Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

proper girlie question!! - fashion

Poster: A snowHead
minicat, isnt it catered?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Noone should admit publicly to shopping at TKMaxx. It is shameful. Like going to Aldi, Lidl or Kwik Save.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, its actually fashionable to shop in Primark etc now
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Whitegold, its actually fashionable to shop in Primark etc now

That is tragic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, no one says tragic anymore.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Cool.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold,
Quote:
Noone should admit publicly to shopping at TKMaxx. It is shameful. Like going to Aldi, Lidl or Kwik Save.

I've just done £130 in Lidl in Brighton - and as I was on my own today the gorgeous girl on the checkout kindly gave me a hand with my bags. You can't beat Lidls for washing powder, dishwasher tabs, fruit juices, Thai red and green curries, fish, bacon, hams, some good vale fruit and veg - ahh the list goes on - mmm them massive tins of ravioli - beaut! And good value cereals, wine etc. I have yet to convince myself though that I would get away with a pair of Lidl trainers....or a Lidl jacket.

Quickly back to the girlie fashion question - both Bonfire and Animal jackets are excellent and needn't be too expensive. Just bought my wife a genuine Bonfire Optic T10 from the US for just over £50. Wouldn't worry too much about colour - just pick what you like. But whatever you do, it's worth picking something you can wear on a day to day basis back home - that's the way to make some of the expense more acceptable Everything I buy is assessed on a "predicted cost per wear" basis - I look at price and divide it by the number of times I am likely to wear it. So often, a more expensive item of clothing ends up with a lower "cost per wear" than a cheap item.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

Whitegold still sings along to Club Tropicana and wears Levi 501s .with a fetching Top Man blouson and button over shirt.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis wrote:
Everything I buy is assessed on a "predicted cost per wear" basis - I look at price and divide it by the number of times I am likely to wear it. So often, a more expensive item of clothing ends up with a lower "cost per wear" than a cheap item.

Only a man could say that Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No the fluorescent greens and pinks are back in check out febs edition of mail & ski mag pg 73 &74

or www.schoeffel.com
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

How tight should my ski trousers be.

I was in Avoriaz last week, vpl was obvious ina few cases!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cookie monster wrote:
No the fluorescent greens and pinks are back in ...

Did you hear that FtS? Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, you trashed Roxy !!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I love Roxy and i'm not a beginner !! i just love the quirkiness. Protest would be my 2nd choice for sure.
Westbeach for women are just bland bland bland and well Burton .... just to up their own @rse to ever consider buying that !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thunderer, your VPL or other peoples ? wink just so long as there wasnt cameltoe to complete the 'look' Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
debbi, Roxy is a fashion brand for girlies - it doesn't perform.

Have to say I also have a bit of a resistance to buyng anything Burton - there are times when you'd think they were the only firm out there making any ski/board equipment at all. Object to paying for their overbearing marketing strategies!
snow conditions
no, not catered we just rented the whole chalet and they have sent us the keys so no one else will be there
ski holidays
2008 Womens colours:
Black
Light Blue
Dk. Brown
Yellow
Olive Green
Red
Lime green
snow report
debbi, its not quirky when you see 8 people wearing it in one day! its MAINSTREAM buy a lifestyle branding, very profitable too!
snow report
When I went to La Clusaz in March, I didn't see a single other person wearing the same Bonfire Blur jacket as me. Then last week, as I was driving up Lewes Road in Brighton, I saw some dodgy druggy looking bloke wearing one. It's the only one I've seen on another person. I reckon he must have nicked it.
ski holidays
Any colour you like as long as its red (doesn't show the blood) or brown (doesn't show the s1"t) Toofy Grin
snow report
Apparently red trouser make you go quicker. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stevec, in more ways than one Twisted Evil
latest report
Nadenoodlee, Lizzard,
well in my defence i have never seen anyone in either of my jackets over the last 3 years and they have done me proud in keeping me warm (in -25+) & dry with absolutely no wear & tear.

I just find most of the womens stuff (apart from Protest) far too plain , dull & boring and with being just 5ft i really struggle to find things to fit me properly - and roxy seem to have my size pegged.

Seeing as i have been chastised for my apparently poor apparel choice Embarassed I will now have to send my BF to see you two when I suddenly pitch up with yet another new outfit wink wink wink

Just like Posh, always up for a new outfit, never like to be seen in the same thing twice Razz
snow conditions
debbi, so for a week's skiing you need seven different sets of jacket and pants? Shocked
snow report
OK, Roxy is a fashion brand - buy a lifestyle thing - but it performs well enough and is tough enough for recreational skiers. A friend of mine has a Roxy jacket that she has used skiing for 4 or 5 years now - it breathes, it keeps her dry and warm (even in heavy rain in Morzine in Jan 05), and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the more technical brands. And how many of the people who fork out two or three hundred quid for top NF, Arc T, or whatever stuff really need that degree of technicality and performance for 1 week per year on the piste? Surely all they are doing is buying a lifestyle, but a very very expensive one.
Debbi, my OH likes the Protest stuff as well - again it's sensibly priced. As is the Animal stuff.
ski holidays
hear hear petemillis
snow report
petemillis, Totally agree, hence the reason i ski around in my generic, but perfectly functional Decathlon kit - relatively cheap, does a fine job and looks ok.

Job done.
snow conditions
Quote:

And how many of the people who fork out two or three hundred quid for top NF, Arc T, or whatever stuff really need that degree of technicality and performance for 1 week per year on the piste?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

True.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, so my jacket wasn't ridiculously expensive, but it was still what you would call "technical", and it wasn't cheap. I shan't be buying another one for a few seasons, I should think and last week we got lucky with the weather - I skied under cloudless blue skies. But I wiped out spectacularly a couple of times (who said snow was dry? I believe it came up in a thread when we were discussing waterproofing once - well surprise, surprise, when it melts, it's cold and wet). I was glad I had a waterproof jacket with snow skirt, & all the bits to make my cuffs and collar tighter (the Borsat Express at 9.30 am is a little on the chilly side). And yet later in the day when I got warm, I was pleased it was breathable and was happy to be able to open air vents etc. I even liked the little pocket in the arm for my ski pass & was comforted by the thought that if I got wiped out in a Pompeii-style avalanche, at least my kids would probably get my body back thanks to the Recco insert. I definitely noticed a huge difference over the cheaper jacket I wore when I first started skiing.

Now, about those Russell & Bromley shoes I own... yes, I could get ones from Dolcis for a fraction of the price, but that's not the point is it Wink
snow report
Quote:

that's not the point is it

Er ................. yes.
latest report
Long live the cheap & cheerful - the slopes would be a very dull place if we all wore Red, Black & grey !!

the rebellion starts here !!!!
latest report
Lizzard, it's a girl thing. I fell in love with a ski jacket in Snow + Rock and very nearly bought it just because it was gorgeous. Maybe men are happier to buy clothing that just does the job, but women often buy things they "simply have to have", and it's not to do with labels or function or performance (although on this rare occasion I did make a rational decision about my jacket, and bought a sensible one). Possibly wrongly, I believed that the point you were agreeing with above was that some 1-week-a-year recreational skiers are poseurs and are buying jackets to show off in, and it seems by analogy that you thought I meant I owned expensive shoes for the pose factor.
snow conditions
Lizzard, who said anything about a weeks skiing ? i don't ski, and i go for more than 7 days over a season

and it's a womens perogative to own many clothes and i'd hate to let the side down !
ski holidays
Cheap shoes are a false economy.
snow report
Kramer, I have to agree. I have a wide foot and high instep and have a real problem with shoes. Often I can't find any to fit - if they're not wide enough I very soon pull the upper away from the sole. Unfortunately with such hateful feet I have to buy shoes that fit and are comfortable rather than those that are in fashion - or more importantly those that I like. I do find that I often end up with expensive ones as often they do the sizes I need and they do seem to last longer than cheaper shoes. Mind you I must admit that I tend to favour things that do what they're supposed to rather than just because they look good. But if I can get things that do both - then I'm with clara_jo, there are some things you've just got to have!!
snow conditions
A decent pair of men's leather shoes with a proper leather welted sole will last a lifetime if looked after properly, and cost far less in the long term.
ski holidays
Quote:

it's a girl thing.

Clearly I'm an aardvark, in that case.

(We aardvarks are close to the ground and don't see the billboards, so we don't get suckered into buying rubbish we don't need.)
ski holidays
Some people are fashionable some people aren't - thats the way it goes !
ski holidays
I was at the cutting edge of fashion once thank-you - whenever it was that grunge was the thing and everyone was wearing jeans, Converse and ancient woolly jumpers.

There's no point in trying to keep up with fashion when you can just wait for it to catch up with you instead.
snow report
clara_jo, behind you 100% My Kurt Geiger shoes are far better than my primark specials. However they cost 20 times more and I cant knock a good bargain!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy