Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning a trip to Austria - Resort advice required

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, newbie here Smile

I'm planning a trip to Austria late this year (Dec) with my friend who boards (I ski).

Having never been to Austria before, I wouldn't mind some suggestions as to where to look at.

I prefer the quiet resorts, not too busy on the runs, or big queues for the lifts etc.

Also, we're planning on going December time, so a good bit of snow that time of year too.

Would anyone mind reccomending me a few places to look at?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well took a mixed group of boarders/skiiers to St. anton in Jan and we all loved it...but it's not exactly quiet...spent a couple of days in Lech as well which is good but very cruisy compared too st. anton.

what kind of stuff do you ski / what kind of stuff do you like skiing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
that early look for snowmaking - we really enjoyed schladming in jan last year. Quiet cruisy pistes and easy access from salzburg airport. ajxx
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottland,
Welcome to snowHead 's
Pre christmas most resorts should be quiet and for early season I always think it is best to see where the snow has fallen before booking. If you are going for late Dec towards New Year or you particualrly want to book early there are the glacier resorts. In addition Lech /St. A, Ischgl /Galtur, Obergurgl and Obertauern are all said to be decent for early snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

What about the ski-amade area??

This year the skiing started on the 12th December even though the snow conditions were not that great, but they made a lot of snow. Also the area has the Dachstein glacier on the same lift pass.:-

http://en.skiamade.com/

If you want quite piste and no lifts come to our area :-

http://www.hochkoenig.at/cms.php/4041/1/0

this is a picture of the piste at 9 o'clock on a typical day:-

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/musicman1000/Picture118.jpg

Any more questions send us a pm.

Nigel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why are you planning a trip in December when it's only early Feb ??? ... you should be planning a trip late Feb or March!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rich, I've only just got back Saturday from my last trip Very Happy

Thanks for the welcome, I'll start checking out some of those resorts.

I don't have any particular dates in mind, but I would like it before xmas, and beginning of Dec is probably the first chance of decent snow. But I could shift that into Jan if there's only going to be a few resorts with patchy snow.

My friend who I will be travelling with is a novice with limited on piste experience (not that I'm much better mind! NehNeh), so any resorts need to have a good range of easy and intermediate runs as well as more challenging ones.

Thanks for the help guys
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi there,

Would definately reccomend Obertaurn or Obergurgl/Hochgurgl - both relatively quiet, both pretty snowsure, and both have good network of pistes at all levels.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scottland,
Based on what you are saying I would scrub St Anton from my list of suggestions it really has very little gentle skiing and what there is is often crowded relative to other resorts.

If you can do January it is generally more reliable for snow than Dec (Though not this year in Austria from what I read). It is still worth booking late if you can as resorts really can vary quite a lot early season in unpredictable ways in their snow quality. On your criteria there should be an awful lot of resorts that would work very well and january is low season and you can almost invariably find accommodation last minute providing you are not trying something like Kitzbuhel at Hahnenkam weekend.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dont crystal or inghams do 'white weeks' offer in obergurgl at the start of december - like an all inclusive deal with skis etc?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd echo neilkav, and Mattmulkeen, - Obergurgl is good that time of year and should suit the both of you
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys. I've had a look arouns, and have a good idea what most of the resorts mentioned are like.

If I were to look at Obergurgl, can anyone reccomend somewhere to stay? Prefereable an apartment for 2-5 people. But a hotel is ok, if it's not too expensive Smile

Also, I have had a look at Solden, and this resort looks like it would be good also?

TIA
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scottland, Solden has good skiing and a glacier so guaranteed snow but the resort is very rowdy... apres is very germanic and booze orientated, but may be quieter at that time of year. Obergurgl is more traditional, pretty, quieter and more sophisiticated. Obergurgl is also very snow sure but you can always get the ski bus down the valley to Solden if the snows not great. It depends what sort of holiday you're after... If it's couples or family I reckon Obergurgl is best, if it's a lads trip then Solden could be what you're looking for...

Not sure if you'll have much joy with an apartment in Obergurgl. I'd ask the tourist office, but it's mainly 3-5 star hotels. There are Pensions but there aren't too many eat out options unless you use the hotel restaurants in which case you may as well stay in one!! Haus Gugl is a nice B&B in the centre...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went to SOlden recently, there is a quiet end of town and a more noisy one, which is by the Giggijoch lift.
Like any resort, you can make of it what you want.
People always went on about Pas de la Casa in Andorra being Ibiza on ice. It was nothing like it at all ! Chill out bars, lively bars, whatever.

Obergurgl is meant to be pretty and Hoch-gurgl in particular. The snow in Austria is decent enough on piste at the moment and the glaciers in Solden have good snow. If you want off piste, then they were'nt very good a few weeks back.
snow report
Relatively snow secure although cheap flights and following the snow is my standard advice (I bet there's a few wish they had done that this year).

Obergurgl
Obertauern
Kaprun
Sölden
Hintertux
snow report
Thanks for all your comments (again) Smile

We'll be driving over from the UK, if we were to go to Solden or Obergurgl - what are the roads like - snow/ice wise?
snow conditions
Long drive up to Obergurgl. Take chains or 4WD preferably.
ski holidays
Scottland wrote:
Thanks for all your comments (again) Smile

We'll be driving over from the UK, if we were to go to Solden or Obergurgl - what are the roads like - snow/ice wise?

Don't even consider driving without winter tyres and chains. People might advise you what they got away with driving to France but in Austria it's different. There are insurnace & safety implications if you haven't got winter tyres (even if you have a 4x4). A much higher percentage of the roads are in the mountains when compared to France. Virtually all car drivers in Austria put on winter tyres, the ones who don't are considered idiots.

Do a serch on "winter wheels" or "winter tyres".
latest report
Solden's not as high though. Check the snow conditions first.
When we were there the roads through town were fine and most of the way up the mountain.

Obergurgl is higher though I think. Puzzled
ski holidays
Thanks for that, we were planning on taking a hire car - so we may reconsider. Although we can still have chains if they would be sufficient
ski holidays
Scottland, If you are driving from the UK, and arranging your own accommodation, then another possibility is the Zillertal valley - not going as far up as Mayrhofen if you want a quieter resort. Hochfugen or Kaltenbach share a ski area with pretty reliable snow and good snowmaking (it was where we were taken when there was no snow in Neiderau in January this year).

Neither of those are served by ANY of the large UK tour operators, because they don't have very many hotels (but enough for you - I have seen suggestions that the big operators only go to places which can offer them at least 700 beds).

There is one small operator (Redpoint http://www.redpoint.co.uk/) that only operates to Hochfugen and nowhere else but doesn't do packages including travel.

Or there is Zell am Ziller in between those two and Mayrhofen.

And you can get a weekly pass that covers the whole valley, including theHintertux glacier if snow is really bad.
snow conditions
Scottland wrote:
Thanks for that, we were planning on taking a hire car - so we may reconsider. Although we can still have chains if they would be sufficient

Chains alone won't satisfy the Austrian insurance companies even if someone hits you it'll most likely end up being your fault if you don't have winter tyres. I've driven to Obergurgl and there's no way I would even consider driving there on anything but winter tyres. Snowchains are for when conditions get really hairy, they are not a substitute for winter tyres.

Central europe hasn't got the sea to warm it up, snow very rarely lasts for more than a day in the UK. In central europe mountain roads can be frozen for months. Think of refrozen slush on a steep hill with new snow on top, summer tryres just can't deal with it providing neither the traction to accelerate or brake effectively. Do you really want to risk your family and car on that sort of stuff? A cheap flight probably won't cost much more but it'll be much less risky.
ski holidays
Jesus ...the risks we've been taking for all these years (30) without winter tyres...should be dead by now. If you have chains as a precaution and know when and how to use them you'll be fine. if you want to stay that's another matter perhaps.

And don't bother pre-booking any accomm. Despite the rather obvious masses of zimmer free (room available) signs you'll be seeing outside all these very, very comfy and cheap b&b's, the local tourist offices are generally very good at getting you what you need.

Try a few resorts in the tirol that you have never heard of - like Lermoos. Places like that manage to produce world champions and so on, can't be all bad.
latest report
ron allan wrote:
Jesus ...the risks we've been taking for all these years (30) without winter tyres...should be dead by now. If you have chains as a precaution and know when and how to use them you'll be fine. if you want to stay that's another matter perhaps.

And don't bother pre-booking any accomm. Despite the rather obvious masses of zimmer free (room available) signs you'll be seeing outside all these very, very comfy and cheap b&b's, the local tourist offices are generally very good at getting you what you need.

Try a few resorts in the tirol that you have never heard of - like Lermoos. Places like that manage to produce world champions and so on, can't be all bad.

Your third post here and you have effectively advised someone to drive without full insurance in a foreign country and then advised them to visit a ski resort with 33km of piste. http://www.bergfex.com/lermoos/
You could drive around with duff insurnace and bald tyres for thrity years in the UK but it doesn't make it right. I'd agree with you that you don't have to book accommodation for Dec (exc Xmas) esp not after this season's snow though.
snow conditions
Quote:

Solden's not as high though. Check the snow conditions first.
When we were there the roads through town were fine and most of the way up the mountain.

Obergurgl is higher though I think.

Solden has a glacier which they bus you down to from Obergurgl if the snows no good. The resort itself is lower though.
ski holidays
Another vote for Obergurgl/Hochgurgl. Ticks most of the boxes for you.
ski holidays
Have a think about Ski Amade. We are 45 mins from Salzburg. Ski Amade had excellent skiing from the beginning of Dec. We are also just 20 mins from Obertauern which opens mid Nov although its not on the Ski Amade lift pass.

Also- winter tyres - you must have winter tyres on your car by 1st Nov.

Snow chains - you only need them with you to travel on certain roads - you will see huge road signs with pictures of wheels and chains. The road to Obertauern requires you to carry chains - as does Zachensee. Basicly its the roads that climb high - if the conditions are bad then they close the road, although they are very good at keeping roads clear over here.

PS - just had loads of snowfall - the skiing is fab!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy