique issues, I think I'd be flattering myself Wink I think in truth it's more to do with the amount of Pilates I do, and the fact that I have strong hamstrings as a result.

I was ending each day feeling that I'd given my muscles a great work-out, but I wasn't shot to pieces.

Also, stretching after exercise, as someone has pointed out, is vital. And if you can get yourself a deep tissue massage after going in the jacuzzi, that'll certainly help.
ski holidays
Keep fit to ski me. Seven years ago I joined a gym, and have gradually increased the number of days that I go since then. I certainly don't tire easily when I am skiing and I no longer get quads burn - but as little tiger says I think that may be due to improved technique.
I certainly don't have th opportunity to ski to get fit - one week per year is not enough! (though it's 2 wks this year for the first time ever thanks to the EOSB) Very Happy Smile Toofy Grin Very Happy Smile Toofy Grin Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I do a lot of fitness work, since I really enjoy it and always have a particular goal, last two years being triathlon and this year being adventure racing.

I ski hard in environments and with people that I have to be fit to keep up with. However, a lifetime of sport also demonstrates that skiing is the thing that gets you fit for skiing.

That said, whilst triathlon put me in the best overall fitness shape of my life, it was the cycling that set me up for skiing.

Even more so, I find the upright position of a mountain bike the most effective, or riding out of the saddle on a road bike.

One thing often overlooked is the importance of the lower back in skiing. Swimming for triathlon, having previously been a real novice swimmer, mean no back twinges for me at all during last year's four weeks of skiing.

Sounds like training for off-road triathlon is the way forward.
snow report
little tiger wrote:
Snowy wrote:

Try a lesson or two....

usually burning thighs = technique issues Twisted Evil

I rarely ski outside of lessons... Very Happy

It's not thigh-burn - it's thigh-fizz! The feeling you get when you've been actively using your legs all day? You know? They fizz all night while lying in bed. Perhaps tingle is a better word to use. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flicksta, work on those hamstrings?

Suggestion for thigh burn-fizz-whatsit from the cycling world: lie down with the bottom against the wall and your legs up onto it. Massage towards the heart.
snow report
clara_jo wrote:
Snowy, I just found this:

http://www.skinewmexico.com/winter_insider/wi12505.htm

What am I supposed to be looking for in this article? It doesn't contain the words burn, fizz, tingle or stretch...

Doesn't anyone else get tingly legs at night when they've been skiing all day? Perhaps none of you are skiing hard enough??!! Laughing Laughing wink
snow report
Snowy, Tingly fizzing legs? Sounds like deep vein thrombosis to me!
ski holidays
I have met loads of SnowHeads that are good skiers. Absolute tosh this fitness lark as the unfit ones still have a fantastic holiday and in some case are superb skiers.
ski holidays
petemillis, either that or their partner is sleeping across them, and giving them a dead leg...
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, i dont see any relation to fitness level and enjoying a holiday. but it certainly not tosh that fitness levels can affect your ski abillity. plenty people are asking about technique issues, surely fitness is as important
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
petemillis, either that or their partner is sleeping across them, and giving them a dead leg...

You might be on to something there...

I was certainly suffering from 2 dead legs when Mr Snowy took us down the Couloir Extreme (Blackcomb) for our warm up run on day 8 of our holiday....and that was after looking down Hawaii 5-0 and deciding against it!

PS petemillis, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Snowy, I was looking for an article which explained about the importance of hamstring strength to avoid overworking the quads (I'm a Pilates instructor). Not having felt the 'fizz' I didn't know whether this was similar to a burn Puzzled
snow conditions
flicksta, I want to try my hand at a triathlon - sounds like skiing is another incentive to do so!

Generally...

I tweak my training (if you can call some exercise most days training) from Octoberish with additional leg weight sets and intervals on the bike and stepper at the gym.

I refine what I do each season and even between holidays based on whatever lets me down first! It seems to be working as my body seems more geared up each time.
snow report
clara_jo wrote:
Snowy, I was looking for an article which explained about the importance of hamstring strength to avoid overworking the quads (I'm a Pilates instructor). Not having felt the 'fizz' I didn't know whether this was similar to a burn Puzzled

When someone says "thigh burn", they mean the tension in the thighs felt when sitting back too far when skiing. This is instantly relieved by moving to a position where their thigh muscles aren't supporting their full weight e.g. standing differently or sitting down. Is that right?

What I'm referring to is the tingly/fizzy feeling in your muscles (thigh AND calf) AFTER (not during) a long days skiing, which lasts all evening, all night (while lying flat in bed) and into the next day, depending on how much skiing you've been doing.

Does no one else get this sensation? I've just made myself paranoid by putting "exercise tingling/fizzing thighs" into Google. I've come up with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Guide to self-empowerment and several other sites which have convinced me I'm a goner. Shocked
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
flicksta, work on those hamstrings?

Suggestion for thigh burn-fizz-whatsit from the cycling world: lie down with the bottom against the wall and your legs up onto it. Massage towards the heart.

Hamstrings dreadful, can't even touch my toes. Too much cycling and not enough smart running/stretching. That's also a symptom of a stiff lower back though, which I definitely have
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy