Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland soon free of snow?

Poster: A snowHead
From this mornings Swiss Newspapers. Interesting Photo

http://www.20min.ch/news/dossier/klimakrise/story/16067249
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this the Dutch version of spot-the-ball?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The glaciers are the last remanants of the ice age and are in decline all the time, yes the rate of decline is increasing, because like an ice cube the smaller it gets the quicker it melts.
(A level Geography 1979)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 6-02-07 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This article, on the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology site, quotes peer-reviewed research that suggests that the Swiss glaciers were less extensive in Roman times, and the tree line higher, than now.

http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/e/articles/sciencelife/gruenealpen.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 6-02-07 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, yep you took A levels when they were still worth something, it's only those who have been taking exams since the government started to manipulate the results that have had their exams devalued
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Sorry I thought you were being facetious.

I have removed it now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, careful, that was almost an apology
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, Thank you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, Sorry, couldn't concentrate on the photo's, a couple of pix immediately to the right were too distracting Madeye-Smiley

What was your point again? NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, Very Happy Toofy Grin Laughing

Note too self, buy wide screen monitor Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
boredsurfin, yep you took A levels when they were still worth something, it's only those who have been taking exams since the government started to manipulate the results that have had their exams devalued

A-Levels have been worth zip since the year dot.

Britain has been in continuous relative economic decline since roughly 1890. Long before A-Levels arrived. A-Levels have changed almost nothing for the UK. All that stuff about 'it was better in my day' is nonsense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
This article, on the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology site, quotes peer-reviewed research that suggests that the Swiss glaciers were less extensive in Roman times, and the tree line higher, than now.

http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/e/articles/sciencelife/gruenealpen.html

Glacier coverage will perhaps ebb and flow on a local basis.

But the overall global trend is clear.

The world is melting.

Ice covered roughly 30% of the world 15k years ago.

Now it is about 10%.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, yeah, and millions of years ago the world was a raging hot inferno, and then it was really cold, then really hot again.

And A levels - they're only worth zip to someone who doesn't need them to get into university or to get certain jobs. When I started at a certain card company, A levels were required in order to get onto the accelerated promotion scheme thing. And the university required that I have 3 A levels to get in. Due to my age and previous experience I could have got in with just a couple of A levels, but would have to have done a 12 month foundation course.

Did you know, if the world continues to warm a bit, then there is a distinct possibility that the flow of the Gulf Stream will reverse (I would like to point out that this has been modelled just as effectively as the modelling that has been done to predict climate change - it's not just some hair-brained idea). The flow is controlled by relative warm upper layer of salty water sinking when it gets to the coldest parts of the Arctic. If the Arctic warms by just a few degreees then this won't happen. The consequence will be that temperatures in the UK and northern Europe will plummet as they will no longer benefit from the warming action of the Gulf Stream through the English Channel and along the Atlantic coast. We will have to suffer lots more cold weather and snow - not just a little but - but lots.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 7-02-07 9:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
petemillis, If the gulf stream reverses then we will be able to ski all over the UK Very Happy
snow conditions
AxsMan,
Quote:
Sorry, couldn't concentrate on the photo's, a couple of pix immediately to the right were too distracting

Yeah, the one titles "Tanga statt Altartuch" - that's Swiss for "nice beaver"
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Indeed we will - the South Downs, Seaford Head, the Pennines, the hills and mountains of Wales. The UK will become the ski capital of Europe.
snow report
petemillis, Don't forget our famous Midland resorts of Bradgate Park, Swithland, and Beacon Hill!. (actually I HAVE seen people ski on Bradgate once or twice, I would have had a go, but couldn't find the hire shop! Very Happy ).
snow conditions
wales will be the new mecca for sking
snow report
I find it difficult to take climate change seriously when the pundits can't decide whether we're going to be grilled or deep-frozen: but they all agree it's going to be frightful. Is a middle scenario - let's call it 'sunny intervals with scattered showers' - a possibility for the British Isles?
latest report
laundryman, They can't even decide if it's going to snow in Salisbury to-night or not Shocked
snow report
Quote:

wales will be the new mecca for sking

That will be fun - a piste map with no vowels in any of the run or lift names Shocked
snow report
laundryman wrote:
I find it difficult to take climate change seriously when the pundits can't decide whether we're going to be grilled or deep-frozen: but they all agree it's going to be frightful. Is a middle scenario - let's call it 'sunny intervals with scattered showers' - a possibility for the British Isles?

global warming/cooling/tax raising/climate change could lead to decades of fantastic weather, sunny sommers, cold snowy winters.. who says it has to be a bad thing
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
laundryman wrote:

global warming/cooling/tax raising/climate change could lead to decades of fantastic weather, sunny sommers, cold snowy winters.. who says it has to be a bad thing

And rising sea levels might take out Sheppey, so it's a win-win really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy