Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best edge tuning device as the one i have i don't trust to get the angles correct

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I don't have the confidence to hand tune the edges with a hand file, so i have been using a toko edge tuning contraption, that has adjustable dials on the side to set base and side edge angle 0 to 4 degrees. The files are now rather worn, (i usually take the base one out) and i don't really trust it as its all plastic so surely it must flex?

I need a replacement to do the side edges, any recommendations please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz, speak to Spyderjon!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz,
I built my own, it wil do base and side edge angles. Perhaps a bit drastic if you are not an engineer but so easy to operate. Ref your existing sharpener why don't you get a new file and cut it down to size with an angle grinder?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The files in it are really tiny and thin, and the other issue with it is it seems to scratch the base, especially with the base file in place. The one you have built looks very impressive, bit beyond me however. Toko do a new one with rollers on the base of it, but is it any good? Spyderjons advice would be very welcome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, Is it the Toko FETS one? I've got one of them and don't have a problem with it scratching the base so long as I only lightly presure eit on the base while putting most pressure on the side edge. And any marks that the plastic of the edge tuner puts on the base are only in the eax anyway - it can't actually damage the base as the plastic is far softer than the base material. The plastic for the guides is certainly rigid enough to keep the files at the correct angle. I am thinking of replacing it though, just for the sheer hell of it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes its the fets one (just looked at the top of it!) Maybe i am putting to much pressure on it. However the files are blunt, so either new files or a new contraption, they don't seem to sell this one anymore.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, I've just spotted your post.

Replacement files for your existing guide are no problem if that's what you want. Files should always be sharp for an accurate cut & to stop you overpressuring the tool.

However you should only really be using a file for initially setting the edge, if required. After that you should just be using a diamond file/stone (with a cutting lube) on a regular basis to keep them sharp & smooth (after first dressing off any rock dings with a bit of alu-oxide stone). And once the base edge has been set then all tuning should be done on the side edge only to avoid over bevelling &/or lowering the base edge.

Personally, for accuracy reasons, I'd steer away from plastic angle adjustable tool & look for a fixed angle guide. Rollers are just a gimmick which get clogged up & don't run smoothly. And a decent fixed angle side guide with clamp is cheaper than the plastic Toko multi angle tools.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. I think i will be in touch tomorrow. I usually use 2 degrees side and 1 degree base on my Volkls and the same on my Fischers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I need to take my fischer RX8 in to be edged and waxed. sould I be specifying a specific edge angle as above. I live in south wales and normally use the barry ski lodge. any other recomendations in cardiff / monmouthshire area. Spyderjon- I think you are just too far away otherwise I would use you wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, Fischer RX8's are shipped from the factory with a 1 degree base & 3 degree side angle (just like Atomics Cool) so you should definately specify that tune. If the store can't do that tune then go somewhere that can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
dan100, Fischer RX8's are shipped from the factory with a 1 degree base & 3 degree side angle (just like Atomics Cool) so you should definately specify that tune. If the store can't do that tune then go somewhere that can.

Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy