Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern ski school recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any suggestions? We're off there in April and a recommendation would be good snowHead .

Someone that speaks excellent English would probably be the main criteria.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, that clearly drew a blank so let me reduce the criteria a bit...

Anyone ever used a ski school there at all? Who was it, what did you think?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro,
My family has used three ski schools in Obertauern - Top, Frau Holle and Krallinger. All provided good lessons but the first two unfortunately managed to lose two of my children Shocked

So basing your criteria on the best being the school that brings back all your kids at the end of the lesson, then I would recommend Krallinger wink

There's a list of all the ski schools here - click on "Obertauern in winter" then "sport" then "ski & snowboard schools" - sorry no direct link
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hywel, sounds like a result, I shall probably book with one of the first two then wink

Thanks for replying. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro,
We used Frau Holle last year and my son thought it was brilliant though it may have been due to one particularly good group and teacher.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Booked a couple of sessions with Frau Holle. If they lose the kids, that will be a bonus Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any other comments/recommendations?

Ray Zorro, how were your sessions with Frau Holle? I'm leaving it a bit late to book but hoping a couple of mornings/lunchtimes/afternoons private might not be too hard to book Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, they were fine, though, I guess it will be hard to generalise from that one experience Confused We had an Austrian guy that had spent a lot of time in the States, so his English was good (which helped), but I don't think he was a particular regular of theirs. One lesson he took Zit 2 down some moguls and some steeper stuf and then the next day took Mrs Z on a more of a gentler session, he didn't compare so well for Zit 2 to her previous instructor (easiski), but Mrs Z liked him.

He met us at the hotel reception to go out and ski and came back there a couple of days later for payment, so it was all very civilised.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Ray! I guess I'd better send some emails off - better than doing work today Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, thanks to a scientific survey of the available ski schools wink , I have booked with CSA Skischool Grillitsch & partners - not recommended by anyone! http://www.skischule.co.at/e_index.html But their website was available in English and looked the best - surely a good indicator of a good ski school Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy, let's hope so Very Happy How many sleeps now?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing

Oooh, only 9! snowHead This is the first time I'd actually counted the sleeps to go Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, I'll be booking csa grillitsch for feb too. Please let me know how it goes/anything you think might help! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, will do! Certainly communications with their office have been very good. Helpful prompt replies in good English (I did apologiese for my lack of German...)

BTW, what prompted you to choose them? Any prior recommendations?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, they're the nearest to my hotel, which I'm told is an important consideration in Obertauern, but like you I also felt most comfortable with their website and office staff
snow report
slikedges, glad you used the same methods as me to guage the quality of the instructors wink
snow report
To either Cathy or Slikedges, Did you find if Grillitsch did am only lessons without going private? Not according to their website, but in conversation you may have come across a little more info. We are off in Feb halfterm to the Kohlmayr, and Grillitsch is the recommended school, but daughter wants (suprisingly - shes 14) to ski with us in the afternoon!
snow conditions
twoodwar, well from their website it appears they only do all day courses. Try emailing them - their office is very helpful.
ski holidays
Can anybody tell me if ski school in Obertauern involves taking lunch on the slopes in a mountain restaurant with the rest of the class, or does the morning lesson end back at the resort and everybody do their own thing as with ESF ?
ski holidays
I would imagine that, as with most Austrian Ski Schools, lunch on the mountain followed by a further 1.5 - 2 hours skiing in the afternoon would be the case. However I have no direct experience of Obertauern so would recommend you speak to Grillitsch ski school as their office appears to be quite helpful
ski holidays
Just reporting back on the Grillitsch ski school where I had booked 2 private lessons of 2 hours each.

They rang me up at the hotel the evening before my first lesson to check I was still on. Which was good. Although at that stage they still couldn't give me the name of my instructor for the next morning at 9 Confused However, Stefan duly turned up at the appointed time at my hotel, which was right next to the Gamsleiten lift and we had a good few hours together. Lots of exercises on easier red slopes and I definitely improved and picked up some useful points. I had kinda assumed I would have the same instructor for both lessons, but at this stage I was having my doubts.....so I asked him if he was taking me for the next one, in 2 days' time. He replied he could do, if I wanted, I said yes.

However, the next lesson a guy called Coxy (?sp) turned up. Good instructor, been with the ski school for 6 seasons and I really learned a lot from him. And finally cracked this carving lark Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

They were both young Austrian guys with very good English. And sorry Stewart - I did ask them what they did in the summer wink Toofy Grin

I wasn't too bothered about having 2 different instructors as they will have different styles, cover different areas. And I hadn't specifically asked for the same one. And I reckon Coxy was actually better. As I was going to tip at the end of the 2 lessons, he ended up with the double tip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Overall experience good snowHead snowHead I guess its difficult for them to sort out instructors to cover privates and groups when many people don't book until they're actually at the resort?

Our hotel was linked to or recommended the Krallinger ski school, which seemed good especially for the kiddies. They were having a presentation on the final day on the slope next to the hotel and the kiddies were going up on the podium and given a medal and certificate - it looked like they all got one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
cathy, thanks for the report. I've booked 2 pvt intructors for a lot of the days we're there and specifically requested that the one for the kids can do patience, fun and technical! and the one for the grown-ups not be just a basic anwarter. They seemed happy to oblige - lets see what happens! Glad it worked out for you?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy