Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club email

Poster: A snowHead
Just received this from the Ski Club, hope they don't mine me reproducing it here. I will remove if they do.

Quote:
I would like to sincerely apologise for the negative slant of this morning’s edge newsletter with regards to the snow conditions in the Alps.

We understand that the Ski Club snow reports are highly regarded and we are in a position of responsibility when communicating information on snow conditions. We always try and paint a realistic picture of the conditions, but in this case we should have been more positive, whilst still being truthful.

We have had a high number of calls from journalists this winter about the snow conditions and have every time put a positive slant on things.

This afternoon we are sending out another email newsletter dedicated to the snow conditions, retracting the ‘no snow in the Alps’ comment and focusing on the fact that there is plenty of skiing and boarding to be enjoyed in resorts across Europe (using webcams, photos and comments from our reps in resort as evidence), that heavy snow is forecast this week.

We regret the situation and are very sorry to have caused upset within the industry.

With regards,

Laura Chamberlain
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just another turn in the slow descent of the ski club
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
points finger, haha
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We understand that the Ski Club snow reports are highly regarded and we are in a position of responsibility when communicating information on snow conditions. We always try and paint a realistic picture of the conditions, but in this case we should have been more positive, whilst still being truthful.

We have had a high number of calls from journalists this winter about the snow conditions and have every time put a positive slant on things.

I have to say I find these quotes deeply depressing as a members club they should be telling it exactly as it is no positive or negative slant.

We (I am a member) subscribe partly for accurate information they are not paid to be a spoksperson for the industry. Clearly the snow record around the alps has varied considerably this season in both time and place. The club should accurately reflect this or there is no point whatsoever in having this information.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't even receive the original newsletter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
I have to say I find these quotes deeply depressing as a members club they should be telling it exactly as it is no positive or negative slant.

Exactly right. I wonder what is the Ski Club's motivation to put a positive spin on snow conditions?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This was in the original newsletter:

Quote:
What to do when there's no snow in the Alps? Join the Ski Club.
Think about it. Rocky pistes? Save 25% with ski rental and hire skis instead of ruining your own. Crowds at Half Term? Meet up with the Ski Club rep who will take you to the best spots on the hill. Fall on the ice? Use your membership to save on physio. Ski Club membership helps you out whatever the weather, but... we still hope the new snow arrives as forecast this week!

Quote:
What's the deal with the snow?

It's been widely argued that this is one of the worst seasons on record in the Alps. And the recently published OECD report warned of a major decline in snowsure resorts in the next 100 years, with temperatures set to rise by 4° in the Alps due to global warming.

So what does this mean for this season? Well, so far it hasn't been good. Conditions throughout January were reminiscent of spring, and grassy patches were an all too common sight.

However, perhaps this is all about to change and we are in for a cracking late season? Our Ski Club forecasts show that the snow is set to fall this week - great news for Half Term visitors. And it looks like France may be getting the most new snow, especially towards the end of the week.

To keep up to date with all the online snow conditions and weather forecasts then visit skiclub.co.uk. Or to watch the Snowcast, updated twice weekly, visit SkiTV.co.uk. In the meantime, keep dancing for the Snow Gods...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, thanks for that, it is nice to know what they were apologising for.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
sorry to have caused upset within the industry.

Laughing No worries, it's caused a fair bit of amusement everywhere else... Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We have had a high number of calls from journalists this winter about the snow conditions and have every time put a positive slant on things

Quote:

We regret the situation and are very sorry to have caused upset within the industry.

Hmmm - worried about "positive slant" and "industry". Surely their first duty is to the club members and not "the industry"

I wonder did they come under pressure from their big advertisers and their sponsors to put a positive gloss on things coming up to the half term week???

Any one looking for unbiased truthful advice - perhaps should think twice before taking ski club reports at face value.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I saw it I thought it was going to be the usual unrealistic positive puff. I read it and thought "that's refreshingly honest".
The politburo are obviously alive and well and living in Wimbledon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, Did you sign up for "The edge" newsletter? That's how I first read about it.

For those interested, Mr. Goldsmith is taking another hammering over this issue on SCGB. And for those not interested - there will be no snow on Merseyside tonight Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, used to get the edge when I was a member but I haven't had any for ages now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SCGB ----RIP

They knew not from where they came ....................

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strictly speaking, the SCGB email was inaccurate.

The version I have, stated 'there's no snow in the Alps'.

They should have said there is below-average snow, or something similar. That would have been closer to reality.

However, this is a storm in a teacup. Anyone with half a brain will recognize the phrase as marketing fluff, and take it in the spirit intended.

Regarding the spin, or bias, they put on their snow reports -- nobody should be surprised by this.

Anyone who reads them will know they are 'carefully worded' and often 'forget' to mention certain issues.

For example, Andorra has had one of its worst seasons in living memory. But this sentiment has rarely come through in the reports.

But to be honest, I don't blame the SCGB for spinning their reports.

Quite a lot of skiers get (irrationally) irate when anyone dare mention conditions are not great.

I have seen it many times wink
ski holidays
Has anyone started a leaving collection for the Ski club 'new media' department Confused
snow report
Whitegold, Perhaps you should read some of your own before commenting on why stuff gets misinterpreted due to inaccuracy ....

... but then again I'm sure you KNOW all about that kind of stuff . For goodness sake who would you use terms like 'worst in living memory' 'half a brain' 'conditions not great' and expect to be taken seriously ? wink wink
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Whitegold For goodness sake who would you use terms like

You should seriously consider taking spelling lessons wink
latest report
Children, please Little Angel .
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Agenterre wrote:
Whitegold For goodness sake who would you use terms like

You should seriously consider taking spelling lessons wink

I have , couldn't be arsed wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Apologies to you.
snow report
Agenterre, wink , it was starting to sound like the ski club forum.
snow report
Well I'm very upset I didn't get the apology email wink Toofy Grin
latest report
cathy wrote:
Well I'm very upset I didn't get the apology email wink Toofy Grin

still waiting for mine as well Toofy Grin
snow report
Perhaps they used an old mailing list for the apology, as I don't get the edge.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Laughing I get 'The Edge' and I'm NOT a member Very Happy Laughing Laughing
snow report
I got the main email, but not the one posted here.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I'm not a member either.
'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
boredsurfin, I'm not a member either.
'

But you got the apology Laughing Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, But Helen Beaumont, may be a registered 'supplier'? Consequently more important than you ?

( Where's that spoon/stirring smiley ? snowHead )
ski holidays
Just had yet another email from them which says (among other 'fluff' wink )

"The wording that we used in the last issue of the edge was unfortunate in that it gave the impression that there was 'no snow in the Alps'. Despite a slow start to the season in Europe, there is snow, as our snow reports and detailed snow overview (updated Mon and Thurs) reflect. ...."

I agree it's a storm in a teacup, no-one does take them 'seriously' which is kind of the crux of the problem really. If they want to be taken seriously, they should try to avoid PR clangers like this one. It's not just the unfortunate wording of 'no snow in the alps' but the admission that they consciously put ANY slant, positive or negative on snow conditions. They should just report the facts kid, just the facts!
ski holidays
Agenterre, I couldn't afford to pay them the huge sum for the privilege, and then I had to give the members discount, so i just stuck with SnowHeads. wink
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I REALLY was jesting with The Bawd(y) Lawd on that one, honestly! You are one of the few folks here who are beyond reproach and I 'assumed' all (readers) knew that Embarassed , sorry snowHead
latest report
Agenterre, sorry, must have misunderstood that one. NO apology necessary
Embarassed
snow conditions
Just got the "updated" snow-report edition!!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I didn't even receive the original newsletter.

me either just the one appologising
ski holidays
snowangel., I got the now snow one, but not the apology. If I hadn't been so busy I'd have complained.

I gather all they've been saying about here is "runs to resort closed", and completely failed to mention that we had good snow above 2,000m and that we have well over 100kms of pistes and 1,600 verticle m above that level! It does make my blood boil. As for "don't worry about the industry" well- how do holiday skiers have a holiday without the industry? The lift companies etc will always survive, but what about the smaller shops and other small businesses? Many have struggled this year here due to "negative spin" - it's not funny. If someone loses 10% of their income on an income of £20,000 that's a massive loss, and in many cases wholly attibutable to the lying press (and some on this forum).
snow conditions
Well, why am I not surprised at all this? As I’ve said before somewhere on this forum, this is all part of an elaborate SKGB conspiracy. They successfully make it look like karaoke night at the asylum but, believe me, that’s just part of their smoke screen to make themselves look harmless, hapless, idiotic. Never ever forget, all that snow, all those lifts and peaks… it’s all theirs by right. Why tell US there’s no snow? Because it’s all theirs; they own it. We’re just allowed to pay to use it (as long as we travel by train) to fund their first class transatlantic heli-ski binge. (I hear the Editor of Ski&Board is due to be knighted for services to the helicopter industry by the way!) That’s OK in a normal season when there’s room but not this year, oh no. Folks, there are actually dark forces at work and you need to listen up.

So, here’s what I’ve discovered (and why I have to be incognito). Firstly, they’d have us believe that the club was started in 1903 at the Café Royale by half a dozen work-shy toffs. How would we know? None of us were around. The actual truth is that the club was established by the CIA during the early days of the Cold War. It wasn’t 1903 but it was indeed just gone seven. The CIA needed us and needed a device to ensure that we’d look ridiculous to any other nation that we might side with. Let’s face it, it worked fantastically well and the effect continues to this day. What could be better than to send out a bunch of toothy hoorays complete with bum bags and a pre-historic dress sense. They were scattered among the lofty parts of central europe guffawing loudly all over the place about their stem christianias. Nobody had a clue what they were on about but, equally, nobody was brave enough to take them on.

Cold War over and job done. Like with all american wars the tidying up was left to others and nobody thought to disband the club. History will show that this was a colossal mistake. Drugged on power, the club’s top brass continue to go about putting the lower order of skiers in their place. This is The Establishment don’t forget and we are their subjects. The best manifestation of this is the Respect The Mountain Campaign (another ploy to keep the great unwashed at their local dry slope).

There’s loads more but I think I’m being watched. Swiller out.
latest report
easiski, I immediately thought of you when I opened the apology email.
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:

It's not just the unfortunate wording of 'no snow in the alps' but the admission that they consciously put ANY slant, positive or negative on snow conditions. They should just report the facts kid, just the facts!

To be fair to the SCGB, they quantify snow conditions better than almost any other site on the Web.

Their quantitative database, both historical and present, is excellent.

Sure, their qualitative guidance is somewhat questionable, often biased.

But the stats they aggregate, while not perfect, are superior to most.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy