Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Resort Info Needed!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled

We're struggling deciding where to go! We've got a week 1-7 March and are still trying to decide which resort to try. We've skied in france for the last 5-6 years and in Andorra before that.

We want somewhere we can

ski in / out
with either night skiing or where the lifts are open until at least 4pm
With plenty of skiing for intermediates (who are sometimes adventurous)
Not a million miles from an international airport

Not that I'm asking for a lot!!!

I've been put off Whistler as the BIBLE (where to ski & snowboard) says "a victim of it's own success with more visitors than it can cope with" anyone got a reply to that then???

Please help - I am desperate to get something booked!

Thanks wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only ski in ski out I have been to in Canada is Panorama, which has some good skiing for adventurous intermediates. There is a night run. It's not close to an international airport by Euro standards, but it's a pleasant and easy drive from Calgary. The down side is that there's not a lot going on away from the slopes; very limited restaurant and bar choice indeed, and the nearest town (Windemere?) is nothing to get thrilled about.

There are other Canadian ski in ski outs, no doubt someone will be along shortly.

However, if you're going to Canada, you might as well make the most of it and go somewhere witha bit of character, such as Banff. Not ski in ski out, but that's a small price to pay for a delightful town and loads of very good skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
Thanks for the info.

I looked at Banff but the travelling does put me off. Is there no skiing at all actually in Banff? Or have I read that wrong?

Just read a report on Fernie so will look into that too. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, Fernie is ski in ski out, if you stay at Fernie Alpine Resort, which is 3 miles from the main town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did Banff last year and are going againin two weeks. I was worried about the travelling, but it really isn't too bad. The coach pick-up service is excellent, there are numerous pick-up points. This year we get a bus stop outside the hotel (Mount Royal)

The drive to Lake Louise is 45minutes but it's over in no time and if you take the first bus you can be there before 9am. Lifts open at 9am and stay open till 4pm, I think that extends to 4:30pm later in the season. So you get a full days skiing in, even with the travelling. On the way home there is time for a 40min snooze before arriving at Banff. All Travel is included in the Tri-Area Ski pass fees.

Sunshine Village is only 20min on the bus, but then there is 15min on the gondala to the slopes. But with those views it's soon over.

Banff is great for food and shopping, loads of ski stores. Remember that most of Canada is Room Only so you need to go out for meals. We stayed at a catered chalet last year, the Rocky Mountain Chalet, run by CrystalSki, I think it's the only one in Banff and we had to book it 18months in advance.

The other advice I would give is to choose your hotel carefully, if your hotel is on the start of a pick-up trail around town you could spend 15min picking up before you set off. mount Royal is the next to last before leaving town so not so bad.

We went over half term last year, 10 days from 21st feb and didn't queue for more than 2-3mins all holiday, the lift queues were empty, check the live webcams at www.skibanff.com if you don't believe it, the queues are empty all day

Only 17 sleeps to go before we get there Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Big White and Silver Star in BC are both fully ski-in/ski-out. Don't have time to post more details now, but if you do a search you'll find a few recent threads on them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you;ve only got a week, stay in europe where you will meet all your requirements and not have the issue of massive travelling times for just one week's skiing.

if you absolutely *have* to go to Canada, go to Whistler, it's really not as bad as the "bible" makes out, and even iis busy is fine as the queues in Canada are well organised so every lift is filled unlike Europe where you can see 8 seaters with 1 or 2 on them
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waterskibabe, was there this year and last
this year (jan for 10 days ) was a lot more busy. the snow was excellent and don't get me wrong we had a good time but I think we timed it wrong as it co-incided with a US holiday weekend.
There is plenty of intermediate skiing to keep you happy for 10 days.
Let us know if you want any comments on bars and hotels Rob
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waterskibabe, as stevev says, the travelling is not a prob. If you don't do ski in ski out, I'd recommend car hire; a TO will usually chuck it in instead of the transfer, if not the cost is small. It avoids the transfer (for me the worst part of a ski hol) and gives you freedom to move around as you wish. Driving about is easy, the roads are quiet and scenic and parking is well organised. Sunshine is about 15/20 mins drive, Mt Norquay about 10 mins, LL about 30/40 mins. There are other ski spots easily driveable from Banff, but in a week you won't want to bother. Banff town is one of my favourite places, well worth a visit.

nbt's point (stay in Europe if you're only going for a week) is a fair one. We did two single weeks in Canada (LL), and although it's not ideal, it's worth it in my view, and I'd do it again. I suppose that the nightlife is less important if you're only going for a week, as you'll probably be falling asleep over your beer at about 9.00pm (if you're like me), so Panorama might be OK. The upside is that you're awake bright and early, ready to get out on those slopes, normally a major problem for the Richmond family.

I'd love to visit Whistler. No doubt it has it's downside, but don't forget that Candian standards of snow quality and crowds are higher then ours in Europe; they expect perfect, fresh, snow, no lift queues and no more than about 10 people per run at any one time; anything worse than that is not to be tolerated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Park City would be my choice - stay at the resort centre and there is night skiing every night and you can virtually ski into your bedroom. It is about an hour from Salt Lake City airport. You can also ski Deer Valley and The Canyons both about 10 mins ride and also Snowbird and Alta about 40 mins ride. Park City town centre is a 5 min ride and a really great old mining town with lots of bars, restaurants and a working tram. Lots of flattering skiing for intermediates et al.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waterskibabe wrote:
Puzzled

I've been put off Whistler as the BIBLE (where to ski & snowboard) says "a victim of it's own success with more visitors than it can cope with" anyone got a reply to that then???

Thanks wink

I'm going to Whistler in March and I was concerned about those same comments in 'Where to ski and Snowboard'. So I asked the question here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23284

Banff is also an absolute must! Don't be put off by the need to get a bus to the ski areas. The Coaches are comfortable, on time, driven by people that smile and say things like "hello" (unlike Europe) and take you through some of the most spectacular scenery you'll ever see. I actually enjoy the bus trip!!!

Apart from that;

Good exchange rate and Banff is quite cheap
Great tree lined ski terrain
Excellent snow
Pistes are quiet
Hardly any lift queues
Very good ski school
Lovely vibrant town
Pubs and restaurants aren't full of cigarette smoke
Friendly people
Wildlife everywhere

If you don't go this year make sure you try it some other time. 10 days would be better really because of the jet lag.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow - I'm spoilt for choice!

I agree that 10 days would be better but as my mum is babysitting (bless her!) we've no chance of that. We do normally go to France and love it but due to the seasons poor conditions (we've already had an ok week at Christmas) need something a bit more "perfect"

Thanks for all the info I'll be up all night now researching them - I'm very sad!

Boris - everything you quoted above does seem just what were after!

Stevev - never thought about the pick ups before - but a very good point!

Thanks everyone - see you on the slopes sometime! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waterskibabe, with your list of requirements I would definitely second Okanagan's suggestion of Big White. It is totally ski in/ski out, has a large aea of night skiing every evening, and good for intermediates. It has excellent snow and great glade (tree) skiing. The only thing is you will need an internal flight to the local airport Kelowna.

Some previous recent threads on Big White here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23774
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=510371
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=539899

I've been to Banff twice and do love it there - but I think Big White is the better choice, especially when combined with Silver Star.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waterskibabe, Am off to Fernie this Saturday for 11 days will be able to give you an up to date
report if you like. I pretty much was after what you wanted so should be ideal
And with them having over 580cms already the skiing should be magic
If fact I can't wait!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waterskibabe wrote:

We want somewhere we can

ski in / out
with either night skiing or where the lifts are open until at least 4pm
With plenty of skiing for intermediates (who are sometimes adventurous)
Not a million miles from an international airport

Big White ticks all those boxes, except the last one! You have to take a short internal flight to Kelowna.

I've been to both Whistler and Banff previously. I agree Whistler can get a bit crowded (by Canadian standards) and Banff is not exactly ski-in/out.
snow conditions
jimmybob, - Definatley update me with your views of Fernie! I was looking at Kimberley too and thought that looked good.

People seem keen on Big White though so I'll look at that too.

Thanks again - keep them coming!
latest report
jimmybob,
Very jealous, went last year. Fantastic, going back next year.
Have a wicked time. snowHead
ski holidays
Spyderman, cheers will do
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy